PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural FJ40 run Saturday

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I should get the FJ40 back from Pete and Sean on Wednesday or Thursday and it needs to get out on a trail. This could be the first time it's really been wheeled in 27 years.

I don't want to get too far from home, seeing as how it'll be a complete WAG on how it'll do off-road, and I want to stay on something moderate with no major obstacles.

I'm thinking Caribou Trail, Pole Hill or Johnny Park Road (start at the Highway 34 side, do half the trail, then turn around and do that half again. The second half is fairly tame.)

Anyone up for a moderate run Saturday? Any preferences on trails? I've done all three, but only the southern half of Caribou. I think Chris needs to get out and I'm trying to talk Pete into going so he can see his and Sean's handiwork in action. All are welcome, of course, and you might just get some wrenching practice in. One never knows on a virgin run. :thunb:

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Crap! I can't do Saturday until after 0930. Kid 2 has a choir thing and I have to drive. Depending on your trail maybe I could catch up.

Chris
October 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Whatever you're comfortable with Rob, I don't really care. I have family coming in again so need to get out this weekend.

Pathrat said you can be her grammar nazi

Please explain this to me...

seeing as how it's be a complete

:eek:

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Pathrat said you can be her grammar nazi

Please explain this to me...

:eek:

No way. I'd have to dust off the metaphorical jack boots. And I try not to correct the grammar of friends. Mostly. I do yell at TV news readers, though, usually in tandem with my wife, who truly is the grammar queen.

And, hey, it's been a long day and I'm tired. Typos happen, even to us professionals.

And I don't make grammatical errors. I merely mistype occasionally. (I have a reputation to maintain, you know.)

On the run, I'm leaning toward Caribou. It'd probably be a bit shorter drive for Denver area folks and it's bisected by Caribou Road into Nederland. So anyone who needs to bail early doesn't have to do the entire trail. Pole Hill might be a little muddy, though you can shorten the route and stay away from the worst wet parts. I really like the northern half of JP Road, which is why I suggested running the northern half up and back to 34.

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I really like Caribou.

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I really like Caribou.

If we do Caribou and start from the north, you could join us where the trail hits Caribou Road. I think the southern half is more fun anyway.

WINKY
October 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
have fun, im finishing my bumper saturday

Ace
October 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Another vote for Caribou, but don't really care. I was kinda thinking about running Caribou this weekend anyway.

Plus, it would be good to meet another Longmont 4x4'r. Might be snow? :)

Mporter
October 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I wish I could but i work from 9-5:30 on Saturday :mad:

RicardoJM
October 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
The run sounds interesting but I need to spend the time putting the transmission back in the Bronco - of course I need my son's help and he does have to work on Saturday - so what would the meet location, start time, run time and bail out points details be?

Brody
October 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM
And I try not to correct the grammar of friends. Mostly.

And I don't make grammatical errors. I merely mistype occasionally. (I have a reputation to maintain, you know.)

Waht rea yuo takling abuot wiht grematticall errs? Ineevr evn mistip stuuf...

A lot of it comes from people who text message a lot. If they do this, it bleeds off into their regular writing and looks really bad. I hate text messaging for a number of reasons, and this happens to be one of them. With a BA in English, it makes me grind my teeth when I don't see any punctuation, capital letters, misspellings, but I try to refrain from comments, too. After all, I can still read and understand what people are trying to say, which is the main thing.

scout man
October 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
i may be interested. Have another old rig to run along with yours. Could be a good trip to take my girlfriend out on, as she isnt a huge fan of the wheeling thing, mostly because of the off camber stuff and ledges. Trying to find a good run to ease her into things. Good scenery is a huge plus too.

Haku
October 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'll come along too I think. Nothing better to do really, and I'll keep my run of getting out every weekend for the last couple months going too:thunb:. Tools will be brought, just in case we need to fix something.

JH

Air Randy
October 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Were probably up for this too. Like Ricardo said, whats the meet up location and time? Since I'm so far South I'll probably trailer upas close as possible to where we'll start out.

Chris
October 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Looks like it's a go Rob, post it up! ;)

Brody
October 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am in with or with LaDawn.

Here is a link to the tarildamage.com report on a Nov 2 run. I would expect us to find snow, but how much is anybody's guess...

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/report.php?id=7

Air Randy
October 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Pete, where is a good meeting place where we can also unload and leave the trailer? Some place where we will be passing by on the way back out. And what time are we going to meet up?

Haku
October 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Are we making this an official run? Maybe put it on the Calendar? Just a thought.

JH

Roo
October 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Are we making this an official run? Maybe put it on the Calendar? Just a thought.

JH

That's a great idea! Josh:D I might be up for this run too when I find out how to get there.

Chris
October 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Rob will be posting the details very soon!

nudge, nudge

cfr
October 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'd like to suggest that the plan include an "alternate" trail in case something unexpected arises.

E.g., If you plan to run Caribou I'm guessing that the North end (Rainbow Lakes?) is going to be muddy. I did this run about a month ago and noted that I would NOT like to be on that trail in the mud.

I'd be pretty interested in starting on the Eldora side. Should do it in the morning as uphill has right of way and there's few places to turn around. I had to admit defeat on this in August,

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53852&postcount=16

Other trails nearby for "alternates" are,

- Bunce/Ironclads/Plane Crash
- Miller Rock
- Johnny Park (I like the first spur... 218A or Button Rock Rd)
- Pole Hill Road (may be a mud slide on the steep downhill)

Has anyone been in the Nederland area this week that can comment on the expected amount of water/snow?

-Charles

cfr
October 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
E.g., If you plan to run Caribou I'm guessing that the North end (Rainbow Lakes?) is going to be muddy. I did this run about a month ago and noted that I would NOT like to be on that trail in the mud.

This area would be a mess in the mud (this is "rth" on this forum),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLI8T3xw4x0

Guess that's what winches and recovery straps are for. :)

Lots of other vids of our Caribou run on Carl's channel,

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1B4ADDFB68BA1744

-Charles

Brody
October 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
This area would be a mess in the mud (this is "rth" on this forum),

Mud by any other name is still mud. Ditto with snow. If I couldn't deal with either one, I wouldn't wheel except in maybe July or August.

All of the trail suggestions are good and I always like to have a backup trail just in case...Thanks

Rob-you ever get around to posting this as an actual run (like maybe before Saturday...hint, hint), you might want to pick and chose an alternate trail for plan "B"..

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry. Long day at work.

Looks like Caribou has some votes. We'll start at the Eldora (south) end. Seems like it's mostly uphill from there and you get past the really narrow section fairly soon. We can jump off at Caribou Road or continue on with the rest of the trail, which apparently is where the mud is. I'm fine doing either.

Alternate plan? Head up 72 to Camp Dick and do T-33A. Can't go wrong with that trail.

I'll get it on the calendar with details momentarily. Got to figure out a meeting spot.

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry. Long day at work.

Looks like Caribou has some votes. We'll start at the Eldora (south) end. Seems like it's mostly uphill from there and you get past the really narrow section fairly soon. We can jump off at Caribou Road or continue on with the rest of the trail, which apparently is where the mud is. I'm fine doing either.

Alternate plan? Head up 72 to Camp Dick and do T-33A. Can't go wrong with that trail.

I'll get it on the calendar with details momentarily. Got to figure out a meeting spot.

As I mentioned before, I don't know exactly when I can get up there. I could suggest the grocery store parking lot in Nederland as the meet spot. It is called B & F and it is on right side coming into town, when coming up from HWY 72. It is the only shopping center in town and it is kind of a cluster with all the pedestrian crossings.

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
As I mentioned before, I don't know exactly when I can get up there. I could suggest the grocery store parking lot in Nederland as the meet spot. It is called B & F and it is on right side coming into town, when coming up from HWY 72. It is the only shopping center in town and it is kind of a cluster with all the pedestrian crossings.

Thanks, Path. I couldn't remember the name of that place. And Ned is sooo big. B&F it is then.

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Path. I couldn't remember the name of that place. And Ned is sooo big. B&F it is then.

LOL, it is a thriving community for when Boulder isn't liberal enough. :D

Gatemonkey lived not too far from the Ned when he first moved here and we have gone through plenty of times. It is our 'close trail' destination. Also, the Nepalese restaurant across and slightly north of the store is GREAT.

Haku
October 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
If we are meeting in Ned, then I'll probably go up Coal Creek Canyon if anyone wants to join me. After living in Boulder for 5 years, I try to avoid it as much as possible these days. Coal Creek is an easier and nice road to drive on then Boulder Canyon too. Anyone want to Caravan up with me? I'd say anyone from Lakewood, Arvada, Golden, etc would find this a great way to go.

JH

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Crap! I can't do Saturday until after 0930. Kid 2 has a choir thing and I have to drive. Depending on your trail maybe I could catch up.

I'm thinking you could head to Ned when you get done with Kid 2 (does Kid 2 have a name, or are you a Dr. Seuss fan?), go straight up Caribou Road and meet up with us where the trail splits or at the lunch spot toward the end of the south side of the trail. That should put you within CB range. If all goes smoothly, we should be at the lunch spot by noon or 12:30. There should be plenty of wheelin' after that ... wherever it is.

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm thinking you could head to Ned when you get done with Kid 2 (does Kid 2 have a name, or are you a Dr. Seuss fan?), go straight up Caribou Road and meet up with us where the trail splits or at the lunch spot toward the end of the south side of the trail. That should put you within CB range. If all goes smoothly, we should be at the lunch spot by noon or 12:30. There should be plenty of wheelin' after that ... wherever it is.

Let me go find a map.

Pathrat
October 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM

On your official thread, I saw the additional traildamage link and I am a bit confused. I wonder if I have only run half of Caribou the last two times I have been up there. :confused: I will have to pull out the topo map tomorrow. No lunch spot is coming to mind and I will have to follow Caribou Road and find the intersection with Caribou trail.

Kid 2 is Scout :)

RockyMtnHigh
October 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Damn Rob, I wish I could make this just to see it, not looking real promising right now though. Have fun and take some pics!:thunb:

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Damn Rob, I wish I could make this just to see it, not looking real promising right now though. Have fun and take some pics!:thunb:

Wish you could make it. You could make a strong comeback by Saturday. You never know.

I'll probably end up taking a lot of pics of Pete fixing my rig. I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist with too much information. :lol:

Rob
October 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Kid 2 is Scout :)

I'm guessing you read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in junior high school. :thunb:

Chris
October 15th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Pathrat IS the reincarnation of Atticus Finch. ;)

Pathrat
October 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Pathrat IS the reincarnation of Atticus Finch. ;)

And I can shoot too. :)

That is quite a compliment, thank you, but I have to say that I am not as calm and level-headed as Atticus.

Pathrat
October 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing you read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in junior high school. :thunb:

Yep, and someone once told me that if I had another baby, I would have to name it 'Boo'.

Back on topic though: I got the map and the Wells book out and now I see where you are talking about meeting, thanks.

RockyMtnHigh
October 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Wish you could make it. You could make a strong comeback by Saturday. You never know.

I will be happy if by Sunday I can take the scooter out for a ride, it's "suppose" to be 75 degrees.

Pathrat
October 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM
, it's "suppose" to be 75 degrees.

I hope so! I have a bumper to paint and skids to sand.