PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse Gulch

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I had heard that this is what happened to Slaughterhouse Gulch and I guess this confirms it. This is from Colorado 4x4.org:

Talk about your pussification of a trail. Downgrade this trail from a 4 to a 2. I'd be willing to be I could get my Compass through this trail now.

There is no challenge any more.

going counterclockwise...

not even going to mention stump hill or the mud pits...

There used to be a nice rocky/ muddy section at the bottom of the long hill down...now by-passed and filled in. the off camber section along the creek has been leveled and filled.
The mogels up the left side of next hill have been filled in, A small rocky section on the uphill side of the mountain was the only challenge left. Still a by-pass aound it as ther has always been but I suspect the area will be "recovered" soon. An area that the trail takes a left 90* turn used to be a small gully, now leveled... The rocky section about 3/4 of the way through has been filled in and leveled out there, (a by-pass had been forming so I assume that is why)... The small rocky/windy/moguly hill climb up to the fence line is by-passed and filled in.

The windy decent downhill through the aspen trees has been straightened, bulldozed and all the ruts filled in.

All-in-all a fun, easy trail turned into a regular old forest road..

Two thumbs down http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/co4x4/thumbsdown.gifhttp://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/co4x4/thumbsdown.gif

From me: Anyone have any idea at all why our tax dollars are spent doing this kind of numbnuts BS? They did the same to Dakan Mountain Road, but there are at east people living along that road. No one live back int he Slaughterhouse area...

Metalhed
September 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
So mall crawlers can get in and enjoy the mountains. I asked the rangers the same question and received a variation of this answer.

The old trail kept people out of the forest and the new trail allows the average joe the opportunity to experience the beauty and supposed excitement of 4 wheeling in his or her rarely used 4x4

Hypoid
September 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
So mall crawlers can get in and enjoy the mountains. I asked the rangers the same question and received a variation of this answer.

The old trail kept people out of the forest and the new trail allows the average joe the opportunity to experience the beauty and supposed excitement of 4 wheeling in his or her rarely used 4x4
Not to mention it's the underbuilt and over-throttled who dig out these "fun" areas anyway. ;)

Chris
September 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
This trail was one the Forest Service talked about closing because of the abuse it took from some people who think nothing of trashing a trail and going off the trail. It looks like they found a way around raising the ire of everyone by closing it by saying they're giving greater access to less able vehicles.