PDA

View Full Version : Timing problem?

Speedwagon
August 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
The timing in the truck is set to factory spec(SPOUT disconnected). When I connect everything as it should be, it feels like the truck is pulling timing, and I get some hesitation and low power. If I disconnect the SPOUT connector and drive it around, it seems to make the problem go away. It even feels like it might be driving better with the SPOUT connector off. I also tried disconnecting the knock sensor, and there was no change with or without the SPOUT.

Is this an indication of a problem with the TFI module? I've had the module tested recently, and it passed the tests at the parts store. Could it be bad just the same? Or is there something else here that could be causing this issue?

Dan
August 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
What vehicle and year? Engine??

Judging by the acronyms used, it sounds like a Ford. IF so, make sure you have the right 'spout' connector. Ford used them for various other things also. It should be the one closest to the TFI module. All that does is remove PCM input to the module to adjust timing. When unplugged it should read base timing at around 10 degrees. When plugged back in, the PCM will probably pull it up to around 30 or so.

Speedwagon
August 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
What vehicle and year? Engine??

Judging by the acronyms used, it sounds like a Ford. IF so, make sure you have the right 'spout' connector. Ford used them for various other things also. It should be the one closest to the TFI module. All that does is remove PCM input to the module to adjust timing. When unplugged it should read base timing at around 10 degrees. When plugged back in, the PCM will probably pull it up to around 30 or so.

Correct, a Ford 2.3(distributor), '87 Ranger. When I unplug the connector, my timing goes to 10, and when plugged in, it hits ~30. So I'm fairly confident I have the right connector, though it is on the pass side of the bay, whereas my TFI is on the driver's side(but I can't find any connector on that side).

Dan
August 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
You have the right connector since it is affecting timing like you say. It sounds llike things are fine on the primary side of the ignition system. I would look elsewhere. It is possible that your TFI is bad, but not very likely if its still reliable. Check the stator in the distributer. If it is black its time to replace since it is the original one. Replacements were a different color (at least 15 yrs ago they were... haven't honestly seen one since) Did you check the basics like plugs wires, cap, rotor... You may have a cylinder shorting out under load. You should also check or replace the timing belt. Also check fuel pressure and the fuel filter. A lot of these things check out fine at idle or a no load condition, but when a load is applied, they act up just enough to know something is wrong.

You could also have a dirty MAF or a gummy MAP depending on what you have. Clean the MAF or if you have a MAP sensor check the vacuum line to it. If it is full of snot balls, replace the hose and/or the MAP sensor itself.

Also, did you check for codes? If you're a bit mechanically savvy, you can pull codes on those with a paperclip. That might actually be a good place to start...