PDA

View Full Version : Project $500!

74fj40
October 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Well here I am after saying wasn't going to spend any money on my truck till next winter. But my test trail run at wheeler lake revealed some things I should have seen. Anyways here's the list of things im going to do this winter

1. New clutch slave and master. Mine leak and at times the pedal sinks to the floor
2. New fuel lines. Mine are all rubber and are starting to deteriorate.
3. Adjust and modify my carb. Was going to do fuel injection by too expensive for my budget. I want to extend my float bowl vents and lower the level of my floats. For any one who saw me trying to climb the obstacles at wheeler this weekend can tell you why I need to do this!
4. SM465 and a early 3 speed xfer. I want a lower crawl ratio as right now mine is 28:1 but I don't want to drop $1500 on an Orion. The SM465 with a 3spd case will give me a ratio or something like 62:1 with isn't amazing but it is significantly better and will do.
5. Build a spare tire carrier because my spare flops around on the back and could be dangerous.
6. And I need a skid plate.

I'm at work rightnow so I can't really post up any pictures and I have class tonight so I probably won't get any work done till later in the week.

Funrover
October 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
HAHAHA Yep, gotta love those project. they seem to catch up with you in a hurry

FJBRADY
October 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I have a SM420 with a 3speed tcase and a rock box splitter. I would encourage a SM 420 or 465 which are very close 7:1, 6:1. The splitter doubles the ratio so I have a crazy low 132 to 1 ratio.

You probably saw Air Randy showing off his Orion on Wheeler last week....if you go with the 465 and a splitter you will be just as low or lower!

Good luck................

74fj40
October 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Brady a sm465 was in the plan. I chose it over a 420 because of synchros intofirst and the option of overdrivewould be nice. Do you have any pictures of you setup? What else can you tell me about it?

FJBRADY
October 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Brady a sm465 was in the plan. I chose it over a 420 because of synchros intofirst and the option of overdrivewould be nice. Do you have any pictures of you setup? What else can you tell me about it?

I agree on the 465...the 420 likes to wrestle me at times. What part of town do you live in? If you are on the south side you are welcome to swing by.....except the 40 is in the shop for round two of a transfer case leak fix. I expect to have it back by Friday.

Let me know,

Steve

RicardoJM
October 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Steve, Max - you guys are very close to each other - both in Highlands Ranch. Max, I have a raffle ticket for you and your dad. Max, do you currently have the 4 speed t-case?

FJBRADY
October 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Steve, Max - you guys are very close to each other - both in Highlands Ranch. Max, I have a raffle ticket for you and your dad. Max, do you currently have the 4 speed t-case?

Excellent....Max I think I was behind you/passed you Friday morning on Broadway.

74fj40
October 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I rember that fjc. You passed me on the left. Anyways let me know when you get it back. I'd definitely like to check it out.

Ricardo, yep, it's a split cas out of a fj60.

74fj40
October 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Well I have a small update, just found an 465 with 75k on it. Going to check it out this week after work some time. It's only $50 so I don't have much to lose. Anyways I might pull my carb tonight if I'm not going to go check out that tranny. So maybe some pictures to come :d

74fj40
October 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Which adapters should I use? Brian doesn't make his anymore. AA one is too expensive, has anyone delt with classic cruisers? Or know the price of theirs? Am I forgetting any options?

RicardoJM
October 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Mike D. put in a 465 and Orion. I understand you are mating up the 3 speed transfer case, but here is the link (http://www.root45.com/SM465Orion/) to his information. HTH.

74fj40
October 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ricardo. Mike used the adapter that woody used to make but unfortunately doesn't anymore :(

74fj40
October 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Little bit of an update, the SM465 got sold to someone quicker than me... Oh well. I think I might be on the hunt for one thats already mated to a 3 speed case. seems like a more efficient way to do it anyways.

Heres some new pictures, I for forgot to tell you a new wiring harness was in order for this winter... I felt somewhat spontanious when I woke up on saturday, so I took it into work and got started on it. Heres some pictures. :D

Its funny to see a 37 year old truck next a $100,000+ car :D

Also, check out the battery picture, for those who remember my starting problem from the wheeler lake run, It was because of bad connections to the starter. well, now I fixed it, everything you see going to the battery is all that will be going to it. Positive, Negative, and a fusible link.

All the wire connections are being made with solderless crimp connections, (not cheap butt connecters from radio shack) were talking BMW approved wire connectors. then a special shrinkwrap is used over the connecter, which when heated up the inside melts and surrounds every nook and cranny in the connector to prevent corrosion. I have a feeling this is going to last for a very very long time :D I checked with parts on the price of these shrink wrap peices, and they are a buck a piece...my price!!!

Pretty excited to do this, its such a good feeling to know that you are improving the performance/ability/ and overall rigidity of a truck.

Haku
October 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
If you want to replace that battery with something a bit more reliable, Dave's Offroad Performance is selling refurbished Optima Batteries for $85 each plus a bit of shipping. I have two yellow tops coming next week that should be a great addition.

Looks great dude. Wish I had that kind of space to work on my rig for sure. Oh well, someday maybe. I need to do some rewiring in my rig as well, but mostly for the accesories and peripheral stuff. Want to make a 12 volt circuit breaker unit for all the stuff like winches, CB's, stereo, etc. Looks good though, and I'm sure it will be great to have the piece of mind that everything will work when its supposed to. Get that carb going and some lower gears, and you are in business for a while.

JH

InsanityIsBorn
October 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Sweet! GL on the wiring, seems it will be fun! You just gonna leave her at Schomp while you rewire it? Or are you planning on finishing that all today?

74fj40
October 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately I can't really afford a new battery at the moment, and that autolite is still holding a charge. Maybe within the next year or so I'll pickup a winch and do a dual battery setup.

I cant tell you how lucky I am to be able to work on my truck at work. it makes some things so easy. Yesterday it was 19* outside and If I didnt have the shop to go to I would have been working on it on my back outside... well I probably wouldnt have any motivation to do it that way :D

Thanks man, going to pull the carb in a week or so and rebuild/adjust. Was going to do TBI but too expensive at the moment. A carb kit is only $20 heh

Sweet! GL on the wiring, seems it will be fun! You just gonna leave her at Schomp while you rewire it? Or are you planning on finishing that all today?

Were not allowed to do that anymore. haha, and hell no I cant finish that today! its too cold outside and the shop is closed!! I'll bring it in next weekend and maybe get the taillights wired up

InsanityIsBorn
October 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Were not allowed to do that anymore. haha, and hell no I cant finish that today! its too cold outside and the shop is closed!! I'll bring it in next weekend and maybe get the taillights wired up

I forgot it was Sunday, for some reason thought it was Saturday. So what exactly did you do then? Pull the wiring harness and hook up the necessary wires to get it drivable and drive home again??

74fj40
October 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Exactly pulled everything and hooked up the charging and starting systems and that's it

InsanityIsBorn
October 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Haha sounds about right for our family!! :D

FJBRADY
October 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Max,

I have the 40 back at the house...........let me know if you still want to drop by!

Steve 720 272-4909

74fj40
October 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Steve, I'll give you a call after work tomorrow? sometime around 5:30?

Thanks, Max

Air Randy
October 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Heres a few things to think about: If you go to a 3 spd T case you only go from a 1.9 reduction to 2.3. Not very much difference, especially when you consider how brittle the old style cases are. If you go this route and wheel it hard, better pick up a spare, they're cheap. For the little bit of gearing you're gaining you're probably better off staying with your split case which is much stronger.

The 420/465 is a great way to go low economically especially for wheeling. The only complaint I've heard is from people who still use their rigs for a daily driver. 1st is so low it's almost useless so you end up with essentially a 3 speed.

InsanityIsBorn
October 12th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Heres a few things to think about: If you go to a 3 spd T case you only go from a 1.9 reduction to 2.3. Not very much difference, especially when you consider how brittle the old style cases are. If you go this route and wheel it hard, better pick up a spare, they're cheap. For the little bit of gearing you're gaining you're probably better off staying with your split case which is much stronger.

The 420/465 is a great way to go low economically especially for wheeling. The only complaint I've heard is from people who still use their rigs for a daily driver. 1st is so low it's almost useless so you end up with essentially a 3 speed.

Its true, I had a SM420 (have still) in my old Chevy and I forgot I had a first gear I always just used 2nd 3rd and 4th.
But would it be possible to swap the gears from the 3sp xfer into the split case housing? If so that would be the best bet, no? Stonger case and lower gears. Just a curious question.

74fj40
October 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Yep, I've been keeping all this in mind. The problem with keeping the Split case is that the adapter for a split to sm465/420 is the adapter is $500 that is my budget for the entire project... I realize I will break that, but I don't want to double it.

I'm 19, only work 30 hours a week and going to school, so spending a BUNCH of money on a project is something I can't do.

also, Zach(Bustanutly) on IH8mud ran this setup for years with out too many problems, and he was on 40's...

I plan to use all the stiffening plates for the case to disapate as much stress as possible.

FJBRADY
October 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Randy has great points, but this is a budget build.

1st gear is a granny gear....it would be nice to have all the low gears in the t-case so a 4-speed would be more street friendly. If your plan is to build a budget rock crawler, there are some compromises, the SM tranny is the way to go. On the street I don't use first gear at all.....I get 11 to 12 miles to the gallon and maintain 65-70 mph. The 420/465 bolts straight to the 3 speed Toyota t-case and is a popular swap on the 40.

Air Randy
October 13th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I get 11 to 12 miles to the gallon and maintain 65-70 mph.

Right, and you also have a 350 TBI, not an anemic old F engine..........:rolleyes:

I know he can still drive it this way on the street, it just won't be as easy especially in stop & go traffic.

Yes, you can probably get by on the 3 speed case if you are careful and don't wheel it too hard. Just remember that you are putting in the 420/465 to make it more of a rock crawler. That tells me that you will most always take the hard line (like Wheeler Lake :thunb:). Plus the lower gears are torque multipliers so the strain actually increases.

It's definitely the most economical way to go.

FJBRADY
October 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Right, and you also have a 350 TBI, not an anemic old F engine..........:rolleyes:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the 350! :cool:

74fj40
October 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Its true, I had a SM420 (have still) in my old Chevy and I forgot I had a first gear I always just used 2nd 3rd and 4th.
But would it be possible to swap the gears from the 3sp xfer into the split case housing? If so that would be the best bet, no? Stonger case and lower gears. Just a curious question.

Unfortunately noyou can't do that, the split case is a completely different design from the 3spd

74fj40
October 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I know he can still drive it this way on the street, it just won't be as easy especially in stop & go traffic.

Yes, you can probably get by on the 3 speed case if you are careful and don't wheel it too hard. Just remember that you are putting in the 420/465 to make it more of a rock crawler. That tells me that you will most always take the hard line (like Wheeler Lake :thunb:). Plus the lower gears are torque multipliers so the strain actually increases.

It's definitely the most economical way to go.

Well I'd like to be driving my truck as soon as possible not just looking at it in the driveway. So economical way it is.

Air Randy
October 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
You probably saw Air Randy showing off his Orion on Wheeler last week....if you go with the 465 and a splitter you will be just as low or lower!

I don't believe I was "showing off" anything.

With my 4.88 gears, 4-1 TC and the H41 5:1 first gear, my final low-low is 98:1. I've found with this gearing even with the 39's I have to give it gas on the steepest down hill stretches at Moab, so I'm not sure if theres a lot of benefit in going lower. Nice thing about this setup is that in high range my TC is just like stock and the gears adjust for the 39's so the engine is in the proper power band (Very important with old F motors :lol:). The H41 is nice on the street because 1st is still useable, 2nd & 3rd are slightly lower than a stock 4 speed so you have better pulling power and 4th is just 1:1. Its also nice that it's all std Toyota stuff with no adaptors except for the TC housing which is cast iron instead of aluminum. Obviously the big downside is the cost.

If Max goes 3 speed TC and SM465, assuming his gears are stock 4.10's he'll have a low-low drive ratio of 56:1. Thats about double of what he has today stock, so a vast improvement. Remember though, if you want to shift out of 1st because it's too low/slow you are right back to the stock (except for the 1.9 to 2.3 TC improvement) low range gearing level. Probably still OK you just have less gear selection.

Keep in mind Steve that you have a Toybox splitter because your 350/420 drivetrain combo is short enough to accomodate that, and only after heavily modifying the rear cross member. Max will have to swap the F motor out for a 350 or lengthen his wheel base quite a bit to accomodate the Toybox and still have a useable pinion angle.

FJBRADY
October 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Max good meeting you yesterday. I was happy to let you drive my 40 and let you get a sense for what a low buck granny gear will do for your rig. Based on our conversation, it sounds like you have your build figured out.

I don't believe I was "showing off" anything.

Randy I was just kidding around....I think your rig is awesome and what impresses me the most is your ability to wheel it hard, roll it, break something and have it ready to go the next weekend to do it all over again :bow: You possess great :wrench:ing skills my friend :thunb:

Look forward to wheeling again soon!!!!!

74fj40
October 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Nice meeting you as well steve!! You have a great truck! Definitely somethig to be proud of!

74fj40
November 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Well looks like I'll be spending more than that anticipated... again :D

A few superficial updates, bought a tube bender, and bought a winch... :D

Its a belleview, and all the controls are cable actuated. I have always wanted one of these, and a friend (2badfjs) was selling his. and I just happened to have the money, so hopefully if I can I'll be picking it up next weekend, and I'll be getting back in the groove of working on it. havent been overly motivated or anything lately. in fact I havent done anything since my last up date... :( Had to work on my 4runner, and had to put a motor my dads bmw 2002tii. But I have a 4 day weekend coming up next weekend so I'm planning on using that to the fullest! and I'll have some real updates then!

For now, heres a picture of the winch on Jims truck :D

Mporter
November 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
and a friend (2badfjs)

For those who aren't 'Mud members...

That's Jim from SROR

:thunb:

Chris
November 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
We know Jim, he just never visits Front Range any more....

74fj40
November 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yep, kinda excited to get that winch from him, haven't seen him in forever, and wondering how he's been!

74fj40
January 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!

I have been pretty lazy lately. but I recently took a trip out to independence to ride in a friends buggy. Pretty awesome if you ask me. not only did I love it but it got me completely motivated!

SO while I've had this very lazyness I had time to think about my landcruiser. I've decided not to waste my time trying to do it as cheaply as possible, I want to do it right the first time and not have to mess with it anymore.

I've decided to buy Marlins 4.7:1 reduction box. It is quite pricey, but I think it will be worth every penny. to get this to work I'll need to extend my wheel base quite a bit. I scored some xj springs from my friend for free cause I helped him install his lift. these are the exact same width as my current springs and if I spring them over it will keep about the same lift right now, and it will extend my WB almost 10 inches over stock axle placment, which will be more than sufficient room to fit the toybox.

anyways I bought all new bushings for the springs and got those installed tonight. Yesterday night I finished wiring the engine compartment. So there is definitely some progress being made... FINALLY!!!

Heres some pics of the new bushings installed... nothing exciting. I like installing them I got to use a BFH, and for one of the bushings I got to play with fire and melt it out!!!! SWEEEETT... anyways, I hope to be back on the trails by early to late march.

MORE UPDATES TO COME!!!!!

74fj40
January 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Heres some pictures from independance. The guys I went with had some of the most amazing buggies I've ever seen... if only we all had 30K to drop into our rigs. There was one with a 4bt cummins in it, carbon fiber panelling, and 47's. this thing was huge. but crawled everything. It was pretty wet when we went out there so unfortunately only one guy made the exit.

Pretty cool though, it was my first time out to the independance trail system.

Haku
January 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I soooo want to go do that trail. Have some stuff to do to my rig first, namely a cage and stronger axles. Otherwise I think I'd do just fine in there. Hydro assist steering would be nice too. Did either of them have to winch out of the exit? Definitely neat rigs that I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to own.

JH

74fj40
January 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Thats not even half the trucks that were there either. everyone but one guy had to winch out. but his WB was something ridiculous like 120"

I think your mini would make it. one of the guys that I rode with used to have an xcab that was built just about the same as yours, and he was able to crawl out the exit with no winching.

I think I would be able to make it with a little carnage once I'm finishing with what I'm doing right now. But I know that I'm not enough of an experienced offroader to do so. Someday I'll make it out there though!

74fj40
January 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Got a bunch done today, and ran into a bunch of problems doing so! but nothing that was so much of a problem I couldnt go move on. I got the new XJ springs in and sprung! I had to reverse my shackle hangers to get this to work and thats about it. I just measured WB and I am just shy of 105" which is pretty decent to me. stock is about 90" so I am pleased with it, the Toy box will fit nicely in there. now I have to figure out how I'm going to afford it! anyways heres some pictures :fing:

Rob
January 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Looks good. You gonna trim the quarter panels?

74fj40
January 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Nah I'll like em. Just kiddin, I'm probably gonna comp cut, even though I hate how it looks, will be the best option.

Brody
January 31st, 2010, 07:06 AM
That looks good and you will love the extended wheelbase about 97% of the time..

You might try welding in some sheet metal in front of the rear wheels to avoid the 'comp cut ' look. You body is flat there, so aside from the PITA of thin metal welding, it shouldn't be too hard to do. This is coming from a guy that pretty much sucks at welding thin metal, too.

Altitude Steel usually has some in the scrap bin. Just tossing out some suggestions. It would look pretty trick..

Mporter
January 31st, 2010, 07:46 AM
I like it

Haku
January 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM
Very neat dude. I think you are really gonna like having that longer wheelbase, and it will help with driveshaft angles and stuff too. Some days I dig the comp cut look, and others I don't. I was reluctant to do it in my Samurai, but if I ever get another one I'll probably go that direction.

On another note, this week I'll be making a Harbor Freight air ram bracket for my bender. Its easy enough to get the materials for two of them if you want to make one for yours. $89 for the ram, plus 10 bucks in material, and a bit of labor, and you are ram powered. Let me know if you are interested. It'll look like this...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender026.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender025.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender028.jpg

It is made from 3" schedule 40 pipe, some 1/4" flat stock, and a couple of small spacer tubes.

JH

74fj40
January 31st, 2010, 04:13 PM
That looks good and you will love the extended wheelbase about 97% of the time..

You might try welding in some sheet metal in front of the rear wheels to avoid the 'comp cut ' look. You body is flat there, so aside from the PITA of thin metal welding, it shouldn't be too hard to do. This is coming from a guy that pretty much sucks at welding thin metal, too.

Altitude Steel usually has some in the scrap bin. Just tossing out some suggestions. It would look pretty trick..

I think so too. I'm going to wait to do so until I get my new tires so that way I dont have to cut it after I weld it in as I plan on going bigger. having a longer WB makes my 35's look teeny!

74fj40
January 31st, 2010, 04:16 PM
Very neat dude. I think you are really gonna like having that longer wheelbase, and it will help with driveshaft angles and stuff too. Some days I dig the comp cut look, and others I don't. I was reluctant to do it in my Samurai, but if I ever get another one I'll probably go that direction.

On another note, this week I'll be making a Harbor Freight air ram bracket for my bender. Its easy enough to get the materials for two of them if you want to make one for yours. $89 for the ram, plus 10 bucks in material, and a bit of labor, and you are ram powered. Let me know if you are interested. It'll look like this...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender026.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender025.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/sthsdr/Bender028.jpg

It is made from 3" schedule 40 pipe, some 1/4" flat stock, and a couple of small spacer tubes.

JH

Just started school right now so I am super strapped for cash, But I am interested in how you did that, I'm done with school in april so hopefully I'll have my bender setup by then and I can do this conversion.... Thanks for the idea Josh!

74fj40
January 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Well got some cutting, grinding, sanding, painting done today! The comp cut turned out okay, but it still looka like ass:lmao:

Rob
January 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
Not bad. Now you won't be bending the panels with those tires.

By the way, are those sliders bolted to just the body or to the frame?

Brody
January 31st, 2010, 06:44 PM
The comp cut doesn't look that bad at all. Look at is as more of a form follows function kind of thing and they look just fine..

One would hope that the sliders are mounted to more than just the body. That seems to more of a Jeep thing than any other make, for some reason, and it only partially works...as in 'better than none at all'...

74fj40
February 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The comp cut is somewhat growing on me. but until I tube up those cuts I dont think I will ever really like it that much.

Anyways, No those sliders are actually mounted to just the rockers with scab plates behind. Contrary to popular belief they are pretty tough, and can take a beating. infact I dont think my rocker panels have ever folded up. I have also used the as a jacking point with a hi-lift jack, and never had any problems. I'll include a picture of same sliders different truck same mounting style....

anyways, I have some updates... not much, I am almost done with the wiring. I am going to pick up some new front running lights as the old spaceship lights on there didnt work worth a ****. also decided to build a new rear bumper with shackle hangers built in, new rear tail lights, and some recovery points. hoping to do it for about $100. I think I can do it. will pick up some metal from c and m tomorrow and I'll keep you updated on that.

I brought the truck into school and ran a oscilliscope on it, which was pretty cool. never used one before. I guess bmws are too high tech for that. :D

also brought it into work on saturday and finished up almost all the wiring just need to do the dash and tie up some stuff here and there. but not too shabby if you asked me. I sure did milk the job but definitely didnt flat rate it! its going to last a life time hopefully!

also a picture of how it currently sits!

74fj40
February 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Here is what I want my bumperto look like. It is going to be built somewhat after the BTF axle relocation bumper for the yj's/fj's

Brody
February 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM
If I can make a small suggestion: Plate the top of the spring perches back up to the bumper. These are going to take a mess of abuse and that plate with add some cross shear strength to them. To add a little more bracing, extend the plating past the perches an inch or so to each side on the top of the perch. Only take another 1/2 hour or so and would be worth the extra time just for piece of mind. Be a real trail killer if one of these were to tear off...

Looks like you have a very good idea of what you are doing, so this may be redundant. Just my 2 cents and what I did on mine when they extended past the bumper (modification 2,034, plan G, revision 12:D)

Love the flex!

74fj40
February 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Peter.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your sayig about reinforcing the spring perch. Do you have a picture of it on you truck?

Also wish I could flex like that!!!

Haku
February 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I think he means to add some plate to the top of the spring hangers in your bumper concept picture. It will help with the side to side strength, as well as the vertical. The tube going through does provide a lot of strength, but adding some plate on top of that would make it even better. You could also get away with doing some gussets to each side too, as long as it doesn't effect shackle travel.

JH

Brody
February 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Sorta like this, though these protruded past the bumper and the bumper is in line with the frame. Same principle, though. May be more pictures on this thread. I haven't read it since I did the Chevy spring install.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?4407-63-Chevy-springs-on-Brody-s-heap&highlight=63%26quot%3B+Chevy+Springs%26quot%3B

74fj40
February 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I see, Yeah that sounds like a good idea. cheap insurance... :D

Will probably have no updates for a little bit now, I have to work saturday and going to vail on sunday. I am picking up some metal tomorrow from c and m for my bumper. but really wont have any time to work on it until monday night or later.

74fj40
February 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Well I got a day off today. don't really have any updates, I'm broke as **** and cant really afford to buy stuff for it right now. Although I am about to bite the bullet on some new rear shocks for it. But today I flexed it out and measured for shocks. also pretty pleased with the flex I have. 30" from the bottom of the tire with plenty to go!

Brody
February 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hey! Don't buy shocks until you get in touch with Scout Man (Steve). He has a bunch of shocks from that stuff he bought, all new, in the boxes, etc. He won't be back until Monday PM if you can wait. I do not know the brands or the sizes, only that he has quite a few , all new, of varying lengths.

Might save a few bucks...That is some nice flex action going on...

74fj40
March 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'll send him a PM right now! Thanks!

Got so decent work done on the bumper today. wish I could keep working on it but have a bunch of other thing I need to get done today. Anyways pictures are pretty self explanitory. I bought some shackle hangers, D-Ring mounts and Lights for it today too. I cant wait to have it finished It is going to be way beefier and way nicer looking than whats on there right now! :D This metal is ridiculously thick. Unfortunately its thicker than I wanted and it takes FOREVER to cut with a cut off wheel, but in the end it will be a much better/stronger product... :cool:

Mporter
March 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
is that 3/8? Why would you want to fortify a tank more?

74fj40
March 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Because the metal was pretty cheap from C and M Metals. Plus you can never have TOO much Protection. :D

Btw Matt, How is your bumper coming along?

Mporter
March 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Still in pieces :mad: But we're working on it today. Probably gonna get the holes marked for the brackets and possibly drilling em. I am hoping to have this done over spring break (yes that's a deadline).

But other than that, good.

scout man
March 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'll send him a PM right now! Thanks!

I dont think I ever got one from you, but my PM box filled up at one point. I am going to make myself go through and measure all the shocks I have monday... tuesday at the latest, and I will post up everything I have on my "tons of stuff" thread in the for sale section. It will definitely be cheaper to get them from me than at the store, and they are all brand new. I will let you know what I have.

74fj40
March 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds good man, I'll be in contact with you!

74fj40
March 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Well a small update. Nothing really. since wheeling season snuck up on me...(yet again) I have decided to wait to spend a bunch of money on a tcase doubler, expecially since the 4runner needs new tires, I have another engine that I need to build for another project, and I was hoping to buy a new mountain bike this season as well. SO I'm going to finish the wiring, build a front driveshaft, put some shocks in the rear, build a skid plate and time to have some fun again.

Wheeling season is NOW. See you all out there!

Brody
March 25th, 2010, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=74fj40;90966]Because the metal was pretty cheap from C and M Metals. Plus you can never have TOO much Protection. :D /QUOTE]

In the interest of saving you some money and having you drive a little farther, Altitude Steel has a huge amount of steel in their scrap bin that they will sell to FR members for $.50 per pound. A lot of it is in new shape and is considerably cheaper than new steel at C&M. I know they are quite a bit closer to you, so it depends on how much steel and how much money you want to spend.

That steel for that rig for a bumper is serious overkill. Looks like it would work better on a 69 Dodge Power Wagon...the military version...

74fj40
March 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm honestly not to worried about the bumper, I can't imagine it making THAT big of a difference.