PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light comes on intermittently

DETN8R
September 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Just started doing this today. I have never had this problem before. Any ideas?

AboveNBeyond
September 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I think that means intermittently it will go off when you least expect it... Has it yet?

J/K - I would suspect a plug, but hell its a guess.

Patrolman
September 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have had to deal with airbag lights before in the Mazda's. In those cars the airbag system runs on its own computer module. For some idiotic reason there is a capacitor in them that will go bad. The light starts to flash one code. The capacitor can be replaced and the system can work fine again. But, ignore it long enough, and apparently the capacitor melts down and leaks on the board and ruins it, meaning you have to replace it. One of the cars had that, another had a loose capacitor. It actually came un-soldered and was bouncing around in the case of the module! Maybe yours is working loose? Could be it just needs a dab of solder.

Patrolman
September 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Forgot to mention, and this goes for everyone, MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE BATTERY! Also, there is a backup battery built in just in case the car battery fails. It is next to the module in the Mazda and is smaller than a soda can. MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THAT AS WELL! Either battery powers the airbags, and if you are messing with the system, one wrong move will set them off!

DETN8R
September 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks. According to some folks on CO4x4 it may be my clock spring. And it looks like it will be expensive to fix. I hate tearing apart the dash.

Patrolman
September 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Did it flash a code at all? See if there are any stored codes. That is place 1 to start. That is how I diagnosed the airbag problems. It triggered a code.

AboveNBeyond
September 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM
it may be my clock spring.

Is that a part from the same people who make the "Muffler Bearing" :lol:

Or is that a real part? :erm:

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
bucket o' signal grease.

DETN8R
September 8th, 2009, 02:15 AM
No check engine light so I wouldnt expect any codes.
The light goes on and off at random intervals every few minutes.

Mporter
September 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM
could be a short somewhere in your wiring. Or maybe theres a wire rubbed raw and its getting false signals somehow...but thats just my adolescent mind coming up with excuses

Ace
September 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
could be a short somewhere in your wiring. Or maybe theres a wire rubbed raw and its getting false signals somehow...but thats just my adolescent mind coming up with excuses

Not a jeep but our buick car had the same problem... Stealership said it was a computer in the SEAT of all things.

$600 later and no light:rolleyes:

Patrolman
September 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Just because the check engine light doesn't come on, doesn't mean there are no codes. Ask Randy and my dad... With the diesels the lift pump begins to fail, it apparently triggers a code, but doesn't trigger the light. The only way to know there is a code is to put a reader on it. Brilliant, huh?!?

Wouldn't surprise me if the Jeep was the same as they are both Chrysler products.

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
yep they are called companion codes. no check engine but its there.

Jeff being chrysler it might be similar so yeah...

DETN8R
September 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'll have to get my friend to read the codes for me sometime in the next few days to see what the deal is.

porkchop
September 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
check your blinker fluid :D

DETN8R
September 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I've got a gallon of this somewhere:
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6

I'll have to dig it out of the closet.

porkchop
September 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
lol thats awsome i want some of those cross drilled break lines too:lol: