PDA

View Full Version : Easy stock run

Kepi
October 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
:help:

Hi everyone!
I have been a member here for a few months and have been scanning the runs that are being planned but haven't gone because most of them seem more advanced than I am ready for. I would like to plan a stock run on an easy but not boring trail and one that is close, in the next couple weeks before the snow gets too deep. Since this is my first time trying to plan anything like this I would welcome some suggestions on trails and how to do this thing. :)

Thanks!
Deb

Andrew
October 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I recommend Pole Hill or Lefthand Canyon. Lefthand is near Boulder and it should not have all that much snow. It says it's a 4/5 trail but it really is not that hard. The harder stuff can be skipped, or you can try some to learn. I did it in my Xterra when it was completely stock.

If I can go, I would be happy to help you learn. Can't do Halloween weekend and this weekend I have plans so would have to be in November.

Funrover
October 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I would say China Wall, just stay on FS212. Many of the stock friendly trails i know of have already started to get snowed on pretty good. Talk to Steph (Pathrat) about that trail and see what she thinks. I would feel comfortable taking the wifes Disco on it

Andrew
October 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
China Wall is fun but it is quite a drive to get there. I guess worse for me being up north.

Kepi
October 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I have heard of lefthand canyon... that sounds promising. I could try and plan it for the first or second weekend in November. What kind of tools (i.e shovels, water, etc) are standard for off roading?

Ace
October 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Check out www.traildamage.com

To add to above, for easier trails check out:

Bunce School Road
Johnny Park
Switzerland trail (VERY easy but nice drive)

Pole hill is nice and it's going to be shut down soon for winter, same with Johnny Park... They can be combined for a longer run.

WINKY
October 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
i think a yankee hill run is sounding good again..... :)

Kepi
October 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
i think a yankee hill run is sounding good again..... :)
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=48

I read up on both of them and yankee hill sounds like a good stock run trail and thats a really scenic area =) Thanks Winky! Will you be able to go either the 1st or 2nd weekend in November?

I have to ask... how does the short bus do on the trails? hehe

Mporter
October 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I might be able to go, depending on the date and what's going on then.

WINKY
October 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
i can do the 7th or 8th of november and there hasnt been anywhere yet that has given me problems :)

BlackRubi
October 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
The 7th or 8th works for me, too. Not sure if Ashley has to work or anything, but I'm not.

Andrew
October 22nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I just did Yankee. It's super super easy. Other than the rock quarry.

Medic-5150
October 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=48

I read up on both of them and yankee hill sounds like a good stock run trail and thats a really scenic area =) Thanks Winky! Will you be able to go either the 1st or 2nd weekend in November?

Most people probably won't be able to go the first weekend, as the MSV/Coney Flats trip is that weekend. If I have enough money, I could go the 8th, I have work and a seminar to go to on the 7th though.

transplant87
October 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
hey im in if im not out of town on work:erm:

1freaky1
October 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Deb you can also do Saxon, Waldorf which is not to far from Yankee hill but there might be snow on Waldorf. Saxon would give you good experience as far as heights and a ledge or two.

KnuckleHead
October 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I might be in on this one myself.... I really wont know until there is a def date and when it gets closer to that time...

WINKY
October 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
kepi let me know what date you want to set, i will help you out with posting this on the calendar and such. its fairly simple to do :) first though you set a date that you want to do this on. All who can go will, those that cant dont sweat it, cant accomodate everyone :)

RockyMtnHigh
October 23rd, 2009, 02:01 AM

The shortbus isn't really his rig, more of an indication of his personality! :lol:

When you're out there with him, if he starts licking the windows, just ignore it, once the butterflies go away he will be normal again. :lol:

WINKY
October 23rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
dont get me near any pools either..... mudpuddles included.

Brody
October 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
The shortbus isn't really his rig, more of an indication of his personality! :lol:

When you're out there with him, if he starts licking the windows, just ignore it, once the butterflies go away he will be normal again. :lol:

And for god's sake, don't let him anywhere near your tires ! He is the only person here that we have to carry a rolled up newspaper and a pooper scooper for...a really sad state of affairs...

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

I have heard of lefthand canyon... that sounds promising. I could try and plan it for the first or second weekend in November. What kind of tools (i.e shovels, water, etc) are standard for off roading?

No one seems to have answered this question. Here are a couple of links :

What do you carry in your rig:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2320&highlight=carry+rig

Recovery gear, information, instruction links:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6915

To be brief:
A set of sockets that work on your rig: metric or SAE
A set of combo wrenches (box end on one end, open on the other)
A pair of channel locks, vice grips, pliers-something along those lines
Regular and Phillips head screwdrivers

Shovel, water, extra clothing, emergency stove, emergency blanket, water proof matches, cheapo WalMart sleeping bag or bag liner...basically enough stuff so that if you have to spend the night outside, you may be uncomfortable, but in no danger...

Watch the snow conditions/reports for Yankee Hill area..or any other area for that matter. Snow can turn an easy trail into something even the most set up rigs can't do...and you are planning into the 2nd week of November where anything can be happening up high..And I would really give some serious thought about trying the Saxon Mountain trail, either direction, in mid November....You want to do a 'Stockers' style run with a reasonable chance of success no matter what the weather is doing, I wouldn't be planning a wheeling trip up in the high country, but would be thinking more of something along the lines of ChinaWall down in the Tarryall area...not getting up into ski country....

BTW, here is a quote from a 10/10/2009 Colo4x4 report of Lefthand Canyon, another trail known for being icy and snowy early in the year:

Today me and some of my friends ran about half of lefthand canyon. It was really slippery, and since there are several slanty spots along the trail, we decided to call it a day and head back because we didn't feel like sliding off the trail and into the valley below. But the catch was that there weren't any real good turnaround spots, so we had to do about a 1/2 mile of the trail in reverse before we could find a spot large enough to turn around in.

As far as Yankee Hill, a couple of years ago some of us decided to do a mid/late November/December run of Yankee Hill. We spent 6 hours just getting to the trail intersection where Yankee Hill actually started. I am locked front and rear and got buried to my frame rails in more than one point. We basically had to winch and tow through 3' drifts or more, many 20-30' long. We were expecting stuff like this, so it wasn't a real big deal and was still fun, but expecting to do an easy stocker run in mid November on Yankee Hill is really being optimistic...

Here is a post from Colo4x4 of a Chinns Lake run on the 15th which is in the same area.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=157200

Here is a picture of that run. Keep in mind that I had 37" tires and a 6" lift, plus I was locked up both front and rear. It took about 2 hours to bust through this particular drift.

WINKY
October 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
you are correct pete, i am not domesticated nor house trained....LMAO

RockyMtnHigh
October 23rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

SubaCool
October 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'd probably be in for something easy-ish the second weekend in November too. I was just talking with Lisa yesterday that we should do Pole Hill again, with some members. Pierson Park is on our list to finish too, plus there are some other fun ones in that area. Bunce School, Johnny Park (could combine with Pierson). All those are easy with fun spots...

How's everybody on mid weeks though? Maybe next week?

Andrew
October 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Mid weeks = I am at work

Kepi
October 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Let's do this on November 8th. And if it's to icy, owell! at least we went! Winky, thanks for your help with this :D

Funrover
October 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I can talk the misses into it. We babysit the 7th (as of right now) so chances are slim

BlackRubi
October 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
The 8th sounds good to me. I'm off that day. What trail is it going to be?

Kepi
October 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
The 8th sounds good to me. I'm off that day. What trail is it going to be?

Yankee Hill

Andrew
October 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hmm...well the 8th would work but I just did Yankee on Saturday and not really anxious to go back so soon.

Although you can stop at the Ameristar after for $20 all you can eat crab legs.

Also they had some equipment up there leveling out some of the roads. There was a section that you could really flex out good on and they covered that all in dirt. The quarry is still there for playing in but an open rig won't make it up that obstacle (at least not with a wheelbase similar to Xterra or 4Runner). There is a big rock to pose on in the clearing, and a few rocks along the way, but not much.

Chris
October 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Yankee Hill

Post it up on the calendar ;)

transplant87
October 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
im down. and if some1 want to ride with i got seats open

Medic-5150
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I may go, depends on how finances are looking....

Pathrat
October 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hey, I have been off the board for a few days and it sounds like you got some good advice and suggestions. Next time you are working with me, let's go out to my truck and I can show you most of the basics I travel with. A few things I take on the trail but are not in the FJC daily are a portable air compressor/tire inflator, my Hi-lift jack, some extra recovery gear, large knife, rope and extra truck fluids.
Brody gave you an abundance of great info.
I will post up my yes/no as we get closer to your run date.

Brody
October 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
If we get a big snowstorm this coming week as currently predicted, I'm guessing Yankee Hill isn't going to be an easy stocker run :lol:

X2...Yankee Hill with 6-8" of snow and drifts will be an epic snow run no matter what you are driving. You will be lucky to get to the trailhead without getting stuck. That's all I am going to say except have fun!

Kepi
October 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Alrighty then! Contingent on the amount of snow we get (for me anyways) I am going to post this run on the calendar for November 8th! Hope to meet some of you then :D

Chris
October 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Sounds like fun but I'll be sitting on the beach in Hawaii. :cool:

Kepi
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Sounds like fun but I'll be sitting on the beach in Hawaii. :cool:

Very nice! Maybe next time.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Depending on my work schedule and if I can convince my dad.....I'd really love to get out and hit a trail.

Brody
October 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Depending on my work schedule and if I can convince my dad.....I'd really love to get out and hit a trail.

Bring your dad....

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Bring your dad....

That's what I mean, convince him to come along.

He probably will be in, I just realize that the 8th is a sunday....which is one of my days off. :thunb:

I'll be talking with him later today!

1freaky1
October 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Well today's forecast update on this new storm moving is calling for 18-24"s of snow in the mountains so have fun everyone and be safe. Hoping they are wrong on the total amounts for here in town cause it means I might get stuck at work for a couple days.

Brody
October 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM
People that are interested in going on this run need to RSVP, please.

Also Kepi-it might be a good idea to provide a back up trail or two in case there really is too much snow to do the Yankee Hill run. I did that for the November 1st snow run simply because the FS can close that trail at their whim and not necessarily update their website in time for us to know until we actually get there. You are faced with slightly different circumstances-the trail probably won't be closed, but too much snow will make it impassable for anything except really set up rigs.

Chris
October 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Bring you dad along Matt!

Air Randy
October 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Kepi, you can tentatively count me in for this one. Unless you decide to drive in circles in the WalMart parking lot I have a feeling whatever trail you choose will be challenging due to the snow totals. Of course, we could have a big melt off by then and have tons of mud to play in :clap:

Pete - Are you going on this? We may need all of the help we can get for getting ourselves unstuck :)

Brody
October 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Pete - Are you going on this? We may need all of the help we can get for getting ourselves unstuck :)

I wish! No, I am only going to have gas dollars enough to do one more run before we go on vacation and even then it is going to be tight. The one run I am going to be able to do is the November 1st trail run.

If I manage to pick up some more work before then, things may change, but I have been averaging less than $200 a week for way too long to have extra $$ for too much fun stuff.

BlackRubi
October 27th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be going. The wife and daughter will probably come along, too. I tried to RSVP, but evidently clicking "I'll be there" is not a valid response. :)

Pathrat
October 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Can anyone throw out some suggestions about alternate trails that may be less treacherous as far as snow? Besides China Wall? You all know how much I love snow wheeling :rolleyes: so I don't have much winter experience. What about down by Sedalia? I saw talk on Funrover's thread on this area and is there a good alternate down there?
Kepi, I don't want to change your run or anything, but would like to get the input on the more experienced members of where less difficulty in snow might be found. :)

Chris
October 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Bringing to the top as a reminder to update your RSVP's :thunb:

Andrew
October 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yankee is probably not going to be an easy stock run after this snow.

Chris
October 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Though it may all melt by then. ;)

Andrew
October 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Could, never know.

WINKY
October 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
being this is a sunday i cant make it but you all call me if ya have problems though i can assist with unstucking peeps. (if i go on the run id have to take that night off of work and i dont have any more vacation days)

Medic-5150
October 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I may go on this, I'll RSVP at a later time. If i do go, I've got a winch to get some people out if we get stuck.

4Runninfun
October 30th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I may go on this, I'll RSVP at a later time. If i do go, I've got a winch to get some people out WHENwe get stuck.

Fixed it for you. :D

Medic-5150
October 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Fixed it for you. :D

hahaha yea, with 40+ inches I will not be going. If some serious melting occurs over the next week or so then possibly. It's supposed to be pretty nice til then :)

transplant87
October 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I may go on this, I'll RSVP at a later time. If i do go, I've got a winch to get some people out if we get stuck.
cause u said that u might need to get pulled out:D

Medic-5150
October 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
cause u said that u might need to get pulled out:D

oooo he's not yelling. Yea, I'd probably need some assistance. I've never really driven in the snow, just moved here back in June. It's a big reason why I'm riding on the Snow Run, hopefully I'll learn something useful.

transplant87
October 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
if i had the cash to go u could ride with me but i just dont have the funds

Medic-5150
October 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm riding on the snow run this sunday. Should be a great learning experience. There'll be a ton of snow. Thanks for the offer

Mporter
October 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Well looks like I'm out....dads gonna be in Europe at the time :mad:

Chris
October 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
How about Mom then?

Mporter
October 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
How about Mom then?

Heh.....oh.....uh, she isn't the wheelin' type.

I don't think i'd convince her to come even if I told her there was a quilting shop on the other end. :D

Chris
October 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
:lol: When I was in HS mine helped me drop a new motor in my car.

Brody
October 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Well looks like I'm out....dads gonna be in Europe at the time :mad:

Hook a ride with someone if you don't have to work, Sounds like there are going to be quite a few empty seats.

ShutUpHippie
October 31st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Heh.....oh.....uh, she isn't the wheelin' type.

I don't think i'd convince her to come even if I told her there was a quilting shop on the other end. :D
:lol:

Chris
October 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Here's a link to this Planned Run: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7235

Post up if you'll be there!

KnuckleHead
October 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM
As much as I would love to be there for this one I am going to have to pass.... I have to work the night before and the night of... plus with getting ready to make this trip in Dec to New Orleans I need to save the money for that...

white collar redneck dad
October 31st, 2009, 10:12 PM
The town of Pine (near Rollinsville) received 45 inches of snow in this last snow!! Yankee Hill --- near Central City is very close to Pine -- you may want to wait on Yankee for a stock run!! Just my :2c: