PDA

View Full Version : Breakneck/Weston/Mosquito Pass

sirius815
June 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Me and the missus were discussing the possibility of a rather long trip (long since we're coming from Colorado Springs).

We were thinking August 1st meet up in Fairplay around 9 - don't know exactly where yet.

Leave at 9:30 sharp to start up Breakneck and Weston with lunch in Leadville (around noon by the time we get there) either in a restaurant or picnic (we were planning on bringing a bite to eat since it would be easier with the kids).

From there finish off the day with Mosquito pass and then head back home.

Any interest, let me know.

Edit: With the trip being rather long - please make sure your vehicle is in good running condition. Making decent time is on the list of priorities (for us at least - since we're coming from the Springs)

Trail Infos:
Here's some trail info:
Breakneck Pass (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=275)
Weston Pass (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=110)
Mosquito Pass (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=41)

Funrover
June 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
That would be a fun day!

sirius815
June 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Yeppers! A very full day though. Should be fun!

4Runninfun
June 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM
last year a buddy and i did a similar day. Left the springs at about 9 went and did wheeler. Decided we weren't done yet so then we did mosquito. Came down decided still not done yet went over weston. and then once we got to woodland park we decided to take mt herman back up and over. It was a LONG DAY, but one of the best days i've ever had wheeling. you should have a great time.

sirius815
June 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM
last year a buddy and i did a similar day. Left the springs at about 9 went and did wheeler. Decided we weren't done yet so then we did mosquito. Came down decided still not done yet went over weston. and then once we got to woodland park we decided to take mt herman back up and over. It was a LONG DAY, but one of the best days i've ever had wheeling. you should have a great time.
That is a long long day! Jeez. At least I'm planning on already starting on the trails at 930 ish - that means leaving the Springs around 7, maybe a tad earlier. But I works out a lot better with the kids and all. My son and daughter are always up my 6 or so (don't know why) and so 7 am leaving the Springs for us is reasonable.

So who's with me? I'll post it on the Calender hopefully tomorrow and will have come up with a meeting place probably in Fairplay as posted earlier - so those not in the Springs can join in also.

4Runninfun
June 27th, 2009, 03:03 AM
yeah btw we didn't get home until 11pm :D

sirius815
June 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
yeah btw we didn't get home until 11pm :D
11pm is a little late. If all goes well, lunch will be around 1230ish +/- 30 minutes. Then we should be done with mosquito maybe 2 1/2 hours after that. Add two hours for the return trip and we should be home no later than 6pm.

That's everything running very smoothly. That's the reason why I asked for people that do go to have their rigs in good running condition. In total - if you're coming from the springs - it'll be around 300 miles round trip, reaching a max elevation around 13000 feet.

Here's the google maps "trip" (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=fort+carson,+co&daddr=fairplay,+co+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road +to:leadville,+co+to:County+Rd-3C+to:fairplay,+co+to:fort+carson,+co&hl=en&geocode=;;Fe6WVQIdviet-Q;FWY7VQIdx2et-Q;;FTb9VgIdaiir-Q;;&mra=ls&via=2,3,5&vps=14&jsv=164e&sll=39.274258,-106.149902&sspn=0.309362,0.617294&num=10). It's as close as I could get it - Google maps won't connect Browns Pass just north of Weston with Breakneck. But the rest should be a-okay.

What do you guys think?

Aaron
June 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'll be in Hawaii :^}

sirius815
June 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'll be in Hawaii :^}
I hate you!:p

dr350jja
June 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I've done that route several times. It may be better to do Mosquito Pass first thing, because weather is USUALLY BETTER in the AM. Mosquito Pass in wet weather (ie: afternoon storms) may not be so much fun?? Weston Pass is MUCH easier in the rain/sleet than Mosquito. IMHO

sirius815
June 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
What is the usual way to run the passes? From Fairplay to Leadville, or vice versa?

Thank you for the advice!:thunb: If the weather outlook is cruddy for the entire day, we probably will not go since it would be a complete waste for such a long trip.

dr350jja
June 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What is the usual way to run the passes? From Fairplay to Leadville, or vice versa?

Sometimes it's beautiful blue skies at the bottom and sleeting at the top of the pass. Other times it's just a 60MPH wind at the top. Guess it's just a crap shoot. lol

I usually run Mosquito Pass from Fairplay to Leadville, but I think it may be a bit easier in the other direction. Seems to me that the Fairplay side is tougher. :2c:

sirius815
June 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Sometimes it's beautiful blue skies at the bottom and sleeting at the top of the pass. Other times it's just a 60MPH wind at the top. Guess it's just a crap shoot. lol

I usually run Mosquito Pass from Fairplay to Leadville, but I think it may be a bit easier in the other direction. Seems to me that the Fairplay side is tougher. :2c:
Yeah it'll be one of those things we'll just have to see when we get there.

Thanks for the 2 cents - I'll give 'em back once I make some interest off of them.

white collar redneck dad
June 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Up for night wheelin on Mosquito or Red Cone?:thunb:

sirius815
June 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Up for night wheelin on Mosquito or Red Cone?:thunb:
Me? No, can't do. My kids are 4 and 1 so no night runs for me. I'm bringing the entire family to Weston and Co - hence the early meet time and timely departure again from Fairplay (hopefully around 4pm). However - everyone else I'm sure can have some good night runs with some of the other local trails. Or of course they (those wishing to do a run that night) could always meet us in Leadville - finish the day out with us and then continue on their planned trails that night.

Lots and lots of possibilities. But as stated we (the family) are doing Breakneck and Weston in the morn and Mosquito in the afternoon so we can be home in time for dinner. I hope that doesn't discourage any one from coming along. I'm not sure how many people here go wheeling with their families.

Best Regards,
Ben K.

Chris
June 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
There are quite a few that take their kids wheeling so you're not alone in that respect. I'm trying to get a handle on the next few weeks right now and may or may not go on this run. I'd like to run Mosquito simply because I haven't yet. ;)

sirius815
June 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I hope to see more kids along the trails - it'd be great for my son. Hope you get to make it, Chris.

Chris
June 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Did you see the Barbour Forks cleanup thread? Here's some of the people on that last Saturday. ;)

sirius815
June 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
That's great to see!:thunb: I'm glad that kids are being subjected to such a great thing - cleaning up the environment is a great thing. Sorry I couldn't make it. Next time, we'll see.

Hope that plenty of people can make it out on the 1st. I know there are lots of other things going on - In any case - I hope everyone has a great time doing what they love!

white collar redneck dad
June 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Me? No, can't do. My kids are 4 and 1 so no night runs for me. I'm bringing the entire family to Weston and Co - hence the early meet time and timely departure again from Fairplay (hopefully around 4pm). However - everyone else I'm sure can have some good night runs with some of the other local trails. Or of course they (those wishing to do a run that night) could always meet us in Leadville - finish the day out with us and then continue on their planned trails that night.

Lots and lots of possibilities. But as stated we (the family) are doing Breakneck and Weston in the morn and Mosquito in the afternoon so we can be home in time for dinner. I hope that doesn't discourage any one from coming along. I'm not sure how many people here go wheeling with their families.

Best Regards,
Ben K.

My two kids 9 and 5 love to go wheelin!!! Im open for weston and leadville...lets set a date.. Be careful of doing high mountain passes over 10,000 feet in mid to late afternoon as thunderstorms with lightning and large hail are very very possible. Just my :2c:. Charlie

sirius815
July 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
We'll have to see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up though. I'm hoping for the best.