PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Trail-FJ40 Virgin Run

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
It's on the calendar.

Here are the details. I can try to make minor changes to accommodate everyone, but this'll get us started.

Meet at B&H Mountain Market in Nederland at 9:30 a.m. From there, it's only a few minutes to the trailhead at the south end. Welles says it takes a couple hours to get to Caribou Road. Just before that are a couple of spurs and a nice place to have lunch (or :wrench: whatever has broken on the 40).

Then it's a few minutes to Caribou Road. We can decide then whether to do the north end of the trail, which is shorter and takes about an hour, unless everyone gets stuck in the mud and we have a winchfest. Add a half-hour for that. Or we could turn around and do the south half going downhill. Or we could head up 72 and check out MSV, part of it or all of it, for a pre-snow run run. Lots of options after we do the south end of Caribou. :thunb:

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
It is B & F Superfoods at
60 Lake View Dr
Nederland, CO 80466

I have to get my daughter settled at choir rehearsal first, so I am a big 'we'll see'.

cfr
October 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Here's the traildamage page for the south half that starts in Eldora,

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=102

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Here's the traildamage page for the south half that starts in Eldora,

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=102

Thanks, Charles. I've been to that page, but I'd forgotten traildamage splits it up and call it two different names. Welles combines them and calls the whole thing Caribou.

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Now I am all confused. Wonder if I have only run half of it the two times I have been. :confused: I will pull out the topo map tomorrow and do some comparing.

Do you have the Wells book for Northern Colorado? That's a helpful reference.

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Do you have the Wells book for Northern Colorado? That's a helpful reference.

Got 'em. I continued this on the other thread in trail planning so I didn't take up space on this thread.

sunk
October 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I would like to try and make it for this run...It will depend on putting the truck back together and looking for a co driver, for my entertainment.

Andrew
October 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I just did these both not long ago, so I'm probably out.

There isn't really anything too hard on the Eldorado Mountain half. The Caribou Creek half has a big muddy spot, but an easy way around. I went through the hardest muddy part with ease....I mean when I got through I looked down and noticed I was still in 2nd gear. But with the recent weather it could be worse now. Other than the mud pit, the rest of that trail is super easy and we flew through that half in like 20 minutes.

sunk
October 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Im in, just dont have any passengers

RicardoJM
October 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Air Randy and I are in. My first wheeling trip in the Blue Mule:D.

BlackRubi
October 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Stupid work. I really want to go. Especially seeing all of the interest in it and the chance to meet more of the group.

Air Randy
October 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Air Randy and I are in. My first wheeling trip in the Blue Mule:D.

You have to sign a waiver and it is optional whether you bring a helmet or not ;)

RicardoJM
October 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
You have to sign a waiver and it is optional whether you bring a helmet or not ;)
I'll have pen in hand - :2thumbs: - just don't charge me extra for the loop-d-loops:lol:

RockyMtnHigh
October 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Well???? How did it go?

Brody
October 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Well???? How did it go?

Pretty fun and I was sorry you couldn't go.

The tight lift on Rob's 40 brought other minor problems to the front of the list-namely the steering. Too rusted yet to tighten up, but we are working on that. We are also going to replace the tie rod and drag link ends, but need the new tie rod and drag links. That stuff is so rusted that it just looks like it is going to break with any force applied to it!

Nice to see stuff actually flex on Robs rig, too. The spring/hanger connection was so rusted that we couldn't even get it to move around with a BFH after cutting the springs off!