PDA

View Full Version : W&T - L.L, C.L., R.P. & J.C.

Chris
September 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Wednesday & Thursday Barb and I ran a few local trails - Loch Lomond, Chinn's Lake, Rollins Pass & Jenny Creek. We were unimpressed with Loch Lomond, pretty much just a bumpy road to a nondescript lake. Maybe in Spring when the falls are running strong it's a different story.Chinn's Lake was much nicer along with the other lakes/reservoir but again, late in the season the water's low and not what anyone would call scenic. Rollins Pass is very nice and one we always enjoy. Barb because of the scenery and me because of Jenny Creek. I'd hate to make that drive just for Jenny Creek but sure can't drive by one of the nicest short trails around. The main obstacle on Jenny's Creek was harder than when I did it last a couple years ago but not too difficult even with wet tires after crossing the creek.

I recall someone saying they'd heard there was an illegal bypass to get through Needles Eye which I can assure everyone is not true. There's no way anyone could get through the barriers. I sure would like to see it re-open someday though.

Funrover
September 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Glad you had a fun time, sorry the trails didn't live up to the expectations

Chris
September 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Here are some Needles Eye pics, obviously no way to get from the east side to west.

Funrover
September 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The old shortcut started down by the lake...not there..but it doesn't matter now

Chris
September 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Jenny Creek Pics

Chris
September 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
The old shortcut started down by the lake...not there..but it doesn't matter now

Yeah, I saw that.

BlackRubi
September 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Ashley and I went up to Loch Lomond on Tuesday. Like you said, it's just an easy little trail. While there, we scoped out a few nice little camping sites. We might make a run up there just to camp for a couple of days.

Brody
September 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the pictures and report!

Loch Lomond I never saw the attraction in, either. From my remarks on Jenny Creek, I mention boring and tedious a number of times in connection to just getting to the actual trail...Sweet little bit of trail, though and the offshoots off the Jenny trail are kinda fun.

Glad you had fun.

Chris
September 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Ashley and I went up to Loch Lomond on Tuesday. Like you said, it's just an easy little trail. While there, we scoped out a few nice little camping sites. We might make a run up there just to camp for a couple of days.

Chinn's wold be better IMHO but both took some abuse over Labor day. I think we took the same trails as some morons who used paper towels as TP and for some reason felt putting a rock on top of the used stuff was the right thing to do. Ran across the same stuff on Rollins. :rant:

Smash
September 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Beautiful pictures!! The one in the creek is priceless.

Pathrat
September 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Chinn's wold be better IMHO but both took some abuse over Labor day. I think we took the same trails as some morons who used paper towels as TP and for some reason felt putting a rock on top of the used stuff was the right thing to do. Ran across the same stuff on Rollins. :rant:

The usual suspects. :mad: I went up two years ago in the spring. It was more challenging with a wet trail. Later in the season Loch Lommond has a nice variety of flowers. The issue I had was the breathing trash in the area.

Rob
September 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5291&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1252641596 (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5291&d=1252641596)

Josh, James and I ran it from the opposite direction last weekend. Coming down that obstacle was tricky, but fun. I should post some pics in a trail run report thread, eh?

We scouted some nice spurs off Rollins while we were up there. Good stuff.

Brody
September 12th, 2009, 05:12 AM
OK, since a bunch of you guys just ran this trail and some others in the area, do any of you think that either Randy or Roland could have gotten their rigs through (Jenny Creek) without body damage?

I sure didn't think so and told Randy to avoid this one. I saw a post from somebody saying Roland should go for it in his Burbie, so I thought that I would ask...

Chris
September 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
There are some narrow sections where they'll get lots of pinstriping and a few tight turns but none harder than Red Cone. I'm not going to say they can do it though, I seem to have poor judgment on what other people can do. ;)