PDA

View Full Version : week long expo trip

Roostercruiser
November 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
lets get an expo trip started like winky sugested. i was thinkking moab down into arizoona then over to new mexico via backroads and mountains. maybe next september when its cooler outside. how about it? around 7-10 day trip

transplant87
November 17th, 2009, 11:24 PM
man i wish i could go but im about to start school:mad:

Medic-5150
November 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM
lets get an expo trip started like winky sugested. i was thinkking moab down into arizoona then over to new mexico via backroads and mountains. maybe next september when its cooler outside. how about it? around 7-10 day trip

I'd be up for this, depending on my work schedule and other things. That's a ways away and I know my life will be about 100% different by then. Sounds like fun though, I'll continue to follow this

WINKY
November 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
i can plan for that. ill have enough $ saved and the truck will be ready by then too.

Medic-5150
November 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
i can plan for that. ill have enough $ saved and the truck will be ready by then too.

I might have to ride with someone. My truck won't be built in time for anything serious. I could easily be the on site medical guy though.

SubaCool
November 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Could be fun :thunb: Definitely a long ways out and plenty of time to plan. Subscribed...

WINKY
November 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I might have to ride with someone. My truck won't be built in time for anything serious. I could easily be the on site medical guy though.

shoot your truck can make it, bring a tent, water food and your fine. couple fuel cans... just like a long camping trip.:thunb:

doing an expo trip isnt a hardcore wheeling trip, it wont be graded dirt roads either. prolly like a 5 highest most of the time out of 10 on difficulty.

Roostercruiser
November 18th, 2009, 12:00 AM

same here ill be done with my truck for a while . ill have my tires lockers and gears , sliders. i know yiu wanted to moab this year. next year you can still do a moab aand then some.

Medic-5150
November 18th, 2009, 12:00 AM
shoot your truck can make it, bring a tent, water food and your fine. couple fuel cans... just like a long camping trip.:thunb:

I guess it'd probably be alright. I want to put a 100 gallon tank in the bed with a tool box on top of it for expo type things like this. We'll see how things are goin around that time

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
look up http://www.transferflow.com/

Roostercruiser
November 18th, 2009, 12:13 AM
get my interior set up lke that black burb on expo

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i guess the first steps would be to get a commitment from at least 2 people, set a date and stick to it, make sure those dates can be had and adhered to. Its far enough out that $ shouldnt be a prob for most to save. Also get yer rigs ready too.

I will start doing research on routes, fuel stops etc..

we need suggestions on places to go and travel throough.

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM
my dates are very flexible and i can make them whenever.

I think Roland and i can commit to this and set a date in sept. Once the plan is in full swing and all we have to do it wait for the date to get here, the trip will be posted as planned trail run.

the 6th of september is labor day, that might work on reducing used time off or vacation time. so how does the second week in sept sound?

We all can gather at a specified location saturday morning 4th early am and plan the trip to be back in town sunday the 12th am or noonish.

Roostercruiser
November 18th, 2009, 01:46 AM
wurks fir me . im getting exited fir this trip.

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 02:52 AM
ive already started on my todo list...lol:(

Brody
November 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Sounds fun, but we can't even think about planning for something like this. We will probably do the same thing as we have done the last couple of years and start to save for an island vacation as soon as we get back from this one, which puts trips like this on the far back burner. This coming year is probably going to be much more sporting as neither one of us has what amounts to job opportunities awaiting when we return...

This one sounds like a lot of the climbing vacations I have taken where the main vacation part was in Yosemite Valley, but getting there, we stopped at every climbing areas we passed for a day and took turns driving at night to get to the next one. For instance, the last trip we climbed at Escalante Canyon and another area just outside of Grand Junction. Then drove to Salt Lake for climbing in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. We then hit climbing areas around Lake Tahoe, then to Lover's Leap and Donner Summit. We then went to Calavera's Domes, and then to Toulemne Meadows. Yosemite Valley was next. We then climbed at Red River Gorge, then climbed in the Tetons, then Vedauwoo, then back home. Didn't have too much skin left when we got back home, but it was a killer trip. I have done a number of trips like this and they rock!

As a suggestion for another trip, you could do a similar one, but head up to South Dakota. The ending wheeling spot is only about 10 hours away.

scout man
November 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
although I can by no means commit to this, I am game depending on what life looks like by then. As of now I have tons of time on my hands. If I am still working independantly as I hope to be by then, I am in if I have the money. In other words... maybe.

Patrolman
November 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
All I have to say is that Moab and AZ will still be scorching at Labor Day. Late September into early October is GREAT weather out there! I know it is 1 more vacation day needed, but to me, the weather can make or break the trip.

Smash
November 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I can't commit as this point, as I have no idea what my employment status will be. I already have 1 week long motorcycle trip planned and paid for for next year. If I have to get a new job in January, I imagine that will be my only vacation for next year. Will just have to wait and see.

Brody
November 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
All I have to say is that Moab and AZ will still be scorching at Labor Day. Late September into early October is GREAT weather out there! I know it is 1 more vacation day needed, but to me, the weather can make or break the trip.

X2....you don't have to deal with 100 degree heat during the day and have it still be hot at night. Absolutely no fun. That, and the fact that Labor Day weekend will make Moab an absolute zoofest, so unless there is going to be enough of a bounty on dead fools and idiots to make this worthwhile, maybe you should extend the dates like Jeff suggests.

It also sounds like there are way too many people in LaDawn's and my boat, where they have absolutely no idea if they are going to have a job or any income. Kinda hard to plan that far ahead with economics as they are for far too many people.

white collar redneck dad
November 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
That sounds like fun!! Probably 10 tanks of fuel,,then camping, then food?? being single dad -- I maybe up for this one as long as gas does not go back to $4 / gallon....:(

Andrew
November 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Buy the gas now :p

ShutUpHippie
November 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Interested for sure guys, but there are about a million directions I could be heading in by then... I'll follow the thread and see what becomes as it gets closer though.

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
good points jeff and pete. we are still in planning stages :)

Funrover
November 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I had brought this up during the summer.... Following the Continental Divide route used in '88. it would be a fun 7 - 10 day trip

Smash
November 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I had brought this up during the summer.... Following the Continental Divide route used in '88. it would be a fun 7 - 10 day trip

:bow:

WINKY
November 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
that would be a good plan, throw in the grand canyons too

SubaCool
November 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Got any more info on that?

Funrover
November 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Got any more info on that?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5944&highlight=divide

There is what I started.