PDA

View Full Version : Aug 29 - Rollins Pass West

Aaron
August 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hey All,

My wife has been wanting to go up the west side of Rollins pass all summer. We decided to take a trip up there this past Saturday since we had already done Red Cone in the past few weeks.

Most of the trail is basically a bumpy dirt road until you reach the top where you can take the wagon trail road which gets you closer to the needles tunnel which is, of course, closed. That part of the trail is short (a mile-ish) and not very hard.

We ran a couple of the spurs on the way down which weren't hard either. One brings you to the other side of a railroad bridge which will give you some looks from folks on the side of the bridge that most people see.

Pictures and a video to follow.

Aaron
August 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM
more...

Aaron
August 31st, 2009, 11:22 AM
And the video of the wagon trail...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3oEmKPLhdg

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
A lot of great hiking/biking trails along that road. I love that area. The wagon trail you took was it pretty much at the top on the right hand side? That used to be the bypass around needles eye tunnel and was how you got down to the lake below. Really a bummer it's all closed now. Thanks for the pics!

Hypoid
August 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the report. I've been wondering how much rougher the West side was compared to the East. Not everyone can handle the bumpage. :(

Brody
September 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the report and pictures, Aaron! I like the picture looking down on Yankee Doodle as you can easily see the Jenny Creek Trail where it come in from the top of the photo.