PDA

View Full Version : tire question

scout man
October 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I am thining about some Irok 36x13.5 tires that are used. 2 are 1/3 tread and 2 are 2/3 tread. He is asking $350. I have very limited funds and need tires, so it seems somewhat intriguing, but they are bias ply tires. For those of you with experience with bias ply, is this worth the value? Will be used mostly for off roading as that is mostly what my scout gets used for these days, but will be driven to and from trails, and maybe as far as moab sometime. No bead locks... no lockers... anything else that might influence the decision?

Mporter
October 14th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Only concern I really would have is the amount of tread left since you are planning on driving as far as moab....but I don't run (nor plan on running) bias plys.

DKDunn04
October 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Driving to Moab on Bias ply tires on the highway is something I reserve for my worst enemies.

Warrlord
October 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I ran that exact tire for a number of years. Other than the typical bias tire quirks, I loved 'em. They were great for winter driving. When aired down to 15 psi or less, they grabbed great.

Mine is a daily driver so I was buying tires once a year.............they wear down fast with street driving. One trip to & from Moab will put a good amount of wear on them & if 2 are already at 1/3 tread left, you may or may not be happy with the amount of life left in them.

On the trails, I doubt you'll be disappointed in them. On the street, they might shake the poopy out of you :D

Brody
October 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Bias ply tires are trail tires. You'll hate them for the street and be lucky to live through your first icy/snowy road experience with them. If you don't mind changing lanes without your turning the wheel, the inability to either stop or turn on snow and icy roads, the flat spots that knock your fillings out before the tires get warmed up and the tread wearing off very fast on on highway driving, then these are for you. You will probably never damage them on the trail, though.

Bottom line: do not buy any kind of bias play tires for the street. That is one of the main reasons you see so many bias ply Swampers or GroundHawgs for sale cheap. People buy them because the look cool and are cheaper than radials and run them on their DD. When they get the big surprises that bias ply tires offer, they freak, sell them for what they can get and buy the same tire in a radial.

I was just on craigslist and saw 33s and 35s for $300-500 which is about what you can expect to pay for a decent set of tires. Anything less and you are truly getting what you pay for: problems

scout man
October 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
thanks for all the feedback, I will pass on these. Thats what I expcted to hear anyways. i really need to find some 35s though before long and I dont have much budget. Yes, there are a lot of craigslist right now, but none for 15" wheels. I will just have to keep being patient.