PDA

View Full Version : scout worries

scout man
November 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I just went outside to move my scout from my driveway to the curb (10 feet??) and it started great, shifted great, and when I got out I noticed it dumped about a quart of tranny fluid on the ground right where I stopped. I have driven it a ton lately with no issues, and the best I can tell it spit this fluid out of my tranny vent tube. I did re-vent this myself, but have had absolutely no problems with it. I unfortunately wont have a chance to look at it until next week, but why would I suddenly be spitting fluid out of my vents? The vent tube dumps about 3 feet above the tranny, and has a loop in it... so to push that much fluid out it was pushing pretty hard. This worries me because I dont want to pull this tranny out again. Is this something that could just happen as a fluke incident or should I be seriously worried? my best guess is a piece of contaminate must have gotten stuck somewhere and forced the fluid out the vent?? Any thoughts?

Funrover
November 5th, 2009, 05:03 PM
We had a similar issue with a truck a couple years back. When parked uphill for awhile is spilt trans fluid from the vent did it 2 times in 3 years. Never had that issue again

scout man
November 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
thats kind of what I am hoping for. I last parked it early in the morning after the snow storm, so it would have been really cold out, and it was parked up hill. Wondering if since it was warm today that change made a difference? I may drive it tonight and see what happens. Maybe I will just put a clear catch pan after the tube and keep an eye on it.

gm4x4lover
November 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Some times auto tranny's have a thermostat in them that wont allow fluid movement to the cooler untill it warms up enough. Maybe you caught it just right and it over filled it self.

Patrolman
November 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Should have converted it to a stick, right? ;)

scout man
November 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
i drove it to go meet with Hypoid tonight and didnt have any problems or lose any additional fluids. I think I am going to put a clear overflow can on it and just keep an eye on it. If its just a fluke thing I am not going to worry too much about it. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

transplant87
November 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
some times when we have the temp change fast like it did the fulid tends to expand and spit out the vent. mine does it from time to time but never have a prob with it.

scout man
November 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
cool, sounds like a good explanation to me, so I will go with it. I dont need any more problems, especially tranny problems.

Roostercruiser
November 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
sounds like a scout:rolleyes:

scoutfam
November 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
sounds like a scout:rolleyes:

they always need to mark a new spot.... kind of like a bear does....

Roostercruiser
November 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
finally got a new avatar. looks good

scout man
November 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
yea, i was lazy...