PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 impulse buy

Rob
July 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
So the other day Brody gave me a heads-up on an FJ40 at a used-car lot on Federal Boulevard (he knew I used to have a 40 and wanted another one at some point). That sent me to craigslist, where I found a few other 40's for sale in Colorado. Friday night after work I checked out a 1970 rig that had never seen any kind of mod at all. It ran fine but had some rust issues and it was still three on the tree and had no power steering.

Today I went to Aurora to check out a 1982 FJ40 that looked good in the craigslist pics. A little rust on the rear sill and tub and a raggedy driver's seat, but mostly in good shape. It ran well on the test drive; four-wheel drive worked fine; no major leaks that I could see.

So I bought it. I need to get it licensed and insured and checked out at All Phase before I take it off road, and it needs a lift and better tires and little :wrench:ing, but all in all it's probably good for moderate trails.

By the way, Pete, :princess: says since you got me started on the FJ40 hunt I can take my toys (Toys?) and come live with you and LaDawn. I'll see you in the morning. :D

Pathrat
July 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
It looks great! Nice buy!!!

Funrover
July 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
That is sharp! For it;s age and such even with rust it appears to be in great shape

Chris
July 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Congratulations Rob! Looks like a good one! :thunb:

Roostercruiser
July 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
sweet

Roo
July 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Sweet! Congrats Rob, can't wait to check it out in person. I will be up in Longmont to do a windshield repair on Monday morning, if you are gonna be around give me a call maybe I could check it out.

4Runninfun
July 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
looks great! my :princess: really wants one. dont' tell her where you live! :lol:

Rob
July 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Sweet! Congrats Rob, can't wait to check it out in person. I will be up in Longmont to do a windshield repair on Monday morning, if you are gonna be around give me a call maybe I could check it out.

I'll be working Monday, Reese, but I'm usually home from about noon to 12:45. Call me and stop by if you're still in the area then. 303-641-6120

looks great! my :princess: really wants one. dont' tell her where you live! :lol:

Thanks for the warning. I just went out and took the wheels off it for the night. :eek:

The guy I bought if from has two more 40's he might be willing to part with. Neither has been restored, but both are in amazing condition. They're so nice you'd hate to take them off-road.

Brody
July 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
That looks sweet!

LaDawn says that, whereas we do have the room in our almost finished basement, you would have to finish the basement bathroom and we can talk about a monthly rental price....:D

Roo
July 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'll be working Monday, Reese, but I'm usually home from about noon to 12:45. Call me and stop by if you're still in the area then.

My appt is around 9. Fellow FJ'er and previous customer. I will call you if I happen to still be around about noon.

Chris
July 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
It ran fine but had some rust issues and it was still three on the tree and had no power steering.

Am I right in assuming you plan to keep it pretty much stock.

Rob
July 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
That looks sweet!

LaDawn says that, whereas we do have the room in our almost finished basement, you would have to finish the basement bathroom and we can talk about a monthly rental price....:D

I'm strapping on my tool belt right now. :)

By the way, a big thanks to Jock for spending Saturday afternoon driving my FJ Cruiser to Longmont while I drive the 40. Without his help, it'd still be sitting in Aurora. :thunb:

Rob
July 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Pretty much. A small lift probably and 31x10.5 or 31x9.5 tires. Maybe a winch at some point. You know how mods go, though.

Rob
July 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM

BTW, that's the one I didn't buy. This one has four on the floor, power steering and disc brakes on the front.

Chris
July 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Oh, that's a whole different story then. What are the details on yours? I think I'm confused. :smokin:

Rob
July 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Oh, that's a whole different story then. What are the details on yours? I think I'm confused. :smokin:

Left a few brain cells back in the '60s, did we? :lol:

I bought the '82: four on the floor, power steering, a radio that works (remember spinning the dial to find a station and then listenting to bursts of static? it's like that), adjustable (but pretty chewed up) driver's seat. Dang. I think that's about it. The first thing it needs is new shocks. I swear the rusted out shocks on it are the originals.

Brody
July 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on the EMU shocks, but would find a comparable shock for cheaper, like the Ranchos or Pro Comps. You also need to decide before doing this if you are going to want to do a SOA.

Source a nice CD player at pawn shops. You can usually pick up a nice CD/AM/FM combo there for around $30 with the multi CD units going for about twice that much. All you would need to do is to find the correct adapter for the wiring.

Nice that this has the PS and 4 speed!

Chris
July 27th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Left a few brain cells back in the '60s, did we? :lol:

Yes, I suspect we did. :smokin:

I bought the '82: four on the floor, power steering, a radio that works (remember spinning the dial to find a station and then listenting to bursts of static? it's like that), adjustable (but pretty chewed up) driver's seat. Dang. I think that's about it. The first thing it needs is new shocks. I swear the rusted out shocks on it are the originals.

Like Brody said on the radio but you might want to find a Scion radio, not sure of the 40 setup at all but they're plug & play in the 60's. So when do we see this truck on the trail?

4Runninfun
July 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on the EMU shocks, but would find a comparable shock for cheaper, like the Ranchos or Pro Comps. You also need to decide before doing this if you are going to want to do a SOA.

Source a nice CD player at pawn shops. You can usually pick up a nice CD/AM/FM combo there for around $30 with the multi CD units going for about twice that much. All you would need to do is to find the correct adapter for the wiring.

Nice that this has the PS and 4 speed!

pretty much what brody said. although i would stay away from rancho shocks. When i had the 5000's on my 4runner they made for a very harsh ride.

Rob
July 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Probably won't do an SOA any time soon. 31x10.5 tires on stock 15-inch rims are supposed to fit an unlifted 40. But it really needs new shocks now.

Like Brody said on the radio but you might want to find a Scion radio, not sure of the 40 setup at all but they're plug & play in the 60's. So when do we see this truck on the trail?

I'm kinda liking the old-school radio. If I can just find an oldies station. :brody: I might be able to get it on the trail this year, but nothing difficult. I don't know if :princess: will let me get new tires until she's working again. Even the shocks might be pushing it. I'll probably try it out on Johnny Park or Pierson Park to see what it can do (Red Elephant is right out, though, for now. :eek:)

pretty much what brody said. although i would stay away from rancho shocks. When i had the 5000's on my 4runner they made for a very harsh ride.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm really just looking for cheap shocks for now. Anything's better than what's on there now. :fr4x4:

RockyMtnHigh
July 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
By the way, Pete, :princess: says since you got me started on the FJ40 hunt I can take my toys (Toys?) and come live with you and LaDawn. I'll see you in the morning. :D

Something tells me due to the silence and evil eye you got when we pulled up more than that was said when you got home from dropping me off! :lol:

You can tell me all about it when we're sitting around the campfire this weekend.:thunb:

Swath
July 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Very nice, one of my favorite old timers. Classic look and a very capable wheeler.:thunb:

Andrew
July 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Nice. I love those old FJ's

Brody
July 31st, 2009, 05:29 AM
Suggestion for the seats:

I went to the Pull and Save/U Pull It on 62nd and Pecos and they sell non heated/electric/leather bucket seats for $22 each. I got a pair from a Rodeo in my heap now. Course with the 40, you might want to spring for the extra bones for a heated set....

Source the tires from craigslist or the various forums. Everyone sells good tires under 35" tall as most people are going up from the 32s and 33s. Should be able to get a good set, maybe with rims, for around $250-300 if you aren't too picky on brand.

Chris
July 31st, 2009, 08:03 AM
When you look for tires talk to me Rob. I have a set of virtually new BFG A/T's 33x12.5x15 on Toyota wheels I might sell. I figured I'd hold on to them for emissions and such but maybe not. I have no idea what they might be worth.

isotel
July 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Always nice to see another 40 around! Congrats!, thats a nice one!

Whats Hiding under the Tread Plate? 31's and a locker would be a nice start, but Its hard to stop there. Every time i get into my 40 it puts a smile on my face :D

And Rip that top off ASAP! It took me 2 years before i took mine off, and i Regret it, It never goes back on now!

Rob
August 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Always nice to see another 40 around! Congrats!, thats a nice one!

Whats Hiding under the Tread Plate? 31's and a locker would be a nice start, but Its hard to stop there. Every time i get into my 40 it puts a smile on my face :D

And Rip that top off ASAP! It took me 2 years before i took mine off, and i Regret it, It never goes back on now!

Missed this last post. Thanks.

Haven't checked under the plates yet. I'm hoping the PO just put 'em there for decoration. Lift and 31s first (unless I can get Chris' 33s to fit). Locker down the line.

I definitely want to got topless, after owning a '75 40 back in the '80s that was a soft top. Didn't even keep that on very much. Unfortunately, I have to deal with some rust in the back first and I don't have garage space for it right now.