PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Poudre Canyon/Kelley Flats

BlackRubi
September 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Ashley and I are going to camp this weekend, starting Friday 25 SEP and ending Sunday 27 SEP. We'll most likely camp at Ansel Watrous (lower) campground or maybe the Kelley Flats campground. We plan on running Kelley Flats on Saturday around noon. Just thought I would see if anyone might be interested. The weather is expected to turn for the better this weekend, so that shouldn't be an issue. The more the merrier!!!:thunb:

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Josh and James are going to up in this area this weekend running Moody and Crystal, trails that are at least comparable to Kelly Flats. Why don't you guys hook up with them? Here is that link:

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-9-26&e=115&c=1

They are also going to be doing the 'mud loop'-Sevenmile +three other trails in the same area. Sounds to me like you should hook up with those guys if you want to get a lot of wheeling in. I don't know where they are planning on camping, but it on the calendar or planned trail run posts. They know the area really well...

Smash
September 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Have fun! I wish we could go camping this weekend, the colors should be perfect. Mom's gonna be in town though, and she hates getting dirty. Sigh.

Take pictures!

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ansel is nice, they are both to close to the highway for me though. If there in a Concert at the bar just up the way from Ansel you will hear it loud and clear all night... Just an FYI

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ansel is nice, they are both to close to the highway for me though. If there in a Concert at the bar just up the way from Ansel you will hear it loud and clear all night... Just an FYI
Ansel just has a really nice pool for fishing. When I don't have the wife and little one, I usually disperse camp somewhere near the hatchery, about a mile off of the road. Last time I went up, there was some big festival at that bar, and all campsites were taken up to Kelly Flats.

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ansel just has a really nice pool for fishing. When I don't have the wife and little one, I usually disperse camp somewhere near the hatchery, about a mile off of the road. Last time I went up, there was some big festival at that bar, and all campsites were taken up to Kelly Flats.

There are great spots all over that Canyon, what prevents you from disperse camping with the family?

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
There are great spots all over that Canyon, what prevents you from disperse camping with the family?
The wife likes having the bathroom amenities with the little one around.

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Kinda what I figured.

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Oh that's such crap - I am all for dispersed camping - not to completely dime him out, but the man can't catch a fish to save his life, so we camp at Ansel 'cause that's the only place he's ever been able to catch a fish! Hahaha...:D

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Oh that's such crap - I am all for dispersed camping - not to completely dime him out, but the man can't catch a fish to save his life, so we camp at Ansel 'cause that's the only place he's ever been able to catch a fish! Hahaha...:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Here is a pic of camping off of Sevenmile F.S. 225 (right by Kelly Flats) it's free and a lot of fun!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Offroad/Womens%20Weekend/IMG_8782.jpg

AboveNBeyond
September 24th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Talked to the misses about going, her concern was COLD... lol

But seriously, did it snow there, anyone know?

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
It's supposed to warm up this weekend. It will be cold at night, but that's why a fire and blankets come in handy =)

Andrew
September 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
It's supposed to warm up this weekend. It will be cold at night, but that's why a fire and blankets come in handy =)

And a 0° mummy bag helps too.

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Shenanigans!!! I can catch fish. Just not Colorado fish. The uppity little jerks won't jump on my line like the bass down south do. So I lose patience and/or become distracted by something shiny.:lol:

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Shenanigans!!! I can catch fish. Just not Colorado fish. The uppity little jerks won't jump on my line like the bass down south do. So I lose patience and/or become distracted by something shiny.:lol:

ROFLMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So you actually have to fish here you say? LMAO! :lol:

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM
ROFLMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So you actually have to fish here you say? LMAO! :lol:
Not so much "fish" but finesse. It's kinda like you have to take them out for dinner and a movie before they'll take the bait.

porkchop
September 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
me and josh and a few others are gonna camp at moody crystal then do bald mountain/ green ridge on sunday dont know so much about seven mile but we'll see when we get there and it hasent snowed in the ft. collins area and weather is supposed to be nice so if you wanna join in for some wheelin dont be shy we dont bite

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM

This is so nice to see! Someone else has trouble with the fish up here who is also from the south! Hard to remain positive when you get outwitted by a cold blooded thing that doesn't breathe oxygen and eats worms....

I used to actually catch bass, perch, bream, etc, etc in the south. I go fishing up here and the damn things are so smart they have an IQ...Last fish I actually 'caught' up here, I got so frustrated (after hucking my WalMart rod and reel as far as I could throw it, much to the delight of my friends), I chummed the water until there were a nice little bunch of brookies happily eating and nailed the area where they were with a couple of sabot rounds out of my 12 gauge. Then I simply netted them and started cooking fish for din din...My 'fishing' friends were aghast...Hey...so I am a bad sport...

AboveNBeyond
September 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Sorry Kyle... the :princess: says it will be way to cold for her. Guess no more camping in the mountains till next summer for us?:o

BlackRubi
September 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry Kyle... the :princess: says it will be way to cold for her. Guess no more camping in the mountains till next summer for us?:o

No worries. You guys have a good weekend.

Funrover
September 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Pssssttt.. Many campers have heaters :D

Rob
September 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Yep, here's what you'll be listening to Saturday night from Mishawaka Amphitheater (and seeing as how it's a NORML fundraiser, you might get a contact high if the wind's blowing just right:eek:):

Saturday Sep 26, 2009
NORML's Harvest Festival Fundraiser Presents
Pato Banton & The Now Generation
All Ages Show
doors: 7:00 PM, show: 8:00 PM
$20.00 in adv, $23.00 day of show
Event Information:
A Pato Banton concert is an event not to be missed and an experience not to be forgotten.
Positive Vibrations abound with a beat to keep you on your dancing feet, while Pato delivers a message that is food for the mind and soul. Many have considered his charismatic performance as live theatre where no show is alike and audience members become participants in the experience. Pato dialogues with the crowd on a range of topics including current day events and spiritual freedom while keeping the vibes upbeat and fun! The direction of the concert is totally based on the feedback Pato receives from the audience as there is no fixed set list. Many have said that the positivity generated from the stage has changed their lives forever. Sometimes Pato invites his fans to join him in a prayer circle after the show, where some have cried while sharing their stories of contemplated suicide, isolation after losing a loved one, struggles with substance abuse and how their personal connection with Pato has given them the strength to "Stay Positive" & "Never Give In."

porkchop
September 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
This is so nice to see! Someone else has trouble with the fish up here who is also from the south! Hard to remain positive when you get outwitted by a cold blooded thing that doesn't breathe oxygen and eats worms....

I used to actually catch bass, perch, bream, etc, etc in the south. I go fishing up here and the damn things are so smart they have an IQ...Last fish I actually 'caught' up here, I got so frustrated (after hucking my WalMart rod and reel as far as I could throw it, much to the delight of my friends), I chummed the water until there were a nice little bunch of brookies happily eating and nailed the area where they were with a couple of sabot rounds out of my 12 gauge. Then I simply netted them and started cooking fish for din din...My 'fishing' friends were aghast...Hey...so I am a bad sport...
actually fish do breath oxygen with there gills and i here power bait works really well around here but i havent fished in years so i dont really know.
also another interesting fact rust is caused by oxygen but the oxygen has to be in liquid form funny thing about water is hydrogen by its self is flamable and oxygen promotes fire but combine them you have water which puts out fires just some fun facts for the day
oh and i know im a smart ass kid and you probably knew all that but hey some ones gotta be the smart ass lol

Brody
September 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
oh and i know im a smart ass kid and you probably knew all that but hey some ones gotta be the smart ass lol

Glad to see I am not the only smart ass....:lol:

BlackRubi
September 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
OK. So we're back. We decided to depart the campground much earlier than expected due to large number of black widow spiders, the first of which we noticed crawling on our daughter. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actuall a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail. The fishing was awesome. We caught well over our limit in a short amount of time. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Friday was cool, a little chilly at night, but not a big deal, Saturday was a little on the warm side, but not unbearable. Saturday evening/night were in the mid to low 70s, then we got back to Denver around midnight last night and it was a good 10-15 degrees cooler. It's a little odd to drive north to get away from chilly weather. All in all, it was a good trip, a little short, but good. I didn't take too many pictures, but I'll post what I got before too long.

Brody
September 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM
OK. So we're back. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actually a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Everyone was supposed to meet at the Kelly Flats parking area around 10AM. What time were you there?

Don't like spiders much..Surprised to hear you mention Black Widows as they are usually found around homes in darker areas. Good to know for future reference.

The trail has gotten harder at the start than what it used to be. There is about 1/4 mile right off the start that is harder than just about anything else on the trail that isn't a named obstacle. Once you are through this section, the rest of the trail is pretty straight forward.

This area is the northern 'banana belt' and many times has a lot less snow than surrounding areas, making it a popular 'winter' run location. Not true for all years and the location is a fooler as you would expect a lot more snow.

BlackRubi
September 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
It's possible that I brought the spiders with me in the camp stuff, but I would think that we would have noticed them when setting up or something, not more than a full day later. I was at Kelly Flats around 2PM or so on Saturday. I was going to do the run with everyone, but the fishing was just too damn good to stop. I was actually looking for some deadfall for firewood and I remembered a bunch of it was up there just past the giant puddle at the start of the Heart Attack Hill bypass.

Haku
September 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
OK. So we're back. While there, I did the first little part of Kelley Flats, but nothing else. I was actually a little apprehensive about even doing the first part because it's a little tippier than I remember from a few months back and I didn't have a spotter. It was just me and the little one in the Jeep and I didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Everyone was supposed to meet at the Kelly Flats parking area around 10AM. What time were you there?

Don't like spiders much..Surprised to hear you mention Black Widows as they are usually found around homes in darker areas. Good to know for future reference.

The trail has gotten harder at the start than what it used to be. There is about 1/4 mile right off the start that is harder than just about anything else on the trail that isn't a named obstacle. Once you are through this section, the rest of the trail is pretty straight forward.

This area is the northern 'banana belt' and many times has a lot less snow than surrounding areas, making it a popular 'winter' run location. Not true for all years and the location is a fooler as you would expect a lot more snow.

I got to the Kelley Flats trailhead a bit before 10am on Sunday, and left about 10:15am to head up to Rustic and the Bald Mountain trailhead. It ended up just being me and Porkchop (and his buddy riding along), which worked out great. I'm actually a bit glad that it was just us two, as it is a long long trail and we were hauling ass through most of the stuff, definitely faster then most people like to go. Still got off the trail (completely covered in Mud) a bit after 4pm. A great, but long day.

JH