PDA

View Full Version : CB's

Mporter
September 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM
So I know of some of the companies that make em (Uniden, Cobra, etc.) but I have never actually looked too far into em.

I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on brands/models that are keepers and ones I should steer away from.
Also, tips on antennas, installation, or anything related to putting one in a rig.

I'm sure there's hundreds of threads out there on this already, but I'm a little short for time right now and figure I can just check the thread once I get back from work.

Thanks!

Andrew
September 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cobra or Midland are the two more widely used ones.

I prefer the Cobra 75WXST - it is easy to mount just about anywhere, and all of the functions are built into the handset so you don't have to look down/feel around for channel or other options. And when unplugged it doesn't even look like you have a CB in there - save for your antenna.

I recommend a Firestik antenna with a tunable tip - easier to tune than ones you have to add/subtract wire to.

Make sure you have a good ground. Avoid running antenna cable over any higher power wires that may exist in your rig - in mine people have to avoid the passenger side because of the fuel sending unit.

Don't coil extra cable - run it more in a long back and forth loop - not a circle.

Most importantly, take it to a CB shop or if you know a trucker with an SWR meter that can tune the CB/Antenna for you - do that before you use the CB so you don't blow out your unit.

Power should be run straight to the battery, with either inline fuse or to a fuse box close to battery with a fuse. Ground needs to be good - the better the ground the less noise you deal with.

For antennas that stick above the roof (which you want for best reception) I recommend mounting on a spring. We have lots of low hanging tree branches on trails here in CO.

It's not hard. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

WINKY
September 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Galaxy cb's are very good.

wilson antenna's are more flexible, tunable tip as well. lighter.

WINKY
September 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
incase you do get time to read.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4994

WINKY
September 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Matt, since you live in lakewood i can help you install your system and get it running good. i live off of 6th and union. I can teach you what you need and show you where would be best to do what and worh with you on what you want.

Brody
September 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
So I know of some of the companies that make em (Uniden, Cobra, etc.) but I have never actually looked too far into em.

I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on brands/models that are keepers and ones I should steer away from.
Also, tips on antennas, installation, or anything related to putting one in a rig.

I'm sure there's hundreds of threads out there on this already, but I'm a little short for time right now and figure I can just check the thread once I get back from work.

Thanks!

This is coming from a non CB guy who has a CB in order to talk to people on the trail and when we caravan(I usually listen to music as I can figure out if there are bikes on the road, etc:D) and has no need to talk or listen to truckers miles or states away. I don't care to hear what they say, don't care what they drive, what they ate, where they are going, where they came from..I just flat don't care to talk to someone I don't know on the phone, CB, whatever...just the people I am on a run with

I had a cheapo Radio Shack CB that I bought used from Tye with a magnetic antenna. It worked fine. I grabbed a regular antenna for $10 later on and it worked better. I bought an 84 Yota that had a good/decent Cobra in it, so I sold the CB and antenna to Pathrat for $20. It works fine for her.

I had way too many dials and knobs on the Cobra and, instead of helping with anything, were more of a royal PITA than anything else. I finally got tired of the BS non working Cobra(it was old), gave it to Randy to screw with, and picked up a very simple $34 WalMart special CB that does everything I want it to. It also has only two knobs:volume and squelch.. This works perfectly well for what I want it to do.

So, it basically depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of range you want your CB to have. You find them used on craigslist all the time...and good ones. If you want to get a hot rod CB or get information on how to really dial it in so it has a bunch of range, etc, Randy is, for sure, THE MAN. He knows more about CBs that pretty much everyone else put together on this forum.

He also gets very frustrated with me as I am happy with a crappy little CB, turn it off when we caravan, and have a range of maybe 2 miles...

Both Chris and Sean have extra antennas. You might see if Randy has been able to fix the Cobra I gave him. You may get to see special people at WalMart, too...

WINKY
September 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
He also gets very frustrated with me as I am happy with a crappy little CB, turn it off when we caravan, and have a range of maybe 2 miles...

nah i dont get frustrated with you man :P

RicardoJM
September 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have both HAM and CB in my FJ40. For the CB I went with the Uniden 510 model. It is basic, simple and cheap. I picked up an antenna, mount, cable and SWR meter at Radio Service Center (on Sheridan) and connected it all up. The SWR was below 1.5. Works just fine on the trail.

Chris
September 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have a Cobra Classic LTD 24 or something like that. I've found the radio matters much less than the antenna. I also have a Ham and put a NMO through the roof for that. After hearing how much better Roktaxi & crew came through and I didn't I stopped in Radio Service Center last week and bought an antenna that uses the existing NMO mount. Roktaxi's is a long whip style that looks more like a Ham antenna but the guy at Radio Service Center center straightened me out and said that set up will work much better for me than the rigid style since I had the mount already. I've tested in in my driveway and can hear the truckers on I-70 so I think it'll be great on the trail. The whip style also is much more flexible against the trees, etc.

Short version: The antenna will cost more than the radio. ;)

Mporter
September 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Matt, since you live in lakewood i can help you install your system and get it running good. i live off of 6th and union. I can teach you what you need and show you where would be best to do what and worh with you on what you want.

Sweet man, it might be a month or so before I get the funds to do this (gonna focus on tires next).

But yeah I work at Bed Bath and Beyond in Golden, so I take union -> 6th occasionally. Although I try to avoid 6th as much as I can....C-470 is the way to go.

sunk
October 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM
I am a radio tech, and I dont live that far from you. If you would like help or need a watt meter let me know.

Mporter
October 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
I am a radio tech, and I dont live that far from you. If you would like help or need a watt meter let me know.

Thanks, I will probably hit you up when I finally get the funds/other projects outta the way first.

Roostercruiser
October 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
all my radios break i need to start buying them by the dozen. butni prefer galaxie or conex radio's. ranger radios are cheap and good.

sunk
October 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
What kind of radio tech are you? I have a Cobra I want some work done to. You interested?:)
I work on public safety radio systems. I started out installing electronics into vehicles, lights, sirens, radios, alarms, etc... I am not a bench tech. What do you want to do with your CB?

sunk
October 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Not to put anyone on the spot, or put my foot in my mouth...it seemed like patrolman on this forum like to play w/ electronics. If I cant help maybe he can.

JeffX
October 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have the WXST (http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75-Handset-Mobile-40-Channel/dp/B00005N5WW). It doesn't require a mounting location if you're short on dash space. I wish I had room for one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DGyyoQbpL._SS500_.jpg

Chris
October 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have one step below that I think, 24LTD. Mine has a few less features and knobs but it's a good radio. I was able to confirm my past problems were antenna related and using my new antenna made all the difference in the world.

Whitey Jr
October 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have the WXST (http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75-Handset-Mobile-40-Channel/dp/B00005N5WW). It doesn't require a mounting location if you're short on dash space. I wish I had room for one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DGyyoQbpL._SS500_.jpg

this is what i have and i love it. i have it mounted on my roof center consol I like it there except if the road gets really bumpy i have hit my hear on it and the corners arnt exactly round.

I had a crappy magnet antena and still could hear everything perfectly clear when WINKY helped with the tuning

ShutUpHippie
October 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have that same one! Love it.

Brody
October 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I work on public safety radio systems. I started out installing electronics into vehicles, lights, sirens, radios, alarms, etc... I am not a bench tech. What do you want to do with your CB?

Randy is the man when it comes to bench tech stuff, but it is good to know we have a couple of folks on the forum into this stuff. If you want to pick up side work on installs, post your information in member skills...

Metalhed
October 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but are the plug in, all in one CBs worth the investment. they would only be used when hunting and trail riding?

I dont even know if they still make them

Also, I see that some on this thread are heavily involved in radios, does anyone do repair. I have an older set of handheld FRS type radios. One was dropped and broke, I have the replacement speaker, just need it fixed. Is this doable?

Brody
October 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
You guys ought to condense this information into one concise article, complete with links and post it in the on a new thread sans chatter...

Not to hijack the thread, but are the plug in, all in one CBs worth the investment. they would only be used when hunting and trail riding?

Also, I see that some on this thread are heavily involved in radios, does anyone do repair. I have an older set of handheld FRS type radios. One was dropped and broke, I have the replacement speaker, just need it fixed. Is this doable?

PM Randy or Andrew. Either of these guys should be able to help you out with the repair work..

WINKY
October 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM

yes.

96blkbeauty
October 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Uniden PC78 Elite here. I love the radio. Had it peaked and tuned along with my firestick, and I have great reception. Has every function you could ever want on a CB. Then again it was like 170 bucks.

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/PC78ELITE/PC78ELITE.jpg

sunk
October 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I have a Cobra 29 basically. I want to replace the channel read out, tx/rx led and the meter light with blue ones. I have all the parts. I took the radio apart to do it myself, but there is too much crap holding the face on the radio. I have done it to my other radios, Galaxy and another Cobra, but this one intimidated me too much.
Have you taken the CB apart, do any of those components need to be soldered onto the board? I guess I could take a look at it if you would like.

Mporter
November 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Mmmmk....so I've pretty much narrowed it down to either of these.

http://cobra.com/products/mobile-cb-radios/18-wx-st-ii-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather
http://cobra.com/products/mobile-cb-radios/19-dx-iv-compact-cb-radio

Any opinions on those? I know Pete has the 19 and seemed to be good when I went on the Nov 1 trail run.

Hypoid
November 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I have the second unit with the wally-word, $10 antenna. For $50 I guess it does Ok, but I wish for the features found on the first radio.

RockyMtnHigh
November 11th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I got the Cobra 18 WX ST, bought it Walmart for I think $49.99. I like it! :thunb:

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
What about
http://midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/5001z

It's a little too long for my liking, but it looks like a good radio.

RockyMtnHigh
November 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM
It's a little too long for my liking, but it looks like a good radio.

I had a Uniden PC68 Elite: http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=PC68ELITE and one my dislikes about it was the size and weight, there was only one place I could mount it in the FJ, I accidentally dropped something on the face which crammed one of the switches in it and it quit working. I then bought the Cobra 18 WX ST, with it's size and weight there were a bunch of places I could mount it.

If you do anything, my opinion is stay with something smaller and lighter, for what you'll be using it for there's no sense buying any of them that cost $100+.

Brody
November 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
If you do anything, my opinion is stay with something smaller and lighter, for what you'll be using it for there's no sense buying any of them that cost $100+.

X2....unless you want to find out what your favorite trucker in Alabama is doing...and then you will have to perfect your southern accent and stop 'nuncatin' words because no one that you will be talking to does...(just do up a big bowl of grits, stick about 6 tablespoons in your mouth and then try talking...you'll be close..:D) anything over $100 is going to be a waste of $$.

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yep I just found a 18WXSTII on Amazon for $62 with free shipping....so i went ahead and bought it.

1freaky1
November 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Yep I just found a 18WXSTII on Amazon for $62 with free shipping....so i went ahead and bought it.
Do you still want the extra antenna I have?

RockyMtnHigh
November 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM

It's a really good CB, I am very happy with it. Something I failed to mention with the speaker on the front you can also mount it into a cubby or stereo location in the dash. The 10 weather channels, scan and dual channel scan are cool options I use a lot.

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Do you still want the extra antenna I have?

Uh, maybe. What brand and size is it?

1freaky1
November 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Uh, maybe. What brand and size is it?
Not sure on make as Pete picked up for me from another person on here, it is about 3-4 feet long.

Mporter
November 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Woo so I got my CB in the mail today (sooner than i thought :thunb:) and so I called Radio Service Center (thanks for the tip Randy) and they are open till 5 so I decided to make a little trip down there and...

$61.83 later I have all except my mount (holding off until I know exactly where I wanna put it).

And for the list of all the goodies:
Cobra 18WXSTII
Firestik II 4 foot black antenna
Firestik heavy duty spring
Browning 18' RG-58A/U coax cable.

:D

Chris
November 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I think I already said this but mounting the center of your roof with a flexible antenna from Radio Service Center is the best. I mounted mine all over until settling on this setup. Anything below roof level isn't too great on our wagons due the the ground plane effect.

Brody
November 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think I already said this but mounting the center of your roof with a flexible antenna from Radio Service Center is the best. I mounted mine all over until settling on this setup. Anything below roof level isn't too great on our wagons due the the ground plane effect.

X2 I mounted mine on top and the reception is better all the way around. Thanks to both Randy and Chris for explaining the 'ground plane' concept to me...

Whitey Jr
November 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
there is a guy not to far from you that can get you anything you need for cb's ANYTHING. he also is very knowledgeable on what works well and what is just cheap crap. http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5883 heres the front range post for his info

WINKY
November 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
there is a guy not to far from you that can get you anything you need for cb's ANYTHING. he also is very knowledgeable on what works well and what is just cheap crap. http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5883 heres the front range post for his info

check out post #39.....

Good morning Josh!:lol:

Whitey Jr
November 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
damn thats the only one i skipped. whatever lol

WINKY
November 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
HHAAHAHHAHAHA its all good :)

Mporter
November 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
So with my recently purchased CB, I am thinking of updating my head unit for playing music. I'm not getting anything fancy, what i'm looking at is
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR200/JVC-KD-R200.html?search=jvc+kdr200&ssi=0&tp=5684
since it's got all the features I want/need, and they say it will fit in the opening (with modifications of couse, since it's going from double -> single DIN).

However, this is an idea I have been toying with for a long time: Take out old double DIN deck and replace it with a single DIN deck and a CB radio.
Such like:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=332122&stc=1&d=1244867098
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/OutbackEquipped/93%20FZJ80%20Moya/Dash2.jpg
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/tacozilla/cobra29.jpg

I think it would be a cool/unique way to have both items added to the dash and try to keep it looking somewhat OEM.

However, my manager at work brought up a good point when I told him the idea. He said that with the H/U on and the CB on, things would heat up a bit. I'm not sure if it would get to such high temps that it would start frying stuff, however, I wondered if it would interfer with signals that the CB is trying to transmit/receive.

Any opinions/experience in this neck of the woods? Thanks

P.S. the first 2 pics have the Cobra 18WXSTII, which is the radio I have.

Andrew
November 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Crutchfield is awesome you get the install kit with everything.

I recommend you get something with USB - that way you can just get like a cheap 4GB memory stick, fill it with MP3's and never bother changing CD's and such.

And I think you would be fine having both in there. I don't think it will heat up enough to cook anything.

What would be cool (I think) is if the two were tied together - so when the CB received it played over the regular speakers and cut the music, same with sending - cut the music.

Mporter
November 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your input.
I don't really need anything fancy as far as a deck is concerned....I need 3 basic functions (1) look good/fit (2) sound good (3) play my Zune
But yeah right now I have the factory radio install (tape player only) and i use a tape -> 3.5mm adaptor to listen to music, but this has been kinda acting up lately. Plus my head unit now doesnt receive FM signals all that well.

That would be pretty sweet to do the whole intertwined system thing, however that is electrical stuff that would be way over my head...

Chris
November 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hey Matt, the easiest, best & cheapest is installing a Scion radio. It's plug & play right down to the stock mounting brackets. Minor trimming of the face or dash is all that's required. Scion owners sell hem for $50. I have one and use my iPod all the time, very nice and cheap enough.

WINKY
November 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM
get something with a usb port, use a thumb drive to store music on and play it from that. this is what im sticking in little brutus

Mporter
November 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
get something with a usb port, use a thumb drive to store music on and play it from that. this is what im sticking in little brutus

That's a good idea, but ill stick with my 30gb Zune or 30gb iPod Video.

Thanks though :thunb:

transplant87
November 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
i no a place that has a blurtooth raido with a i-pod and a mp3 player for 107 with tax

Medic-5150
November 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Back to CBs....Mine doesn't work, not sure why. I've got the cable running under my truck, tucked up in the frame rales. Antenna is behind my cab and sticks up above my cab. the unit is mounted....kinda still working on that...in the dash under my radio. The unit is grounded under the dash....to something that has all the other electronics grounded to it. I figured that was a good ground since the factory had used it for everything else. All I get is noise. I can faintly hear trucker voices over the noise, and when I adjust the sqwelch the noise gets a little better then everything just drops off and there's no noise. Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is a case of lakc of knowledge and installers error...

WINKY
November 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
is it a "whine" that your referring too? And if so does the whine go up in pitch when you rev the engine? how exactly do you have the power to it hooked up?

Medic-5150
November 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
is it a "whine" that your referring too? And if so does the whine go up in pitch when you rev the engine?

I had that and then I moved the ground to it's current location and that went away. Now it's just a constant buzzing sort of noise. I can adjust the RF/sqwelch and it does go away but so does all other noise. I'm terrible with anything electrical. I fail just about every time I even come close to touching something related to it. I spliced the power into an ignition controlled power outlet as well, if that helps at all...

transplant87
November 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Back to CBs....Mine doesn't work, not sure why. I've got the cable running under my truck, tucked up in the frame rales. Antenna is behind my cab and sticks up above my cab. the unit is mounted....kinda still working on that...in the dash under my radio. The unit is grounded under the dash....to something that has all the other electronics grounded to it. I figured that was a good ground since the factory had used it for everything else. All I get is noise. I can faintly hear trucker voices over the noise, and when I adjust the sqwelch the noise gets a little better then everything just drops off and there's no noise. Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is a case of lakc of knowledge and installers error...
try spending 5bucks and go to the pilot and get a power outlet cord and see if the noise gos away

wat kind of cb is it

WINKY
November 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
your best to run it directly to the battery with the negative and positive with a fuse on the positive closest to the battery. If it still persists a ground loop isolator may be needed.

something similar to this.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/accessories/DC_Noise_filter.htm

stereo's have these built in thus why you dont get noise. cb's sometimes do, sometimes dont. Try movnig the ground to another spot as well, to a place on its own to something that leads to a good ground.

Medic-5150
November 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
your best to run it directly to the battery with the negative and positive with a fuse on the positive closest to the battery. If it still persists a ground loop isolator may be needed.

something similar to this.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/accessories/DC_Noise_filter.htm

Alright, I'll rewire it as soon as I get a chance. What's the best way to get it through the firewall?

WINKY
November 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
I spliced the power into an ignition controlled power outlet as well, if that helps at all...

just read this part, this is your issue. the power must be direct to the battery through nothing else or spliced. your getting a lot of noise from the alternator, fuel pump other things too....:thunb:

yes through the firewall. you can slip it through the grommet boot that other wires are going through and then run it to the battery with a fuse 10amp on the positive lead closest to the battery.

Medic-5150
November 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
just read this part, this is your issue. the power must be direct to the battery through nothing else or spliced. your getting a lot of noise from the alternator, fuel pump other things too....:thunb:

alright, so much for the directions. It recommended wiring it that way lol.

WINKY
November 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
the only thing wrong with wiring like the directions say is you introduce alot of noise. Some cars put more noise in, others dont...

all they care bout it getting power to it, nothing else..

Medic-5150
November 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
the only thing wrong with wiring like the directions say is you introduce alot of noise. Some cars put more noise in, others dont...

all they care bout it getting power to it, nothing else..

Alright, so are there any tricks to getting it through the firewall?

WINKY
November 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
take a coat hanger, put a small loop in the end of it, put tape on it to not catch anything then loop the power wire through that, tape it back up and gently pull it through. just like snaking wire through conduit