PDA

View Full Version : Brody's New Hood Scoop

Brody
June 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Well, the ABS plastic hood scoop that I got from Summit has done pretty well for about 5-6 years, but the corners were cracking a bit. There was also an issue where it is actually too close to the top of the supercharger and the heat was causing the paint to come off.

I had originally planned to build my own using the old scoop as a template, but my fiberglass skills are kind of pathetic. When I was at the small engine repair place the other day, the one that went out of business, getting more bags for the clean up, I saw what is going to be the solution. I don't know what it started out as, but it looks like the fiberglass top to a riding lawnmower.

So this morning I stuck it on the hood to see how close it is. I then took some measurements and cut it down to what I wanted. It will work and now the only thing I have left to do is to cut the old scoop out and graft the new one in. It will sit up about an 1" higher, clearing everything just fine. It also has some way groovy vents already in it.

When I am done, it will look like it is supposed to be there...Here are the start pictures:

Whitey Jr
June 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
looks good brody you can always see what works out of just about anything cant wait to see it finished

RidgeRunner
June 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Man, ya had me worried there for a sec. I read the title then scrolled down to the pics. Saw that first one and thought "You gotta be kiddin me!" Guess I should read the post first.

Looks like it will work well, you get an "A" for creativity!

WINKY
June 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
i thought that was a lid to a cat litter box.... "what are you smoking pete"???? LMAO

Brody
June 30th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I threw the first picture in for a laugh cause it looked so funny. Actually, maybe I can use that for when I put the 6-71 blown fuelly engine in it...

Funny what you can come up with to fix stuff with no spare $$....

RockyMtnHigh
June 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3937&stc=1&d=1246298118

Reminds me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/S58T-Bicy_Complex_Fire.jpeg/800px-S58T-

Brody
July 1st, 2009, 04:39 AM
That's funny...

It is actually going to fit pretty well, which is good as I didn't want to throw a lot of time and money to fix a small problem.

Brody
July 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Here are the pictures of the near final product. I gained the 1" clearance that I needed over the supercharger, a problem that has bothered me for awhile and some cool vents on top.

I had to graft the lawnmower piece to the existing scoop as the new scoop was a little too narrow. I did this by cutting out the center section of the old scoop and splitting the sides. I then slid the new scoop into this, wrapping the old sides over the top. I then glued it into place and using a combination of Bondo and fiberglass, molding it into the hood.

The piece that I used for my new scoop grill was a part of an after market grill that I snagged off something in the junkyard for nothing. I hammered it flat, cut it to fit, bent it so that I could rivet it in and left it chrome (for now).

The only thing I have left to do is to paint it with Dura Bac to match the rest of the hood.

All in all, not bad for a free hood scoop, especially a heavy fiberglass one..

Funrover
July 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Came out looking pretty good there Pete!

WINKY
July 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
damn pete that looks real good!

Chris
July 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
and left it chrome (for now).

:D Brody's got chrome! :lol:

Chris
July 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Looks good Pete!

Brody
July 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks...gotta say that I am pretty pleased with myself on that bit of scrounging...There can't be that many functioning Yotas around with lawnmower parts on them....

And now I have two door handles and one hood scoop that I can spend time on polishing! I already swapped out my chrome lug nuts for the plain jane stock ones...

Roo
July 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
That looks great! I would almost bet money that came off a Cub Cadet just like the one my grandfather used to have. Anyway, looks great and I give you a 10/10 for creativity.

1freaky1
July 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Looks good Pete, sorry I didn't get to see it yesterday when you came by the house.