PDA

View Full Version : Another trail closed

1freaky1
September 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
According to the posting on Traildamage.com part of this trail is now permanently closed, here is their link;

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=156

Brody
September 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
My guess is that this is FS 322A which got closed off quite a few years ago. It used to be the way to get to FS 322 (the actual Winding Stairs Road) and connected Mt Herman Road with FS 322, which goes down to Palmer Reservoir. Now you have to drive to Rampart Range Road then back up to FS 322.

I included a lot of rock climbs in my South Platte guidebook that you passed going from Mt Herman to FS 322 via 322A and, at the time , you could drive right up to them. We have also put up quite a few new rock climbs in the Ice Cave Creek area/drainage which we accessed via FS 322. This road was open last year, so if there isn't a 'new' closure, then I think that you are referring to the older FS322A closure (about 1999 or 2000) which was discussed in the 'Need help with trail...' thread earlier this year.

FS 322A was an area that needed to be closed as it had essentially become a huge garbage pit and no one was doing anything about it. It was bad when we were putting up new routes there in the 90s and we always picked at least 4 big bags of trash every time we were there. People had driven over and trashed out everything you could possibly drive over, around or through. People had shown no respect for this area for years. Though I hate the FS trail closures, this is actually one area that truly needed it. You now have to walk a big deal 1/4 mile to get to the rocks, but at least you aren't stepping over someone's **** pile anymore.

4Runninfun
September 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I sorta agree with you brody, i HATE going up mt. herman anymore. it is always trashed. idiots are always up there in force. it's simply a road that connects woodland park to monument for me anymore.

ShutUpHippie
September 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's a shame it has to end that way though.. Too bad people can't just be responsible about stuff, everything would last longer and be more accessible.

Haku
September 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Isn't that the section of road that is really sketchy, off camber and loose? I read the description way back when I first found traildamage, and remember thinking that I never wanted to run it. Something about it being tippy and sketchy going down, and impossible to get up without a winch for most rigs. Maybe I'm wrong, but that could be a motivating factor for it too.

They do seem to be really focusing on that area as a place to shut down though lately. Most of the controversial closures I have heard of recently have been in the Rampart Range area. That area gets more populated every year with all the suburban sprawl happening, so its not really surprising. Too bad though, since its really pretty and has a lot to offer for a lot of different activities and uses.

JH