PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the Moab trips in October?

Haku
August 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hey all,

I know Randy decided he couldn't do the expedition trip to Moab, but I know a bunch of us still wanted to get out there in October. Charlie was getting all giddy the other day, and I think I heard him pee himself over the thought of spending a couple days out there. I'm very much in for it, as I love that area for so many different reasons and activities. I know Charlie did say he's not available for the weekend of the 1st due to a obligation he can't get out of, so maybe sometime later in the month?

I think more people showed interest in staying a bit closer to Moab, and doing a bunch of the classic trails nearby. For me, I'd love to the triple threat Poison Spider, Gold Spike and whatever the third one was. Fins n Things was awesome for a night run last time I went, so maybe a repeat of those shenanigans too. I'd love to Hells Revenge again, and maybe try a few more of the "stout" lines and obstacles in there. I also had a ton of fun at Area BFE, and at the least we should go check out the playground at the entrance. This is where the Moab leg of the XRRA Rock Racing competition was held, and has some seriously fun stuff to play around on. Me and the other two Samurai's went there almost every night we were there, and there were rigs all the way from Rocfrogs SPUA with bald tires and a welded rear, all the way to a $200k comp buggy that nearly rolled trying to go up one part in there.

I'd want to spend at least 4 days there, plus a half day for traveling there. I'm fine with driving at night, but I know others may not be. The thought was to do something like leave on a Wednesday afternoon/night, figure out a base camp, and then wheel Thursday through Sunday, and drive back either Sunday night or Monday morning. You can count on at least 6 hours drive time each way to Moab from Denver (took me 8 last time in the Samurai, but I made a big pitstop to sell a kayak to someone). So yeah, lets get this going and see when others could go. It would be awesome to have a big group on this, as these trails cater well to spectating and big groups of people. Plus, its friggin Moab and everyone should want to go and make it happen right?:thunb:

JH

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nice as it sounds, we are out as we are going to go to Margarita Island the following month and this is where every extra dime is going to go..just like last year and the year before...

Seems the Moab trips always compete with the island trips, which isn't much of a contest to me...

Good plan to get this under people's noses again. I know that there were quite a few folks starting to plan around Randy's trip...

Chris
August 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I was among those starting to plan and would like to get back out there. I'm more of a moderate trail guy though.

WINKY
August 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
well i had to cancel due to another financial bomb dropped in my lap that is going to eat away at what money i make and kill much of anything for the rest of the year. but i will never have to worry bout it again once its paid off...:D

Haku
August 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I was among those starting to plan and would like to get back out there. I'm more of a moderate trail guy though.

With the exception of the the Golden Crack, all of the trails are pretty moderate when you take the easier lines. Even Hells Revenge is more pucker factor then actual challenge if you don't do the big and very optional obstacles like Hells Gate and Escalator. Its also the kind of thing where if we get enough people going, there can be seperate day trips with a central meeting place too.

JH

white collar redneck dad
August 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Man I am so excited for a very busy wheelin month in september!! Thank you josh and all for your opinions and conversations of trails that u wish to run.
That being said with september schedule packed..now its time to fill up October with many new trails.

What are your thoughts for the 2nd or 3rd weekend for moab trip?

Let's pack October...
Charlie

Haku
August 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM
We had a stock 80 series on 33's run the Golden Spike trifecta at CM08, Chris you would have no problem. This is the best all around trail(s) I have driven, nothing else is even close.

Let's look at some dates maybe second weekend in October? I can't commit yet, but four days of Moab would be a lifesaver.

Spike and Elephant Hill are musts for any Moab trip, how about a date and some proposed trail runs and let's see what we can do. :thunb:

Second week in October sounds good to me. Here is what I'm thinking, complete with bullet points and everything:p.

- Leave in the early to late afternoon on Wednesday the 7th and find a good place to camp. If someone has the whole day off, they could maybe go earlier and scope out a place before it gets dark.

- Start wheeling in earnest on Thursday. I'd be up for doing something easier like Elephant Hill the first day, and then maybe going and playing at Area BFE afterwards (can you tell I like that place?) afterwards. We could even do a Night Run of Fins n Thing that night if people were up for it. I'm up for packing as much wheeling in as possible, so at least one night run would be awesome.These trails would get us into the mood, and would be a great introduction for the newly initiated Moab wheelers. Top of the World might also be a great "first day" trip.

Elephant Hill - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=65
Fins n Things - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=25
Top of the World - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=129

- Then maybe the Golden Spike trio on Friday? Should be an all day affair and I'm sure people will be worn out enough to just go have fun at camp.

Golden Spike - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=28
Gold Bar Rim - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=27
Poison Spider - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=27

- Saturday I'd be up for whatever. Would be fun to maybe do one or several of the full runs at Area BFE, for something apart from the Moab norm of Slick Rock and sandstone. Green Day is a fun trail, with some stout obstacles that all have bypasses. Minor Threat or Strike Revine sound like something everyone can do. Might also be fun to do Helldorado for the more sadistic.

Official Area BFE website - http://www.areabfe.com/trails.php
Green Day - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=143
Minor Threat - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=142
Strike Revine - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=130
Helldorado - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=186

- I think Hells Revenge is a great way to close out the weekend, so that would be a great one for Sunday. Its pretty much the classic Moab run, and criss crosses the Slick Rock bike trail. Steep Hills and some very serious but very optional big obstacles, and just a really great time with some awesome views. If you really want to get an ultra full day of wheeling in, I know a bunch of the Jeep Tours places do a Hells and Moab Rim double header. Moab rim goes up around the edge of Moab, and features a bunch of ledge obstacles that everyone should be able to handle just fine.

Hells Revenge - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=26
Moab Rim - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=68

There are also some other fun stuff to do, like check out Arches National Park, go play in the river (I'd love to get a camp site next to it if possible), and lots more too. Definitely want to mostly do wheeling stuff, but if people need a break partway through then thats cool too. You can either drive back Sunday night after wheeling, or maybe first thing Monday morning. We can make a very early start on Sunday, to guarantee an earliesh ending to the day so the drive back isn't horrible too. I usually stop at my moms place in Edwards, CO to say hi and spend a night or two, so its not usually a horrible drive for me.

How does that kind of trip sound to people?

JH

Telly
August 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Moab Rim is one of my favorites. The first mile has a couple seat pinching obstacles but overall very doable with ground clearance and at least one locker. There is also a sand hill obstacle towards the end of the trail that is a blast. Scenery is top notch.

I've got Moab penciled in the first weekend in October. Might try to do the Golden Spike route with Nay. I've done the Rusty Nail route to the Crack and that was by far the toughest trail I have ever done...even tougher than Pritchard.

Nay, is that trip out? I'll check your thread.

Doug

Haku
August 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Moab Rim is one of my favorites. The first mile has a couple seat pinching obstacles but overall very doable with ground clearance and at least one locker. There is also a sand hill obstacle towards the end of the trail that is a blast. Scenery is top notch.

I've got Moab penciled in the first weekend in October. Might try to do the Golden Spike route with Nay. I've done the Rusty Nail route to the Crack and that was by far the toughest trail I have ever done...even tougher than Pritchard.

Nay, is that trip out? I'll check your thread.

Doug

When I talked to him the other day at the "Axle Clinic", he seemed interested in coming on the trip I explained above. Could you make it that weekend by chance? All I know is that I want to go wheeling in Moab in October sometime, and would love to be a part of a decent sized group doing it. I'd even be willing to go a bit later in the month, as it would be one of the better Birthdays I have had.

How do people feel about the schedule I posted above? To intense, too much wheeling, not enough wheeling?

JH

white collar redneck dad
August 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
When I talked to him the other day at the "Axle Clinic", he seemed interested in coming on the trip I explained above. Could you make it that weekend by chance? All I know is that I want to go wheeling in Moab in October sometime, and would love to be a part of a decent sized group doing it. I'd even be willing to go a bit later in the month, as it would be one of the better Birthdays I have had.

How do people feel about the schedule I posted above? To intense, too much wheeling, not enough wheeling?

JH

Great job josh!! I think with over 200 rigs that we should pack the calendar all the way to a end of year
Christmas white elephant gift party on first week of december. This gives many folks that we have never
Met plenty of time to plan. Your thoughts? ]

Telly
August 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM
At this point, I have am committed to the first weekend in October. There are four other families scheduled to go that weekend for hiking and mountain biking (no wheeling). We plan to camp across from the Slick Rock Trailhead.

Haku
August 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Well, in that case, how does the plan I indicated in post #8 (click link below to see it in individual view.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54597&postcount=8

Its very wheeling intensive, but will be an awesome time, and doable by most if not all the rigs on this club. Does that weekend work for people?

JH

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 02:09 PM
How about Fins & Things, Elephant Hill & Hell's Revenge?

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 02:21 PM
What about it exactly? One each day or something? I definitely would love to do all of those. Would be cool to do a few more trips, as Fins n Things is an easy half day trip.

JH

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Just trying to help nail things down so we can stop being so wishy-washy and saying "I want to go but..."

I'd say one day each with options for more depending on time & energy.

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Chris,

Sounds good to me. How about this. Elephant Hill on day one, and top of the world if people want to do more wheeling that day. We could also do a Night Run of Fins n Things instead too. Then, day two do the Golden Three (or just two of the three if you don't want to push and do all three). Day three we could do Fins n Things (if we don't do it as a night run) and Moab Rim (or something else if other people don't want to go on that) and then the Last day we could do Hells Revenge. Thats a full trip, but keeping to slightly shorter days. As I've said before, would be fun to go up to Area BFE test area and play for an hour or two at some point too. How's that kind of thing work for people?

JH

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I doubt we could do both Elephant Hill & Top of the World in a day. EH is a ful day in itself since there's an hour just getting there.

Remind me what the Golden Three are, I don't think I've done any of them. Three in a day may be too much for me.

I think you convinced me Hells Revenge is not as hard as I'm led to believe so that sounds good.

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I doubt we could do both Elephant Hill & Top of the World in a day. EH is a ful day in itself since there's an hour just getting there.

Remind me what the Golden Three are, I don't think I've done any of them. Three in a day may be too much for me.

I think you convinced me Hells Revenge is not as hard as I'm led to believe so that sounds good.

Chris,

THe Golden three are Poison Spider, Gold Spike, and Gold Rim. They routinely run in one day, as far as I know. I haven't run any of them, but thats what I hear. From the sounds of it, the only major obstacle on them that scares people is the Golden Crack, and I'm told stock jeeps and such have no problems with it as long as you get spotted through it.

JH

p.s. Still coming over to help drop the tranny?

Trailrat99XJ
August 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
You can run all three in a day. It's better to have someone lead who's done them before. Easy to lose your way! There are some sections that are very technical. Good spotters will be important!

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
You can run all three in a day. It's better to have someone lead who's done them before. Easy to lose your way! There are some sections that are very technical. Good spotters will be important!

Guess that means you have to come along then huh? Good to know though.

JH

Trailrat99XJ
August 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM
If the timing is right I'll go! Can't make it this weekend?

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
The second week of October? Plenty of time to plan for it. ;)

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
If the timing is right I'll go! Can't make it this weekend?

Sorry, one day of wheeling with two days of driving is a bit much for me. Plus, I already said I would help with the cleanup run too. If you were going for a bit longer I would probably come along though.

JH

Haku
August 31st, 2009, 11:00 PM
So, how about this.....

First Day the Golden Spike trio.

Second Day, Fins n Things and Porcupine Rim, and possibly a night run of some sort.

Third Day, Elephant Hill

Fourth Day, Hells Revenge and the trip home.

Seem reasonable to people? Just trying to tack down what people want to do. I'm always up for more wheeling then less, but thats not the case with most other people. I'd also be willing to do one day of something harder then any of this stuff, but only with some buddies. If we can kind of get an idea of something that will work for everyone, I'll post it up on the calendar and make it official.

JH

Chris
September 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
That looks good to me Josh. :thunb:

Air Randy
September 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
FYI I am planning on hitting Moab Sept 26 thru Sept 30, some of the crew is planning to stay through Oct 3rd. There were only 4 or 5 rigs signed up if others want to come along. Go to Risingsun4x4club.org and check the trip planning section for details.

4Runner3Wheeler
September 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hey Chris!

Your rig is looking awesome. Long time no see. I look forward to comparing paint jobs next time we meet-hopefully in Moab.

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
You should plan on it Andy, we're beginning to think you're a phantom member! Moab needs to be done a couple times a year and you have enough time to plan for this one. While I'm at it you should also convince any FJ60 owner you may happen to work with that he needs to surface too.

:thunb:

4Runner3Wheeler
September 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I may be able to hit the second week in October. I can't say until the date approaches.

I've been talking to some folks about a Moab run that may include climbing too. We've also discussed doing a trail requiring a permit like Lavender Canyon or White Rim to do more of an exedition run. Eitherway, I like josh's schedule and me wheeling with the group for the first day or two. I've been wanting to hit golden spike and poison spider for a while. Fins at night sounds pretty epic, especially on a moon filled eve.

Post it up and I'll commit closer to the date.

My experience driving to Moab: plan on 6 hours to get through Moab to camp.

Hope this helps!
AB

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Post it up and I'll commit closer to the date.

It is posted: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 :thunb: