PDA

View Full Version : Hi, and the like

Speedwagon
June 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Had no idea about this forum until I read a post that GM4x4Lover posted in response to my post, over on CO4x4. Glad to see another forum besides that one for the area.

Currently have an '87 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3, but I've been considering looking for a Land Cruiser to wheel instead. Don't know for sure yet. And this will be my second summer in Colorado, and still fairly new to wheeling. So if you are wheeling with me, and see something I could be doing better, by all means, let me know. Still new to the game.

-Mitch

Brody
June 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Currently have an '87 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.3, but I've been considering looking for a Land Cruiser to wheel instead. Don't know for sure yet. And this will be my second summer in Colorado, and still fairly new to wheeling. So if you are wheeling with me, and see something I could be doing better, by all means, let me know. Still new to the game.

-Mitch

Welcome to the forum! Why do people who have 4 bangers give them names like 'speedwagon'? I have an 84 Yota with a 4 banger and named it 'charger'. I have a heavily modded 94 Yota with a supercharged V6 and usually refer to it as 'my heap'...and it is fast...

Go figure..

Anyway, welcome again. I think you will like the folks here and you can ask all the 'newbie' questions you want and not get flamed. Plus you will actually get good answers...

As far as a LC, if you get serious about this, there are a number of LC owners here that are very knowledgeable and can clue you into the pros and cons and what are the best years to look for.

If you want to stick to your Ranger, PM 1freaky1 (Sean) and Warlord to get their input as to what they are currently doing to their Rangers and what suggestions they may have.

We do all sorts of runs here, have fun doing them, and have great spotters. Doesn't matter your skill level or if you are driving an heavily modified rig or not...

scoutfam
June 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
good folks here and lots of knowledge so have fun and gather for the runs......

Speedwagon
June 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum! Why do people who have 4 bangers give them names like 'speedwagon'? I have an 84 Yota with a 4 banger and named it 'charger'. I have a heavily modded 94 Yota with a supercharged V6 and usually refer to it as 'my heap'...and it is fast...

Go figure..

Anyway, welcome again. I think you will like the folks here and you can ask all the 'newbie' questions you want and not get flamed. Plus you will actually get good answers...

As far as a LC, if you get serious about this, there are a number of LC owners here that are very knowledgeable and can clue you into the pros and cons and what are the best years to look for.

If you want to stick to your Ranger, PM 1freaky1 (Sean) and Warlord to get their input as to what they are currently doing to their Rangers and what suggestions they may have.

We do all sorts of runs here, have fun doing them, and have great spotters. Doesn't matter your skill level or if you are driving an heavily modified rig or not...

Because I was mostly given the name when I lived in Japan, driving a Legacy turbo wagon. And it's more about my driving style than anything else. :)

Chris
June 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Welcome to Front Range Mitch! Nice to have you here and thanks to GM4x4Lover for letting you know. Like Pete said, lots of good people, great variety of trucks and experience levels. I look forward to meeting you on a run one of these days. I have an '88 Land Cruiser and love it, any special LC you're thinking about?

:welcome:

Speedwagon
June 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome to Front Range Mitch! Nice to have you here and thanks to GM4x4Lover for letting you know. Like Pete said, lots of good people, great variety of trucks and experience levels. I look forward to meeting you on a run one of these days. I have an '88 Land Cruiser and love it, any special LC you're thinking about?

Thanx. As for an LC, I don't know yet. I really like the looks of the 80 series, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much on one. Don't know much about them yet, other than they are quite capable machines overall.

Swath
June 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM

gm4x4lover
June 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Howdy, glad you could make it by. This forum has some pretty sweet how to clinics such as recovery proper lines and vehicle repairs. Their is alot of diversity of rigs, knowledge, and experience here. i am sure you will like it.:2thumbs:

Funrover
June 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the madness! :thunb:

1freaky1
June 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the group, as for the name thingy its funny cause my family refers to my ranger as the beast or monster, far from it in my opinion LOL.

Speedwagon
June 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Well I've had this name since 2001 now. So no point in changing it(except for one forum, where I pissed in some admin's cheerios and got banned, then came back as TitanV).

Roostercruiser
June 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM
hi and wecolme. how about tiny for the burb lol.........

Gecko Cycles
June 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Brody
June 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Thanx. As for an LC, I don't know yet. I really like the looks of the 80 series, but I'm not sure I want to drop that much on one. Don't know much about them yet, other than they are quite capable machines overall.

You can find the 90s Land Cruisers...I think you would be looking at the 92 or 93, but I may be wrong as to the best year, for between $6k and $9k. My friend Bren got one for $9k that was already lifted and had a bunch of stuff done to it. He put a front bumper, winch and sliders on it and that was about all that he has done. Patrolman finds stuff on craigslist all the time and posts it, so keep an eye out.

An alternative is, if you are dead set on a Yota, to look for a set up 4 Runner that someone has lost interest in that is set up. You can find these for around $6-7k.

Hypoid
June 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Welcome!

Yep, things are looking pretty grim for the lil' Ranger. Honestly, if you did fix the 4-banger, I think the truck would be better suited as a winter beater, not a trail runner.

Whatever brand you look at, buy one with a live axle from the factory. It seems like everyone who wheels either has one, or wishes they had one.

itsjustdan23
June 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Right on man welcome to FR! I myself own a 94' Ranger with the 4.slow in it. Pretty capiable rigs I think. I have yet to do anything major to it, but havent broke anything over the years of abuse its taken from gettin firewood and extreamly overloading it every trip. Im new to the whole wheelin thing too. Well kinda, grew up in the mountains of Idaho and there is alot of old logging and old waggon trails ( back when there was waggons pulled by horses ).

1freaky1
June 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Right on man welcome to FR! I myself own a 94' Ranger with the 4.slow in it. Pretty capiable rigs I think. I have yet to do anything major to it, but havent broke anything over the years of abuse its taken from gettin firewood and extreamly overloading it every trip. Im new to the whole wheelin thing too. Well kinda, grew up in the mountains of Idaho and there is alot of old logging and old waggon trails ( back when there was waggons pulled by horses ).

There's mountains in Idaho? :lol: Just messing with ya Dan!

itsjustdan23
June 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM
LOL. More like the foothills here. But they do get above 5k feet sometimes. Its a great state. Just gotta get out and explore the hills :P

bskey
June 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Because I was mostly given the name when I lived in Japan, driving a Legacy turbo wagon. And it's more about my driving style than anything else. :)

Ahh hell, a JDM LGT wagon? My favorite car ever was an 05 LGT sedan Stg 2+. My next nice car will be an 05+ LGT wagon.... very jealous you got to experience the JDM goodness!