PDA

View Full Version : My buddy's FJ Cruiser

SubaCool
September 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Remember my buddy Mike from the run I did with Smash a few weeks back? Well, his :princess: wrecked his sweet FJ last week! I'm not sure on the details but apparently she ran a red light and hit a Yukon (or something that size) at 40mph. Nobody got hurt, just the vehicles. The insurance adjuster came to look at it today and will probably total it out. Looks like the frame might be tweaked a bit and there's some excessive damage to the body. Who knows though, it might get saved. Here it is (snapped with my cell):

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6585/image009cx.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4022/image010kr.jpg

Chris
September 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Damn, sad to see! I trust she's fine? (At least until she told Mike)

Roostercruiser
September 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
glad everybody is alright. sorry about the truck

Smash
September 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ooo that's worse than I thought when you sent me the pictures via text. Glad everyone's alright. Sounds like his girlfriend/wife needs a lesson in how to obey traffic laws. I'm glad she hit another large car and not a motorcycle.....

SubaCool
September 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Damn, sad to see! I trust she's fine? (At least until she told Mike)
Yes, she's fine... for now :p

Man, you guys are quick to post! Posted at 5:52, got three replies by 5:55 :D

Andrew
September 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Looks like that damage multiplier (brush guard) did it's job. Too bad.

Those things are horrible.

Chris
September 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Man, you guys are quick to post! Posted at 5:52, got three replies by 5:55 :D

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I spend way too much time online. :lol:

SubaCool
September 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Looks like that damage multiplier (brush guard) did it's job. Too bad.

Those things are horrible.
Yes, we've agreed on the same thing. If that grill guard wasn't there I think it would have looked a bit better. Mike is already saying that if the insurance company doesn't total it out he'll go with a proper steel bumper.

We did chain up a truck to it today and it looks a bit straighter now :lol:

AboveNBeyond
September 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Damn those RED lights... :eek:

Rob
September 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ouch. Glad everyone's OK. Also glad my :princess: refuses to drive either of my FJs. The FJC is too big and the 40 doesn't have enough safety features for her (like a lap belt isn't enough).

I'm curious. Do you know if the airbag deployed?

SubaCool
September 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm curious. Do you know if the airbag deployed?
Yes... ~15 seconds after it all came to rest :erm: (From what I've heard)

Haku
September 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Defintiely get all the intact aftermarket stuff of it before the insurance company get their hands on it. I bet those tires are good, and parts of the aftermarket lift system and such. Definitely glad all involved are feeling fine though, now its the fun times of getting to deal with insurance adjusters and all that.

JH

Mporter
September 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Oh dang.....

Brody
September 30th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I am glad that everyone is OK! Little rough on the FJ. Wonder what the damage would have been if there was an after market steel bumper on it instead of the factory plastic with the bolt on bull bar/grill guard thing.

I hope that I never hit someone in my heap....

WINKY
September 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I hope that I never hit someone in my heap....

same here, the battering ram on the front of brutus would obliterate anything he hits...:D

Funrover
September 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Glad everyone is OK!! That is the first FJC I have seen with front damage, seems to have held up really well!

SubaCool
September 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
same here, the battering ram on the front of brutus would obliterate anything he hits...:D
As much as I like the looks of steel bumpers, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of it in an accident. No matter what vehicle I'm in. Then again, what does the impact do to the driver of such truck? I mean, the energy has to go somewhere and airbags usually don't work the same with steel bumpers...

Funrover
September 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
As much as I like the looks of steel bumpers, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of it in an accident. No matter what vehicle I'm in. Then again, what does the impact do to the driver of such truck? I mean, the energy has to go somewhere and airbags usually don't work the same with steel bumpers...

With his mass and size he would mearly just keep going and not feel much.

WINKY
September 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM

i try not to hit anything:rolleyes:

Whitey Jr
September 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM
well this is what happened when my stinger met a BMW
http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=149&pictureid=1878

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=1170

Whitey Jr
September 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
as you can see it doesnt turn out well for the lesser car

Brody
September 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Well, I don't have air bags and the stupid collapsible section of the steering wheel got a Hi Lift jack handle trail repair that got rewelded after I got home. It has been that way for 4 years. If I have my 4 points all the way on I probably won't eat the steering wheel, but then I never drive on the road with them on, just the seat belts. I guess I would have to hope that I managed to get a forearm in front of my face and risk breaking it or simply break my nose for the 4th time...I'll find out when it happens, if it happens...I am actually more worried about the other guy who may end up with my wheels in either his back or front seat...or T boning someone and doing a demo derby launch over the top of his car because mine sits high and the stinger would just act as a launch pad...

BTW, air bags would be the first thing to go in any newer vehicle I ever own. They rate right up there with automatic locking doors, idiotic voices that tell when the lights are on(who needs a damn car that talks to you, anyway?), those stupid ass seat belts that automatically retract when you get into or out of a car, stupid chimes for when you leave the keys in the car or the lights on, cars that don't let you start the damn thing or turn it off if it isn't in the right gear, etc, etc. All the crap that they put on cars that is the same stuff they put on saws: "Keep fingers away from blade" Yeah, no ****. If you are actually that dumb and have to be told that, you shouldn't be using the tool...

I once rented a car that had the idiot belts and the cutesy voice. As soon as I drove it out of the rental place, I went to a drive through car wash and spent the next 20 minutes getting rid of all the bells, buzzers, voices and disconnecting the seat belt BS...

BLUE THUNDER
September 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The air bags work the same if you had a steel bumper or no bumper on your vehicle. The air bags still comes out with the same force to the face. But on a side note, I work in a body shop and I can tell if a woman was driving. Because of the lipstick is on the bag.

4Runninfun
October 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
what about if an a$$hole was driving? :D sorry just had to.

Brody I sorta agree with you but it is amazing the improvements that have been made in vehicle safety. I've been watching a ton of crash videos lately...can't say why just been searching for them on youtube. and it's amazing exactly how many of the modern systems like air bags and the like work together. I still don't want all the stupid dings and what not. I remember driving in MA and i saw this car in front of me get turned side ways and nail the guard rail at 55mph. the car bounced back accross all 3 lanes of traffic. the girl that was driving got out and started jumping around because her car was pretty messed up. I kept thinking to myself holy crap i can't believe she doesn't realize how lucky she is. in something without airbags and crush zones she'd be in a bad spot right now. although i also gotta brag about mercedes watching their crash vids they are just amazing how well they hold up. and makes me glad i drive my old 89 around town.

SubaCool
October 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ok, so the insurance co totaled it out :( Now Mike is facing a dillema: to take off the lift he would need some OEM parts to replace it with. So, my question to you guys is: Does anybody want a lift to trade for an OEM setup (off course, for a little extra cost probably)? He will be selling the wheels and tires too. Also he has an aftermarket intake and catback exhaust on it. The insurance co will pick up the FJ either tomorrow or Monday. If Mike can stall them till Monday, this could be done. His cell phone # is 720-231-1366, call him up!
Also, maybe somebody could post this on the FJ forum? Thanks for reading :thunb:

Aaron
October 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Its not funny, but since no one was hurt. Did anyone notice that as far as car "faces" go, that one now looks like it belongs in an insane asylum. Reminds me of the crazy hyena on Lion King, Ed I think his name was.

SubaCool
October 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Its not funny, but since no one was hurt. Did anyone notice that as far as car "faces" go, that one now looks like it belongs in an insane asylum. Reminds me of the crazy hyena on Lion King, Ed I think his name was.
LOL, you're right! Or better yet, kinda looks like it's winking - hey! If that was a Dodge that could have been WINKY's new avatar :lol:

Smash
October 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
There's got to be a few local FJ forums he can post on.

gm4x4lover
October 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I am that everything for the most part turned out well. cars are repairable/replaceable people aren't.

Brody I sorta agree with you but it is amazing the improvements that have been made in vehicle safety. I've been watching a ton of crash videos lately...can't say why just been searching for them on youtube. and it's amazing exactly how many of the modern systems like air bags and the like work together. I still don't want all the stupid dings and what not. I remember driving in MA and i saw this car in front of me get turned side ways and nail the guard rail at 55mph. the car bounced back accross all 3 lanes of traffic. the girl that was driving got out and started jumping around because her car was pretty messed up. I kept thinking to myself holy crap i can't believe she doesn't realize how lucky she is. in something without airbags and crush zones she'd be in a bad spot right now. although i also gotta brag about mercedes watching their crash vids they are just amazing how well they hold up. and makes me glad i drive my old 89 around town.

You should try watching some saab and volvo crash videos. They are amazinging. You can see every thing work as it should and not even shatter any glass.

With that said i do not like to drive vehicles with abs, air bags, and crumple zones. First thing i do is pull fuses on the abs / srs systems. I cant tell you how many accidents i have seen where the air bags hurt more people than they have saved. They burn people, break bones, and disorientate people. Seat belts save peoples lives every day, airbags for the damage they do to a vehicle glass dashboards, side panels, seats, and other parts of the cars. If you have more than one air bag deploy on a modern used car its pretty much totaled. And for those of us that drive older cars that we pay cash for, it either makes us have full coverage (which isnt worth it imho) or if something happens we just trash the car.

Years ago before even abs was on trucks and on very few cars we ( my family and i) we on vacation got hit head on by a dominos delivery driver. He was trying to make his 30 min or less time. He failed to yield right away making a left hand turn accross traffic and hit us head on. We were traveling at 55mph and he was doing 65mph. We were in a k5 blazer and he was in a grand am. Both parties walked away with out any minor injuries. Because of that accident i am a firm believer in seat belts and the bigger vehicle always wins. Both vehicles were totaled but that pontiac was absolutely trashed.

I have read/seen studies regarding abs. For the most part stopping distance was the same comparing 2 of the same vehicles. One car with a skilled driver and the other car the driver is to mash the Pedal to the floor. On slick and wet roads the abs vehicle and the non abs vehicle stop mostly the same distance. On dry roads abs takes longer to stop than non abs. On really slick roads the benefit is an uneducated driver still has steering control. One thing the test did was to study drivers and found abs was more harmful in many situations because drives felt uncomfortable pushing the pedal to the point in which the abs would kick in. The pedal vibration would scare them and they would lift pressure off the pedal to make it go away. The conclusion of the test was drivers needed more training to be able to properly stop faster with more control with or without abs Also the abs gives people a false sense of security.

Funrover
October 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
You should try watching some saab and volvo crash videos..

Yeah my buddy was in a bad crash in his Saab. He was doing about 15 and was rear ended in a drunk doing about 75 in an F350. My buddy had a sore arm... no bruises, no cuts.. his arm was a little sore that was it. Both vehicles were totalled

A-TRAC
October 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Wonder what the damage would have been if there was an after market steel bumper on it instead of the factory plastic with the bolt on bull bar/grill guard thing.

Steel bumper and no brush guard, the damage would have been definitively less.

Here's a picture of my FJ, impact wasn't head on, passenger front, but you can tell it would have been considerably worse without the steel bumper and with a brush guard.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/HitnRun/IMG_9239.jpg

SubaCool
October 2nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
The insurance co took it this morning. Mike was able to salvage his wheels and tires, his intake and some other goodies. Not sure on the brand on the wheels, but they're very nice 17" black wheels. The tires are Mickey Thompson Baja MXT's, 33's with 16K on them (hardly any wear).

Roo
October 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
The insurance co took it this morning. Mike was able to salvage his wheels and tires, his intake and some other goodies. Not sure on the brand on the wheels, but they're very nice 17" black wheels. The tires are Mickey Thompson Baja MXT's, 33's with 16K on them (hardly any wear).

Wheels look like ProComp 7089's. What's he want for them? I'll trade even for a factory set of alloys on BFG AT KO's:lol:

SubaCool
October 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Wheels look like ProComp 7089's. What's he want for them? I'll trade even for a factory set of alloys on BFG AT KO's:lol:
Mike said the wheels and tires cost him over $2000 and if he could get $1200 out of them he'd be happy. Call him if interested.

zak8tac
November 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Does he still have the intake? What brand and how much $$?

SubaCool
November 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Does he still have the intake? What brand and how much $$?

His cell phone # is 720-231-1366 , call him up!
:thunb: