PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Gulch Run

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM
We have Pickle Gulch on the calendar for Saturday with a bunch of Maybes, who's wanting to go?

1freaky1
May 12th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I am thinking the heck with it and going regardless of the fact that is where I messed up the truck in the first place. I will just have to avoid the rock outcropping and take it easy the rest of the way as I can't afford anymore damage at this point to the IFS at least not till I get the SAS done.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Did you post it originally Sean? I know MikeM is interested along with a few people he knows. Let's start RSVPing on the calendar.

1freaky1
May 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah that was before I messed up the truck, go figure. I thought I marked it down after the fact that I would not be going, But not getting out there is driving me crazy.

seangillis11b
May 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
i would love to go but that two hour drive killed me last week exspecally with a 11 month old

1freaky1
May 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Pickle Gulch is close to town it is just up past Central city.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Meeting place? 9:00?

1freaky1
May 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
After talking with Val if we go in from apex rd the exit is either taking the rock outcropping or the deep mud hole and I do not want to risk either of those until the truck is fixed, otherwise you enter at that same area at the rockwall off 119, so I am out, sorry I didn't think about that before in the earlier posting. whoever is going could meet up at the Bull wackers Gas station on 119 or the trailhead. I have run this trail both directions and there is too many routes into it with all the side trails. I could do a ride along with someone if the have an open seat.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Let's see if anyone's interested. It may be a "no go"

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I am looking at being able to go. I thought that I had done a post to that effect on the RSVP thing....

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Yep, you're a "maybe" Pete, post up if you decide to go for sure. I need to get out this weekend and have never done PG. As I said I think MikeM wants to go along with a few friends.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
My guess is the snow's melting fast, be interesting to see if anything's left by Saturday.

Mickey
May 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
TrailDamage puts this at a 3 - that sound about right? If so, I'll sign up. Need something to get me out of the house on Saturday.

-Mickey

white collar redneck dad
May 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Freekey ---

I live around 112th and sheridan / greenway golf course -- where are you? I need to get out this weekend!!! I may have room for a ride along or two. I dont have my kids this weekend. :(

I look forward to your reply.

Charlie

After talking with Val if we go in from apex rd the exit is either taking the rock outcropping or the deep mud hole and I do not want to risk either of those until the truck is fixed, otherwise you enter at that same area at the rockwall off 119, so I am out, sorry I didn't think about that before in the earlier posting. whoever is going could meet up at the Bull wackers Gas station on 119 or the trailhead. I have run this trail both directions and there is too many routes into it with all the side trails. I could do a ride along with someone if the have an open seat.

white collar redneck dad
May 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Chris----

How close to Rollinsville / Jenny Creek is Pickle Gulch?

Charlie

Yep, you're a "maybe" Pete, post up if you decide to go for sure. I need to get out this weekend and have never done PG. As I said I think MikeM wants to go along with a few friends.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've never done Pickle Gulch. ;)

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Chris----

How close to Rollinsville / Jenny Creek is Pickle Gulch?

Charlie

Roughly 40 minutes to Rollinsville, maybe a little less. Then you have about 20 minutes getting to the start of the Rollins Pass road, which is closed toward the top. It is about another 30 minutes drive from the start of Rollins Pass to the trail head for Jenny Creek.

Expect a bunch of snow...Rollins Pass does't usually open until later on this month..

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
We have at least myself, Andy & MikeM - should be fun!

white collar redneck dad
May 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Freekey,,,

Would like to ride along with me to Pickle Gulch?

Charlie

Pickle Gulch is close to town it is just up past Central city.

billsbar
May 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
hmm is that up by Jenny lake and the eye of the needle ( the old tunnel) ? used to fish up there all the time. years ago you could bike to the top, cross the old trellis bridge and ride down in to Winter Park. If so I see no way to get up there from the snow feilds that are across the roads this time of year.

white collar redneck dad
May 12th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Billsbar,

Went up to Moffat tunnel this 5/10 Monday..Roads are dry and Rollins Pass Gate is OPEN!!!! I do not know how far you can go...but a snow bashing trip up Rollins Pass would be fun...HINT HINT

hmm is that up by Jenny lake and the eye of the needle ( the old tunnel) ? used to fish up there all the time. years ago you could bike to the top, cross the old trellis bridge and ride down in to Winter Park. If so I see no way to get up there from the snow feilds that are across the roads this time of year.

billsbar
May 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
we were up there probably 15 years ago or better about this time of year. we finally came up one of the snow slides that was across the road we couldn't get thru. I decided to hike over it and see if it was clear on around the corner. It was to see if it was worth trying to dig thru it to go on. No reason to spend all that time if it was even worse on around the corner. I got out maybe 10 yards and lost footing. I damn near lost it and it looked like it was 1000 feet down on the slide. I got control after sliding maybe 10-15 yards. I got turned around and got off the snow and hiked back up to the trail and we decided that was as far as we were going.

mikem
May 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM

I am definitely in. I will be traveling until mid to late June, so this will be my only chance to do any offroading until the then.

I may or may not have some friends along.

Mike

1freaky1
May 13th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Freekey,,,

Would like to ride along with me to Pickle Gulch?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, Im just around the corner from you, I am on 92nd & Pierce. just past Costco on 92nd. I might have a ride with Brody, but if not, sure I would appreciate riding along with you. Here is my number
303-289-5787. Thanks again, Sean.

If not too many people are going we could meet up at the Diamond Shamrock in Golden off 58 & Washington Ave. they have a decent size parking lot. Say 9am. This location would be the easiest to get in and out of for the highway for a group of Vehicles.

Chris
May 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Meeting place is posted on the RSVP ;)

cfr
May 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Anyone see this from last weekend? This guy ran Pickle Gulch in his new Rubicon.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=148090

Shortcut to Youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu0fmnPi68Q

WINKY
May 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
well good for him that he is doing to that jeep what it was meant to do and what a great way to break it in with the family!!!!

that has to be the clearest video on youtube ive seen yet!

DKDunn04
May 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Looks like it should be fun.

Chris
May 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Looks like it'll be snow free for sure. Might even be dry!

1freaky1
May 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM
It is actually a fairly easy trail the most challenging obsticles are the rocks at the beginning of the video and the mud hole at the end of that video. That mud hole keeps getting deeper and deeper, it has a ledge that you can't hardly see in the video where you drop down in to it. There are some nice size ruts going uphill and around a curve that poses a risk of body damage due to a nice size rock sticking out the side wall. This trail does have some tight areas that will give FS rigs some custom pinstriping. There are some old cabins along this trail and mining areas also.

WINKY
May 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
ill be at the clinic and helping tune a few cb's

H3_Mafia
May 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the Youtube video CFR... its always cool to see the actual Trail then just reading about it. It looks to be a very tight Trail so I will be taking off my Cargo Carrier and crossbars. And step/nerf bars to be safe. Could someone please Mapquest/Google Map the meeting place for me please just to get an idea of where its at? Thanks!

Oh wait is this the Gas Station on the left side right before you get up to Central City?

Brody
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
It is the gas station on the NE corner of the turn off from 58 into main street Golden..the last exit into Golden you can take going west before hitting the light at Clear Creek Canyon (AKA 6th Ave) the road going to Blackhawk/Central City.

Funrover
May 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cool vid! I wish I could go!

Chris
May 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Map:

white collar redneck dad
May 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
What time will we meet at bullwackers?

1freaky1
May 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I printed up some maps last night at work of the trails in this area for whom ever wants a copy Saturday when we meet up.

H3_Mafia
May 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM
^Cool, I'll take a map!

Meeting time is at 9am right?

Chris
May 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
9am at Bull Wackers Gas station ;)

Chris
May 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Just noticed the RSVP is changing a lot today. I'm hoping someone that will be there knows the way to the trail because I sure don't.

Directions anyone? :p

H3_Mafia
May 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Taken from Traildamage.com...

From Denver take I-70 west to the Highway 58 exit 265 to Golden. Follow this through Golden until Highway 58 changes to Highway 6. Highway 6 will then take you to Highway 119. Past Black Hawk you will see a fire station on the left as you round a corner. Once you see the sign on the right for Pickle Gulch Campground turn left at the sign. The trail begins after you go past the Campground on your left.

Chris
May 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jack, we're meeting on 119 so that should be easy enough. I was there a couple weeks ago but just happened on it when wandering around. I do know where the entrance is thanks to SCrubicon's post a while back.

Anyone who's running late should call someone else. If anyone wants my cell # PM me. I'm usually on time. ;)

Chris
May 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Y'all have fun time and take pics because we're out.

Barb walked in the door

Barb "Let's go to Buena Vista"
Me "When?"
Barb "Now!"
Me "Let's Go!"

I love my wife! :thunb:

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Have fun!

1freaky1
May 16th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I know the way there pretty good, done this trail several times if anyone wants my cell # PM me and I will get it out to you in the AM, before I head out with Charlie. We can decide which way we want to run this one at the meet up location too and I give those of you that want a map one also.
I also posted up links to pics I have taken from other trips of this trail on here too.