PDA

View Full Version : B-Day Run

BlackRubi
November 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a run in the middle of December. I'm wanting to do a run on my birthday (14th) or that weekend (18th-20th). I know it's really close to the holidays, but I want to get out there again, and something always seems to come up that causes me to miss the runs. I'm looking for something easy to moderate, but I don't know what a good trail would be for that in the middle of December.

Aaaand....go....

Haku
November 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Its hard to say. Really depends on how much snow we get between now and then. I'd say give it a week or two before you choose. Maybe the first week in December or something. There are some decent choices in lower elelvation areas. Rampart Range area seems to be a good choice for moderate wheeling with minimal snow.

JH

BlackRubi
November 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Josh.
I'll give it some time.
I'll look at what seems like it would work but everyone's suggestions would really help!
I know that with it being mid-December and close to the holidays, I probably wouldn't have a metric butt-load of people like yesterday's run, but a few of us would be fun.

Rob
November 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Josh.
I'll give it some time.
I'll look at what seems like it would work but everyone's suggestions would really help!
I know that with it being mid-December and close to the holidays, I probably wouldn't have a metric butt-load of people like yesterday's run, but a few of us would be fun.

I don't know about that. It seems snow runs attract more rigs than your standard run-of-the-mill summer runs. I was surprised the eight or 10 rigs that signed up turned into 21 ... 23 if you count the two guys from RS who ran it early then ran the top half with the rest of us. But it was a fast run for that many rigs.

Mporter
November 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Yet again, if snow is not a big factor...and given the day, I may be able to attend.

transplant87
November 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM
if i can get my new bumper done by then im in and will have some seats if ppl dont have the money to go and i wont be worried about gas money either if they do want to ride with

BlackRubi
November 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
OK...so it's about a month out....let's get this thread started back up. Any suggestions for a trail?

transplant87
November 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
ok so bumper wont be done till i get a job. so im in as long as its a weekend. y dont we do a couple trails.

Smash
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I might be in if it is the 20th, all depending on how the truck runs at C.O.R.E. I'm honestly anticipating that I'll have to adjust/fix some things after that run, and the oly day I have to do that is the 20th. So, all depends.

CR
November 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
How about Sevenmile? If you go on the weekend I should be able to make it.

Andrew
November 24th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I could probably do sevenmile that weekend.

Chris
November 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I may be in, just have to figure out why my truck is running like crap.

Andrew
November 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM

It's pissed at you for going to Hawaii and leaving it all cold and alone.

Smash
November 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
It's pissed at you for going to Hawaii and leaving it all cold and alone.

+1 :lol:

Chris
November 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I talked to her nicely and apologized but that didn't help. :mad:

Seriously, this was going on for a while before we left. I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

Smash
November 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I think Sevenmile might be a bit of a drive for us on gas. Still need to buy a tranny mount and engine mounts, plus whatever I find after CORE. However, things might look up, and we might be good to go.

Plan away, I will know if we are in or out after CORE.

BlackRubi
November 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Need some help, Chris? I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world, but I enjoy doing it.

I'd be up for Sevenmile and/or the whole Mud Loop (looking at Traildamage, they connecting trails seem to have some more rocks). Or will it be the Ice Loop by then?
That is, unless it's too far of a drive for a majority of those that want to go.

Chris
November 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Need some help, Chris? I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world, but I enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the offer Kyle. I have to get off my lazy @ss and pull some codes to see what the problem is. I'll let you know if I could use your help once I figure it out. :thunb:

BlackRubi
November 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the offer Kyle. I have to get off my lazy @ss and pull some codes to see what the problem is. I'll let you know if I could use your help once I figure it out. :thunb:
Sweet. Sounds good to me.
I'll come over even if you just need someone to BS with while you do it.

Haku
November 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The Mudloop is a very long day, so just be prepared for it. Its a great trail though, and while its kinda chunky and winds through the woods, is a good trail for just about any rig to be able to get through. Porkchop and I did it at the end of the summer, and its fun. Not sure its named well, since its more mud puddle rather then mud pit. Nothing too bad and deep, but fun to splash into.

I might be up for something too, but will know better as it gets closer.

JH

BlackRubi
November 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I might be in if it is the 20th, all depending on how the truck runs at C.O.R.E. I'm honestly anticipating that I'll have to adjust/fix some things after that run, and the oly day I have to do that is the 20th. So, all depends.
Hope you and Karla go. Ashley wanted to meet up with Karla again. She felt kinda bad about not being in the best mood on Red Cone. It was a longer day than she expected and had plans to go out that night.

Smash
November 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey no worries, we had a great time with both of you. Redcone was a long day, if you aren't in the right mindset to handle a day like that (which I think you probably should be whenever wheeling, especially in a group) it's easy to not have very much fun.

Time will tell, we'll hope to make it.

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Ok...so let's get this going for good now. What is the general consensus of where people want to go? Do we want something close-by, like a 1/2 day run, or something that's going to take all day? As soon as we figure out where to go, I'll get it on the calendar. Ashley likes moderately tippy trails (me...not so much), I dig rocky and muddy trails. Ideas?

Smash
December 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
We are unfortunately out. Karla is hardly getting any hours at work so money is very tight. CORE will knock out our offroad funds for the month.

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm still down for going.

I prefer more of a 1/2 day type thing - which could turn into longer you never know. I'd prefer not to have to drive too terribly far, but depending on the trail I'd go.

Slaughterhouse would have probably been a fun trail if they didn't doze it.

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm with you...something close would probably be best. What days are you available? I have church on Sundays, but I might be able to skip a day.

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I usually prefer to go on Saturday. But I could go either the 19th or 20th.

I like Saturday runs because you have Sunday in case something breaks and worst case you gotta leave a rig, come back into town and get something or fix up a stop gap or basically give you time to at least get it back into town without having to be at work the next day.

I doubt we'll be doing a trail that would cause any worry this time of year but you never know.

Though as for church...John Muir said (regarding Hetch Hetchy valley):

"One may as well dam for water tanks the people's cathedrals and churches, for no holier temple has ever been consecrated by the heart of man."

So you would be going to Nature's Temple ;)

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Nice. LOL.
Saturday sounds good. Now for a trail.
Ashley wants to do Red Cone again. I told her absolutely not. Especially with the snow. Plus there's that washout. And.....I'm really not wanting to drive that far.

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Red Cone and Webster, IMO, are done for the season.

WINKY
December 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
i cant do sunday runs cause i work that night. this might change as i might be going to days again next year

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
i cant do sunday runs cause i work that night. this might change as i might be going to days again next year
What about Saturdays?

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh crap I forgot something.

On Saturday, I'm supposed to take my GF out to dinner. Something about some anniversary or something lol.

Funrover
December 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Red Cone and Webster, IMO, are done for the season.

Snowshoes and snowboard are ready to go! :thunb:

WINKY
December 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
What about Saturdays?

saturdays work if i have gas money but dont plan around me.

On Saturday, I'm supposed to take my GF out to dinner. Something about some anniversary or something lol.

bring a picnic and take her to the woods with everyone...:lol:

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM

If we make it an earlier, close-by run, you could be back in time for dinner. Bring her along for the run. Maybe, she'll have such a good time that she'll totally forget about dinner. :lol:

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
It's possible to do a run...but you never know how things can end up and I don't want to be stuck up somewhere...I'll have reservations so.... yeah.

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well, just let me know if there's something that would work for you. It doesn't look like too many people are in on this, so...

Chris
December 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hey Kyle, this thread is pretty long, could you do a recap for those of us that don't feel like starting at the beginning?

Andrew
December 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
If you do Sunday I'm okay with that. I just forgot the Saturday thing. Don't want to upset the :princess:

Rob
December 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Kyle, this thread is pretty long, could you do a recap for those of us that don't feel like starting at the beginning?

I thought retired guys had all the time in the world?

Just start reading at Post No. 23, but the gist is Kyle wants to do a birthday run. Now you're caught up. :)

BlackRubi
December 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
That's pretty much it. Been too long since I've been able to get out and make a run, so....
I'm looking at the weekend of the 19th and 20th. Whatever works for others. I'm fairly flexible, but I do like to make church on Sundays, so if we do a Sunday run, it would have to be something close-by. Saturdays are pretty much open. Especially considering the fact that college football is winding down and the Longhorns are off that weekend. :thunb:
Whatever works best for the general population should work for me.

The first part of the thread is basically me bringing it up, and then the thread dying a couple of times.

BlackRubi
December 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
OK...time is running out and I don't want this to be a last minute thing (although it kinda is already). Let's pick a trail and get it on the calendar. I'm thinking Saturday works best, so that's taken care of. Now for suggestions for trails and....go.

Haku
December 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM
hehee.......you said it, pick a trail. Its your run, you decide. Lots to choose from, Yankee Hill is good, stuff around MSV/Bunce School is good, stuff in the Rampart Range is good, just choose one and make it happen huh?:thunb:

JH

WINKY
December 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
hehee.......you said it, pick a trail. Its your run, you decide. Lots to choose from, Yankee Hill is good, stuff around MSV/Bunce School is good, stuff in the Rampart Range is good, just choose one and make it happen huh?:thunb:

JH

Self empowerment is a good thing.

"if you pick it they will come"....:lol:

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM
What is good that hasn't been run in a little while? I know Yankee Hill was done not too long ago. MSV/Bunce too.

Smash
December 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
We are out unfortunately, cash flow is at a standstill!!

I agree with Winky, just pick where you'd like to go and do it!

Big Red
December 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey,
Bunce school is "around the corner" from my place, and i'm going up there today to cut wood, maybe shoot...;) I'll give a report of snow conditions.

I've been asked for pics of my rig so i'll get some "action" shots (posed:rolleyes:) today.

Anyone else want to play in the snow????:D

MC

Haku
December 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
What is good that hasn't been run in a little while? I know Yankee Hill was done not too long ago. MSV/Bunce too.

Options are pretty limited this time of year. The Rampart Range area might be good, something like Missouri and Illinois Gulch. Pretty tame trails and a bit of driving to get there, but worth doing. Missouri Gulch has a fun obstacle on called Moab Hill. Everywhere else will have quite a bit of snow I think, so not sure. I'm fine with doing repeat runs of stuff, as it will likely happen again. Might be some stuff on the Western Slope, but thats a long haul for a day of wheeling, so camping overnight would be advisable on that.

JH

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I don't see Ashley wanting to camp. She's feeling kinda crappy as it is. By then it'll be gone, but I wouldn't want her to be out in the cold all night.

I'll wait on Big Red's report, but I'm thinking MSV/Bunce don't sound too bad.. Is T-33 closed for the time being? What other trails are in the area that are open and enjoyable.

Is Illinois Gulch pretty good, Josh? That could be another option.

Haku
December 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I don't see Ashley wanting to camp. She's feeling kinda crappy as it is. By then it'll be gone, but I wouldn't want her to be out in the cold all night.

I'll wait on Big Red's report, but I'm thinking MSV/Bunce don't sound too bad.. Is T-33 closed for the time being? What other trails are in the area that are open and enjoyable.

Is Illinois Gulch pretty good, Josh? That could be another option.

Its pretty tame, with a big obstacle to have some fun on. Essentially its just a dirt track through the woods that goes up to a Moab Hill. Probably 2-3 hours from Denver each way. Just looked it up, its about 2 hours from my place in Lakewood to the trailhead. You go up Highway 285 till you get to Pine Junction (between Conifer and Bailey) and head south for about an hour. This is the road that goes through the worst part of the Hayman fire area, so its kinda cool to see.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=222

Some videos on there of Moab Hill, and a good description. Its a pretty short trail, but you can spend a lot of time on Moab hill trying a bunch of different lines and such.

Not sure if Plane Crash is open or not, but I imagine it is. At the least it would be worth trying if its open and we are up there. I'd be up for either the 19th or 20th, so pick a day and one/several of the trails to give a try and I'm sure people will go.

JH

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Alright. I'm thinking MSV/Bunce/maybe Miller, T-33, or Ironclads (whichever is open).

Andrew
December 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I believe MSV is closed. I know you can't get to T-33 on Bunce.

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Any other good trails that are open and not too far of a drive to get there? Maybe Johnny Park? Left Hand Canyon?

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
How long does Yankee Hill take?

Chris
December 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
As long as you want or a couple hours if you want to get done quickly. That would probably be a good choice.

Big Red
December 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Well,
I just got back from Bunce, and it's snowing, HARD!:D Anyway, i went up 217 and then right (north) on 115 (bunce school) and out. Main trails are doable, but a definate challenge to a stock rig (expect to get stuck!). Had to bust some drifts, but that's where the 37's come in handy (not to mention 300+HP). Side trails are untouched, go as you dare!

I didn't go south on 115 further, due to time and weather constraints, but from past experiance, i'd say anyone could find a challenge up there, and a really good way to see what your rig does in snow from 1" to 1 foot. :thunb:

I'll keep you posted as to new snowfall, but if you want to play in the snow, this is it, and fun for stock to full-built rigs (you may want a body and heater!)

MC

WINKY
December 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM
look out west, there is a snowstorm sitting on top of the mountains... this is where all that wind was coming from today.

BlackRubi
December 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking Yankee sounds really good. Thoughts?

Rob
December 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Pole Hill and Johnny Park are also still open and should be doable without presenting any major problems, unless it's snowing up there, too. They might get closed soon. They're a little farther away, too.

I'd stay away from Left Hand if it's snowing. We had fun there recently in the snow, but it was white knuckles a lot of the time.

BlackRubi
December 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think I've decided on Yankee Hill. It will be on the calendar momentarily.

Andrew
December 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Well post up the conditions when you get back. I might be headed up to Yankee with some friends on the 20th since I can't go on the 19th.

transplant87
December 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
look out west, there is a snowstorm sitting on top of the mountains... this is where all that wind was coming from today.
i thought it was randy blasting gas:eek::lol:

Fordguy77
December 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
i thought it was randy blasting gas:eek::lol:

hell man that was my guess too

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Please go to Planned Runs for further discussion since it's finally been decided upon:
http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=77343