PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake/Twin Cone 6/12

Brody
June 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
We are going to do a run to Wheeler Lake and Twin Cone this Friday. Wheeler will be an exploratory run where we will go as far up the trail as we can get. Expect to do a little getting stuck in the snow, some winching and tugging on this. Essentially we are just going to try to break trail farther than the last set of tracks. I don't expect that we will get to the bottom of Bowling Ball Hill, but we may. At any rate, we aren't going to spend a huge amount of time on this, just run it as far as common sense dictates.

We will then run Twin Cone off the top of Kenosha Pass on the way back to town. This trail is open all the way to the top and is a fun trail to do with a great view.

Difficulty level:

Wheeler is OK for a mildly lifted rig, taking the easiest lines...IF there isn't a bunch of snow. If you want to go on this run and have a near stock rig, expect to have to stop a little earlier than a set up rig. You can either bum a ride with someone, or simply hang out for a bit and take in the scenery. The set up rigs aren't going to be gone long before turning back.

Twin Cone is fine for a stock rig, but a little challenging. Anything other than stock will have no problems.

Meeting time and Place:

Conifer Safeway/Starbucks at 8:30 AM. Allow a little time for rush hour traffic. This Safeway is located just past Aspen Park and you get to it by taking the turn onto Conifer Parkway. Be in the right hand lane.

Links:

Wheeler Lake:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=40

Twin Cone:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=38

Contact Information and CB Channel:

CB Channel 4
Pete's cell: 303-507-3066 Note: Service good to C470 and Morrison Road, then lost until Aspen Park

Gee...I hope I did this right....Randy will have my butt and I'll never hear the end of it if I didn't.....:D

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I should be good on $, i am back to grocery shopping for $100 for a 2 week period so i will have gas $. I would LOVE to do twin cone.

This will be tentative as i will be helping roland with his rig. Not sure exactly when he will need me though.

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
how doable is wheeler for my rig with taking it slow and using easy lines if any?

davidpri
June 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
how doable is wheeler for my rig with taking it slow and using easy lines if any?

I think you can make it up the Wheeler Lake trail as far as we will get on Friday.

I am going, and both Pete and I have winches.

If you haven't ever done the Wheeler Lake trail, you are missing out on one ass kicking good time.

Hope to see you on Friday.

WINKY
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
yeah i got my 16.5 as well, im just thinking of clearance.

itsjustdan23
June 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
When I take some vacation Ill be hittin up a couple of trails for sure. I only have the 13th off this week.

Brody
June 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM

You should be OK. I have seen some really big rigs do this trail. They all had to do the easy lines, but it is a cool trail no matter the lines you take.

Dan
June 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I would Love to go, but it is dependent on 3 things:
1. If I get my Longfields installed (still waiting for a few more parts)
2. If I can clear my Friday morning schedule
3. If the :princess: lets me (We have a family reunion in eastern CO and she wants to leave by about 2 pm)

Wheeler is just over the hill for me and would love to join you guys but would probably need to leave by noon or so...

JaBeep
June 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm anxious to read the trail report. The drifts are still deep above timberline and the snow continues to fall. Should be a great snow bashing afternoon. Enjoy!

WINKY
June 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
sweet, i didnt know there were easy lines for wheeler, i will play it by ear when i get there.

Aaron
June 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hey,

Can one (or more) of you guys add these trails to the 4x4 Trail information. It would be a great help.

Thanks
Aaron

Haku
June 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping to go on this run, but its completely dependent on whether I get this paycheck I am supposed to get. Was supposed to get it last week, but "they didn't have my information" so it didn't go through, and supposedly I am waiting for a accountant type person to come in before they give it it to me (evidently she doesn't come in very often and its usually unannounced, so I have no idea if she is coming through). Till then, I am literally broke and can't afford anything at all (food included). Getting a bit annoyed with them, since its been a month since I temped for them.

JH

WINKY
June 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
hey let me know if you need the basics man, i can help. dont want you starvin.

Haku
June 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Really depends on if I can get ahold of the owner of the place or the accountant lady. Should be alright for a day or two more, might have to raid the change drawer though. You get some weird looks when you pay for 20 dollars worth of groceries with a bucket of change though (been there:)). Haven't actually talked to anyone except the receptionist yet, so I'll figure that out. After how they handle this and how I've heard they run the place, don't mind especially if i burn that bridge. Don't want to be a school photo dude anyways (yes, I temped as a Prom Photo cashier.......I'll admit it).

JH

WINKY
June 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Let me know with what i can help if you need it and good luck josh!

4Runninfun
June 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Randy you should be fine. the only problem you might encounter is your rear overhang. but even then i wouldn't be too worried. We had a friend drive all the way to the top 2 years ago in a completely stock discovery. Wheeler is a must do for me every year, it's one of my fav. trails. i'm bummed i can't go with you guys this time.

Brody
June 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
We are leaving the Conifer Safeway at 8:30, so should be at the Wheeler trailhead around 10:15 +-

My cell is 303-507-3066. I know I have service in Fairplay and I think all the way up to the reservoir. Hope you can make it.

DETN8R
June 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Man, this run sounds fun. Wish I could go.

WINKY
June 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Josh and i are going to meet at the denny's on wadsworth just south of 285 for bfast at 6:30. we will leave out NLT 7:30 and arrive at the conifer meet at 8:30.

Pete, can you add this to the calendar please?

Dan
June 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Can't make it... 3 improptu client meetings and my Aunt and Uncle from the East Coast stopped in kinda short notice (they came out for a funeral in Grand Junction.)

All kept me from finishing my rig.

You guys have fun!!