PDA

View Full Version : Pathrat's Rear bumper build

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
So here is the pics of the build on Stephanie's rear bumper.
1st Pete had removed the plastic bumper and side panels before I got home with the materials to build the bumper.

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
2nd was the modification of the hitch which Pete tackled really well, while I was cutting and and reshaping the side bumper panels to fit in closer to the body.

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Pete also got the location for the exhaust cut out and I got the main bumper tube bent up. Pete also got the new tow hooks welded in.

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Next was a fun part of figuring out what we wanted to do with the inside uprights, designed to mimic the rounded door openings. Pete got the exhaust opening plated for reinforced strength.

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Next came bending the top tubes and locating where to mount the backup sensors.

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Finally finished with the bumper Pete got it all primered up. We finished it all up by with getting the exhaust all welded up.

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Good stuff guys!

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
This write up made it look easy :) Just weld that, bend that, route that.

My exhaust came out where Sean's head is but over to the side. The guys cut the exhaust tube and made me a new, straight one.

GREAT WORK!!!! LOVE IT

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Wish it was all that easy, I suppose in some ways it is once you have the basic understanding of bending and welding down, as well as how metal functions.

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Wish it was all that easy, I suppose in some ways it is once you have the basic understanding of bending and welding down, as well as how metal functions.

Bet you were a lot faster etc. than me.. LOL.. I'd still be working on it LOL

Dirt Claude
October 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Looks great guys..well done!

Hypoid
October 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Loks great guys..well done!
X2!!!! Mikey likey!

Mporter
October 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Well done guys.

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Looks great! Hey Path, what's with all that crap in the back? :lol:

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Looks great! Hey Path, what's with all that crap in the back? :lol:

:lol: That is to bail out the less-prepared.
I am hoping all that crap is stuff I will rarely need!

Pathrat
November 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I forgot to add pictures from after the paint job...flat black rubberized undercoating in a can. I couldn't stop with the rear and now it is on the useless plastic front bumper as well. Note, however, the small embellishments...

Funrover
November 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hello Kitty... LOL!!! And you just can't be left alone with a spray can. Sheesh.

RockyMtnHigh
November 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry, Stephanie, I felt the need to clarify things over there in the blue room. I didn't want them thinking we had a fruit cake wheeling such a cool rig here in Colorado with the Hello Kitty stickers. :lol:

Besides, the ladies who wheel get all kinds of attention over there! :thunb:

A-TRAC
November 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I felt the need to clarify things over there in the blue room.

:lol: I had to go look. Looks like the Blew hasn't changed much.

Pathrat - Where did you get the flat black rubberized undercoating? Do you know if it chips when hit or does it peel like Linex? I'm thinking of using that stuff on my rock-rails as long as it doesn't peel.

Funrover
November 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry, Stephanie, I felt the need to clarify things over there in the blue room. I didn't want them thinking we had a fruit cake wheeling such a cool rig here in Colorado with the Hello Kitty stickers. :lol:

Blue room?

Brody
November 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Blue room?

Chat forum thread on the FJ forum, kind of like our 'off topic' thread. I think they also have a 'Brown Room' for more esoteric 'chat'...Haven't been there, so I'll let the FJ folks clarify it...

RockyMtnHigh
November 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Blue room?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/ -- Blue

http://fjccentral.com/ -- Brown

I think they also have a 'Brown Room' for more esoteric 'chat'...

That's one way of looking at it! :lol:

Pathrat
November 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM

:lol: No problem and thanks! I kind of expect a large crowd like that to assume I am without an X chromosome.

The Hello Kitty thing came from a thread quite a while back, where I said I would paint my rig purple and yellow camo with hello kitty stickers.

Funrover
November 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM
:lol: No problem and thanks! I kind of expect a large crowd like that to assume I am without an X chromosome.

The Hello Kitty thing came from a thread quite a while back, where I said I would paint my rig purple and yellow camo with hello kitty stickers.

Still waiting on the new paint job. Seems like you have a warm reception of the bumper over there! :thunb:

Pathrat
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
:lol: I had to go look. Looks like the Blew hasn't changed much.

Pathrat - Where did you get the flat black rubberized undercoating? Do you know if it chips when hit or does it peel like Linex? I'm thinking of using that stuff on my rock-rails as long as it doesn't peel.

Advance Auto Parts. My brother was nice enough to send me a gift card for my birthday so as Funrover noted, I went wild with various rattle cans. I have no idea if it chips, have not been in a situation to find out yet. I do know that the first spray should go on a newspaper, and not on the truck. :o

Pathrat
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Still waiting on the new paint job. Seems like you have a warm reception of the bumper over there! :thunb:

Who's paint job? Yours? Was I supposed to do that? :D

Yes, it is going over well.

Pathrat
November 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/ -- Blue

http://fjccentral.com/ -- Brown

that's pretty funny!

Roostercruiser
November 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
nice job. hey path you still gonna write down where each small dent came from.

JeffX
November 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Looks good. I need one like that for my Xterra.

Brody
November 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Looks good. I need one like that for my Xterra.

Let me or Sean know whenever you want to do something and we can work something out.

Your Xterra is sweet, BTW..

Pathrat
November 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
nice job. hey path you still gonna write down where each small dent came from.

I think if I dent that bumper, it would be noteworthy! :)

scout man
November 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think you should take the idea farther, and everytime you do any body damage at all, label the trail and the date with a sharpie, then when you cant tell its blue anymore there will be no way anyone can accuse you of being a mall crawler! :thunb:

Pathrat
November 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I think you should take the idea farther, and everytime you do any body damage at all, label the trail and the date with a sharpie, then when you cant tell its blue anymore there will be no way anyone can accuse you of being a mall crawler! :thunb:

It's silver sharpie, not black, and they are all over my skid plate! :D I have done a few body ones though...
I got the idea from a beat to hell crawler I saw in the Moab McDonalds parking lot.

Funrover
November 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It's silver sharpie, not black, and they are all over my skid plate! :D I have done a few body ones though...
I got the idea from a beat to hell crawler I saw in the Moab McDonalds parking lot.

Never know what will spark the next idea! :thunb:

Pathrat
November 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Never know what will spark the next idea! :thunb:

probably a can of rattle color :rolleyes:

scout man
November 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
And here I thought I had an original idea... :(

Rob
November 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM

You're emulating a beat-to-hell crawler? (Notice the hyphens in the compound adjective?) So are you saying this is what you're aspiring to for the FJC? :lol:

Pathrat
November 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
You're emulating a beat-to-hell crawler? (Notice the hyphens in the compound adjective?) So are you saying this is what you're aspiring to for the FJC? :lol:

Not till it's paid for

:lol::lol::lol:

Rob
November 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Not till it's paid for

I'm with you on that. Five more years for me. :(

Funrover
November 12th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Not till it's paid for

:lol::lol: I don't ever see you "Beating" it to hell....

Pathrat
November 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
:lol::lol: I don't ever see you "Beating" it to hell....

What, are you saying I'm not hard core???? :mad:

(:lol::lol::lol: You know you are right)

And DrUnit, just 2.5 more years!!!

Mporter
November 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Take yer new cars and wreck em.....ill keep my 62 for the rest of my life :smokin: