PDA

View Full Version : My poor pretty truck

Metalhed
September 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Last weekend Me and my son went to Jenny Creek
I went in the creek hit a rock and hurt my truck.
Now I am looking for someone with body shop skills

right on the rocker panel, that has 2 curves
Ouch. The wife was MAD
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/metalhedgsw/DSCN0830.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/metalhedgsw/DSCN0831.jpg

DKDunn04
September 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Its going to happen going off road, and you will spend a fortune if you always fix every scrape and dent. If you are always worrying about hurting your paint you will never do any of the fun stuff! You should leave it there, the first one is always the hardest to deal with!

Chris
September 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Add sliders to prevent future damage.

4Runninfun
September 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM

exactly

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Add sliders...

Sean and I can make some sliders for you and Sean is really good at doing body work and I am fair, though you may have to take it elsewhere for the final paint. Looking at the damage, we may also be able to paint it for you, matching the paint as closely as possible. Let us know. Personally, I would fix this as best as possible and spend your next extra $$ on a set of sliders. Your wife will probably condone this as it is a "protective addition" versus a frivolous expense...

PM either of us if you are interested: Brody or 1freaky1

I don't think anyone ever reads all the posts about body damage or sliders...this has been posted a lot! A set of sliders will pay for themselves many times over if they manage to save your doors or sill plates....

I personally don't know anyone who has sliders that hasn't appreciated them, though I do know a lot of people who have wished that they had had them. Roland, Josh, Andrew, Randy are just a few people on this forum that have sustained damage from not having sliders. Many of the trails we do, having rock rails or sliders is almost a prerequisite for not getting damage...

1freaky1
September 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yep after my first dent and scrape in the passenger rocker and door slider I fabbed up a set of sliders for the ranger and have not worried about it since. They have been used a lot from hitting on the bottom to sliding around rocks, a definite must have! Let Brody or me know if we can build you a set.

SubaCool
September 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Our Subaru has acquired a lots of scratches and scrapes on the sides and the bumpers. My wife used to get bothered by them, now she agrees with me - it's just plastic :D I know, in your case it's metal so it's a bit different, but still. Put enough of those on the truck and she won't care (try at your own risk, it might not work like it did for me! :p) :D

Patrolman
September 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
If you add sliders you won't be able to see some of the damage. That is the good news. Plus it is much better $ spent to combat future potential damage. If that is the "worst" you ever get, you will be lucky. ;)

Funrover
September 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Time for sliders..... And now the first damage is done and the rest won't seem so bad hahahaha

white collar redneck dad
September 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Rock sliders....all steel and rhino lined...mine have taken a true beating...all. They need is some black paint to touch em up.

Pathrat
September 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
If you are so inclined, it looks like you could touch this up yourself. I know very little about body work and paint but when I dented and creased my back hatch. I just went to the auto parts place, got some sandpaper and paint, then sanded, painted and sealed the damage. Your truck owwie doesn't look to deep, and if I could do it with no other experience, you could. :)

Mporter
September 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Its going to happen going off road, and you will spend a fortune if you always fix every scrape and dent. If you are always worrying about hurting your paint you will never do any of the fun stuff! You should leave it there, the first one is always the hardest to deal with!

That's what I was thinking.

I went to Maaco to get an estimate to fix some rust and dents on my Fj62 and the whole thing would end up $1600 and im just not sure if i want to spend all that money to fix something i know will eventually get scratched anyways.

Im thinking of just having them fix the rust spots (back left wheel well, and front right wheel well) and possibly spot painting and then just keeping it like that or paying a co-worker to help me paint it.

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
its not a offroad vehicle without a bit o damage.. :) its part of its offroad history!

Medic-5150
September 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
looks like mine....kinda. Don't suppose you have a Dodge as well? The first is definitely the hardest, after that you don't really care too much an hour after the incident

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
yep here is mine on china wall.... first carnage.... now its sanded painted over i dont notice it anymore.

Brody
September 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I remember that! Your rig was the only one heavy enough to actually move that rock!

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM
it was almost half the size of my truck too

Roostercruiser
September 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM
the first is the worst