PDA

View Full Version : Step 2: New tires

Rob
August 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Went to Discount Tire and got 31x10.50x15 BFG AT/KO's for the 40. I'll pick up the spare next week with a new rim. The one it came with was not just a different tire but also a different size rim. Glad I haven't had a flat and needed a spare.

Also got two compliments on the 40 today, once at Discount Tires and once at Walgreens. I love the FJ Cruiser, but the old school rig is the one that turns heads.

Before:

After: It's also a little shinier now after I hit it with some fine machine polish and removed a few years of grime. And new latches on the hood and a few new bolts inside (holding the hard top on) to replace some that were missing. A new fuel-tank access plate will go on the tub as soon as I get the second screw out. It's frozen tight with rust. PB Blaster hasn't helped yet. Any suggestions?

4Runninfun
August 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
A new fuel-tank access plate will go on the tub as soon as I get the second screw out. It's frozen tight with rust. PB Blaster hasn't helped yet. Any suggestions?

torch and impact driver usually works for me. I still really like your 40 and it's only getting better!

Brody
August 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM
And if what Jon suggested doesn't work, grind the head of the screw off, re drill the hole and simply use larger screws. Screws are generally pretty soft metal, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Looking good, BTW!

1freaky1
August 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
It looks good with the new tires on it, if the above doesn't work let me know I have some screw extractors you can use Rob.

Chris
August 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Looking good Rob!

dr350jja
August 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
that is an awesome looking rig :thunb:

Funrover
August 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Good choice on tires!

Chris
August 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Except they should be 33's ;)

We need another 40 here. Hmmm...

Mporter
September 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Another thing you may wanna try is putting Liquid Wrench on the bolts for about 12-24 hours before you do anything with em to try and loosen em up.

Those are some nice tires, im thinking either those or some Bridgestone Dueler Revo's

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If you look in the for sale section you'll see a nice set of those in 33's for sale Matt. :D

edog
October 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Looks great with the new shoes. I am jealous, I want a 40. :(

Rob
October 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I am jealous, I want a 40.

Doesn't everyone? :thunb: Next is a suspension lift (to be installed by Pete and Sean) and then I should be able to hit the trail. Might not make it out this season, though. :(

We need another 40 here.

A guy at work (he's on the advertising side, so I don't know him that well; it's a separation of church and state thing in the newspaper business), came up to me yesterday and told me he'd just bought a '78 FJ40. He'd been commenting on my rigs in recent weeks.

I haven't seen it yet and he says it needs some work to get it trail-ready, but I'll try to get him hooked up on the forum. I told him it cost 25 Winkies to join.:D