PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Gap

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Looking for opinions which seem to be quite easy to find here. :D

I'm familiar with the concept of increasing plug gap for a stronger spark but not sure whether or not I buy it. Anyone a believer?

TIA!

:cheers:

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Can't help as I set mine to factory. On all the Yotas I have ever owned, this has worked fine. I played around with that 20-30+ years ago when I was messing with more Ford and Chevy stuff.

Easier to just upgrade the plugs to a better plug and stay with the factory gap would be my suggestion.

WINKY
September 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
increasing plug gap weaken the spark if it is past the mfg's setting and you dont have the coil to push a hot spark across the gap (takes more power to cross the gap the further away it is) if you want more spark get a more powerful ignition coil, that will allow a slightly larger gap and hotter spark.

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yep...forgot that, too. All the engines that I messed with the gap on had a high performance coil like an MSD.

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with the idea that increasing plug gap weakens the spark if it is past the mfg's setting if everything else is at mfg's settings as well. I was recalling a discussion from a while ago that presented some personal experiences that got me wondering.

Yeah, "try it Chris" is an option too. My thought is that it may e fine but would probably result in a poorer idle for sure.

WINKY
September 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
less fuel economy. they key is setting the gap to get the "hottest" spark... bigger sometimes isnt better :D

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Shhh, don't tell that to a Ram owner. :D

WINKY
September 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
i aint gotta worry bout plugs.... :p

1freaky1
September 3rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
I know that with my rig the factory gap is the widest I have ever came across, 50 thousandths before that every other ride was 18-35. Probably why the power and mileage sucks.

WINKY
September 3rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
the heat from the spark is what burns the fuel the best, instead of having the weak spark ignite the fuel inefficiently and the fuel has to pick up the pace to burn itself, get a real hot spark and it will do the burning of the fuel thoroughly so the fuel doesnt have to do the work to burn itself.

all of which happens in the time frame of a gnats fart.... octane has a bit to do with this too...