PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with the XRC winch?

Samuraion34s
May 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I was looking into getting a winch for the Samurai and seen that acouple of you guys are running the Smittybuilt XRC8. I was wanting to know how there holding up ? I really don't want to spend a 1000 dollars on a warn even though i know they hold up just trying to get the most for my money!

RLMS
May 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I run one, never had one problem, and we have used it a couple dozen times in the first year! They are just slow!

buy one! I have no regrets!

Justin

SCRubicon
May 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have the XRC8 on my JK. Only used it once for myself, the rest of the time I spool out the line to pull someone else. The only problem I had with it so far is the plug connections on the winch wiggled loose. (one time - just had to re tighten it with a screwdriver) $299.99 and ships for $9.99 on Winch Depot--> http://www.winchdepot.com/

white collar redneck dad
May 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I was looking into getting a winch for the Samurai and seen that acouple of you guys are running the Smittybuilt XRC8. I was wanting to know how there holding up ? I really don't want to spend a 1000 dollars on a warn even though i know they hold up just trying to get the most for my money!

I have a warn 8,000 that has had its clutch / braking system replaced. I spent $120 on clutch system through FT Collins 4x4 shop.,,but motor is burned up. If you know how to fix a warn you can make me a reasonable offer..The winch is just sitting in storage. I was thinking of putting it up on craigs list for $200.. But since you belong to the group and I need to get it out of storage,,im open for negotiation. Please feel free to call me 720-253-8556 Charlie

Aaron
May 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have a warn 8,000 that has had its clutch / braking system replaced. I spent $120 on clutch system through FT Collins 4x4 shop.,,but motor is burned up. If you know how to fix a warn you can make me a reasonable offer..The winch is just sitting in storage. I was thinking of putting it up on craigs list for $200.. But since you belong to the group and I need to get it out of storage,,im open for negotiation. Please feel free to call me 720-253-8556 Charlie

I might be interested but don't know what it is worth. It looks like it might cost somewhere between 150 and 320 to get a motor depending which motor it needs. Any ideas as to what you are looking to get for it? I'm poor right now so don't be offended if I don't get it. Trying to pay down debt and build a Jeep is not easy to do.

white collar redneck dad
May 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I might be interested but don't know what it is worth. It looks like it might cost somewhere between 150 and 320 to get a motor depending which motor it needs. Any ideas as to what you are looking to get for it? I'm poor right now so don't be offended if I don't get it. Trying to pay down debt and build a Jeep is not easy to do.

Thanks for your reply.

Believe me I understand being financially tight..with $2100 / mo in child support plus attornies and living expenses (about $6,000-7,000 / mo outflow).

I am open for now. Im even open for bartering :D four gas tank fill ups in my XJ. Do it over time,,buy me subways and fill up my tank for four wheelin trips...I don't care, Im open. Im easy..Id much rather have a redneck in this group use it than sell it on craigs list.

I also have a Chicago Electric 8,000 on my XJ shown in PIC that has a burnt up motor..same deal as above..either one can be yours.

Feel free to call lets talk.

According to warn its $220 ish for new motor...

Haku
May 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have the XRC8 on my JK. Only used it once for myself, the rest of the time I spool out the line to pull someone else. The only problem I had with it so far is the plug connections on the winch wiggled loose. (one time - just had to re tighten it with a screwdriver) $299.99 and ships for $9.99 on Winch Depot--> http://www.winchdepot.com/

Just FYI, WinchDepot is a partner with 4 wheel parts, so you can probably just go pick it up from them for free and for the same price. Even so, they'll price match. Haven't seen em for any cheaper anywhere else though. I'll definitely consider this winch when i get around to getting one. The only negative I have heard is the same as others in that its slower then a Warn or other, but for the price I could deal. Its certainly better then the other winch I was looking at, that being the 5500 pound Chicago Electric one from Harbor Freight. Only reason I am considering it, is that its even cheaper (at least when on sale) and is half the weight of a 8k winch.

Redneck, gotta stop burning out those winch motors man. Whatcha doing, pulling everyone and their mother out of the mud? Sounds like you need to save up and get one of those gear drive Warns that does the 75 foot a minute pull with no load on. Those suckers will pull **** out all day long. Too bad they cost upwards of $1500 and weigh 200lbs.

JH

Pathrat
May 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

Here is what I found to be some useful information on the winch debate

1freaky1
May 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Probably not a lot of help but here is my only experience with the XRC8 is I installed one on a full size 96 Broncon and wired it up for a guy that I built a bumper for, have not heard any complaints from with regards to using his winch.

A-TRAC
May 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Another option is SuperWinch. A little pricier, but not as expensive as Warns.

You can pick up a SuperWinch LP-8500 from Rokmen in the Highlands Ranch area for around $375 with tax.

http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_lp8500/superwinch_lp8500.html

cfr
May 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Since I, like most people here, have an internet addiction to researching 4x4 parts I can't afford... here's my take.

I'll likely go with either Smittybilt or Titan winch with air. Steel winch cables scare me so I'd like to go synthetic if I can afford it.

Best price on Smittybilt (as mentioned by someone else) is 4wheelparts.com with local pick up. Sometime soon (late spring / early summer) Smittybilt will release the XRC10HD (with air compressor).

Titan winch is a one-man-show from Canada that seems popular with the FJC crowd. Everything I've read is good.

Good luck.