PDA

View Full Version : XJ Envy

Brody
June 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
When Dave and I were waiting at the Starbucks, we met the owner of this very sweet XJ. It was super clean, had 3/16" armor on both front and back panels and one of the swetest interior roll cages either of us had ever seen.

Aaron
June 15th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Nice. That cage is bolt in?

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Nice rig!

Brody
June 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Nice. That cage is bolt in?

Yep...custom bolt in with reinforcing plates on both sides..Like I said, this was the best bolt in cage that Dave or I had ever seen. Super clean, very detail oriented, etc. Who ever did this had done many cages and had them totally dialed in.

I was especially interested in the way that he did the cross brace over the dash because I was trying to figure out how to do a chicken bar ( for when I am riding passenger and LaDawn is driving...sorry, Honey...). He ran 3/8" flat stock that followed the contour of the dash sides and bolted it to a plate on the floor that was reinforced with another plate under the rig. Very clean and very tight. The cross piece was then bolted to this with tube clamps.

Whoever made that cage is very good....

Speaking of which...How do I get my level back down below 100? Now I am totally spooked about the next run that LaDawn drives and I am the passenger...Is this a one time flop, or do I need to be concerned every time she drives with my level hovering around 100 points. And, the big question...WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME THIS WAS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN??

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Yep...custom bolt in with reinforcing plates on both sides..Like I said, this was the best bolt in cage that Dave or I had ever seen. Super clean, very detail oriented, etc. Who ever did this had done many cages and had them totally dialed in.

I was especially interested in the way that he did the cross brace over the dash because I was trying to figure out how to do a chicken bar ( for when I am riding passenger and LaDawn is driving...sorry, Honey...). He ran 3/8" flat stock that followed the contour of the dash sides and bolted it to a plate on the floor that was reinforced with another plate under the rig. Very clean and very tight. The cross piece was then bolted to this with tube clamps.

Speaking of which...How do I get my level back down below 100? Now I am totally spooked about the next run that LaDawn drives and I am the passenger...Is this a one time flop, or do I need to be concerned every time she drives with my level hovering around 100 points. And, the big question...WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME THIS WAS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN??

Don't forget about the Ladies run... :erm:

Brody
June 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Don't forget about the Ladies run... :erm:

I mentioned that in the Wheeler report...that would have been really bad..like I said, she is a good driver, just needs a little more experience (which she seems to be getting at my expense). I won't be putting that bar in for her...and she doesn't help with the fixing of the heap, either:eek:

I just wonder why it is so much more exciting when she is driving...but, then again, this is a lady who swims with sharks and thinks that it's fun...

Come to think of it, she used to be concerned about me when I bleed...now it is "Are you bleeding anywhere? It is a real PITA to get the blood out of the sheets." Ahhhhhhh...I guess the romance is gone...

Funrover
June 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Come to think of it, she used to be concerned about me when I bleed...now it is "Are you bleeding anywhere? It is a real PITA to get the blood out of the sheets." Ahhhhhhh...I guess the romance is gone...

Why does this worry me .. LOL

4runner freak
June 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Sorry, Pete.
The honeymoon is over! :brody::princess: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/4runnerFreak/Misc%20Pics%20Links/old3.jpg

JeepersCreepers
June 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Since LaDawn is the one driving does your level 100 factor into the rollover? Just a thought, ya might be ok there Pete :lol:, maybe, possibly, hopefully, cross yer fingers really tight and hope there's no :eek:

porkchop
June 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
nice cage wish i had a cage. but whats all this talk about a level being at 100 points? i probably sound like an idiot but im a rookie so bear with me its better i ask then just not know

Chris
June 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
It about the box on the right above your post that shows everyone's activity on the site.

Brody hit the top with level 100, here's what his looks like.

porkchop
June 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
how do i earn more points

Chris
June 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
It's not something to really concern yourself with but the point are based on posts, replies, images uploaded, profile completion, being thanked and giving thanks, photo albums, etc. Basically everything you do on the site provides points in some degree.

itsjustdan23
June 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
That looks freakin clean indeed. Kinda neat for sure!

Brody
June 17th, 2009, 06:09 AM
but whats all this talk about a level being at 100 points? i probably sound like an idiot but im a rookie so bear with me its better i ask then just not know

You don't sound like an idiot and many people, including myself, have asked them same question...and are you sure you want to get to 100 points? Your SO will flop your rig for sure....

As to a cage, after the first rig I rolled and was lucky enough to walk away from as it was an endo and I had a little hole left to crawl out of, all of my other rigs have had a roll cage in them. They save lives...even the cheapest POS on the market will take one good hit and save your life...but they will be trash afterwards. Better to spend the extra $$ and get a good cage to begin with, especially if you plan on keeping the rig for awhile and especially if you have family in the car. Another important thing to keep in mind is to gusset the cage in such a manner so that if you do roll it, the cage doesn't rack out of square. I did this to the one on my heap and, although it took a very hard hit in the front of the cage, it simply dented the steel and didn't rack at all. There exactly the same space between the cage and the body that I started out with.

Since you have an XJ, there are many cages on the market for your rig, both interior and exterior cages. Check out Rusty's Off Road for a start.

porkchop
June 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
ya my xj would have a cage if i built it but bought it like it is cause i was gonna get new axels for my last one but then i saw this one and figured i could spend a little more and have alot more stuff so i parted out the old one and now i have a new one and i ment to put a cage on this winter but i ran into problems with this one now my budgets getting a little slim and right now my jeep sounds like a mad house cause my catilytic converter started t rattle at moody hill then it blew some chunks out and it doesnt have a muffeler so ya its preety loud but i have a question about cages why is it that no one really does an exo cage on an xj

1freaky1
June 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
but i have a question about cages why is it that no one really does an exo cage on an xj

There a some out there do a search on google for xjs someone sent Brody pics of one here not too long ago that looked decent and needed a few upgrades to make it even safer but was a decent looking rig. I am doing one right now on my ranger there are pics posted of the start of it you can look at here; http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4773&page=3 . It is coming along as I can afford the piping.

Brody
June 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
why is it that no one really does an exo cage on an xj

By that, I am assuming you are asking why doesn't someone make and sell an exo cage kit, right?

If you look around, you will find that no one sells exo cage 'kits' for anything, no matter what make. There are a couple of people who make a full tube buggy style kit that welds to the existing stock frame. I know of companies that do this for Yota and Chevy.

There are simply too many variables as to what you attach them to: different bumper/bumper styles, different rock rails, etc, etc,. To my knowledge, all the exo cages that you see anywhere on anything are all custom one off cages. I know that mine is and that Seans is going to be, too. I also know that everyone I know who has one has either custom made theirs or had it done for them.

Oh...BTW, they ain't cheap to do by any means. There is upwards of $600 just in the price of steel alone in just the cage. This has nothing to do with the price of all the labor involved in the bending and welding, not does it account for the custom bumpers and rock rails to mount the exo cage to..An exo cage is probably going to start around $1800...

I know quite a few folks that have exo cages on their XJs BTW...

4runner freak
June 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Pete, I think you missed the new smiley I made for you.http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/4runnerFreak/Misc%20Pics%20Links/old3.jpg[/QUOTE]

Brody
June 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Pete, I think you missed the new smiley I made for you.http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/4runnerFreak/Misc%20Pics%20Links/old3.jpg[/QUOTE]

Haven't you ever been ignored before?:D

The303Hooligan
June 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
When Dave and I were waiting at the Starbucks, we met the owner of this very sweet XJ. It was super clean, had 3/16" armor on both front and back panels and one of the swetest interior roll cages either of us had ever seen.

i believe that cage is by Rockhard ..and they are nice for sure!..built very well and doesnt take away from any of your sight while in drivers seat ..They had their rig at HCP4x4 open house.

RidgeRunner
June 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
i believe that cage is by Rockhard ..and they are nice for sure!..built very well and doesnt take away from any of your sight while in drivers seat ..They had their rig at HCP4x4 open house.

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-96.html

Pretty nice cage, now if I could just talk my wife into $999.95. :rolleyes:

porkchop
June 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
if you can do some good strong welds here's a cheaper option http://www.swracecars.com/store/view-item-search.aspx?Search=jeep%20cherokee

Brody
June 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Thanks...that was the name of the outfit. I just couldn't remember it!

Here is their link:

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/

also added this to the Jeep section..