PDA

View Full Version : New Logo?

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hey all,

I've been chatting with Chris about sprucing up the ol' FR4x4 logo a bit. I was playing around yesterday afternoon and came up with this one. The goal was to give it the same flavor as the current logo but a little more updated.

Chris suggested I throw it up here for the group to see and see if any others want to make suggestions for FR Logos.

If I have time, I'll come up with some more ideas over the next week or two. What kind of Photoshop skills do we have on the site?

Aaron

4runner freak
May 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Looks good.
I like it.

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ignore my PM Aaron, I read the before posts. ;)

scoutfam
May 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I am diggin it.... where do I get a sticker for my window and how much.....

Brody
May 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Gee...good thing that I gave away all of the left over stickers from the Anniversary run on this last one....

I have been using PS since PS2. Ditto with Illustrator. I am also familiar with Freehand, Quark, Bryce, Amorphium, all of Kai's stuff, Knoll Lens Flare Pro, Cararra, Ray Dream Studio (the big version), a bunch of other 3D programs, etc...Got my first computer, a little MAC, back when they first came out. Got into graphics and design very shortly afterwards...

Now I use most of these programs on both MACs and PCs. Done some AutoCad and Arc View stuff, too...

There are quite a few folks that have PS skills as well as other 3D design and CAD skills on the site. There are at least two that do it for a living...

Go with the design. My thought is that the more uncluttered it is, the easier it is to read from a distance. Two other things to mention if you don't know: The human mind responds well to no more than three colors at the same time. Ditto with assimulating anything else. Anything more than that, it has to start putting things into groups of 3, which takes time and more effort.

That is one of the reasons why successful web pages are so simple as far as color and content and why so many of the more successful ads and packaging have so few colors. Anything more than a couple, people get bored with trying to deal with it...Sad, but true...

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Pete & others, feel free to post one too. Nothing against Aarons but why not see what other put together?

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Fewer colors is cheaper to print too :)

I used PS for a long time (since the early to mid 90s) as well. Now that I do this stuff mostly for fun, I've switched over to the much cheaper (free) GIMP which is quite powerful. Its an open source product. I'm quite impressed.

As for what Chris said, I'm up for a bit of friendly competition. I will probably tweak this one or come up with another design this week. We'll see how the time works out.

Lets see what kind of geeky graphics abilities we have here.

Gecko Cycles
May 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I like the one we have now.
This other one is hard for me to read. It needs harder outline on the letters or more contrast from brown to green and no or much thinner line under them.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I like the one we have now.
This other one is hard for me to read. It needs harder outline on the letters or more contrast from brown to green and no or much thinner line under them.

I've heard that before. Chris, you been talking to Gecko? You caught me on my lunch break so I gave it another whirl. I made the drop shadow thinner and moved it up so that it will contrast a bit better. I removed the line.

The upload mechanism here obviously changes the compression on these files so it looks more grainy (lines are not as sharp) here than it would in real life.

Thoughts?

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Nope, didn't say a word but it may be an old guy eyesight thing. KB's almost as old as me. How about just snowcapping the letters? More work of course but may make it more readable.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Nope, didn't say a word but it may be an old guy eyesight thing. KB's almost as old as me. How about just snowcapping the letters? More work of course but may make it more readable.

snowcapping? You mean like a white glow or what? I don't know what that means.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
The world is falling apart. I got the email notification of your post Brody but I don't see it here.

As for the snowcaps in the existing logo? I think I am braindead because I don't see snowcaps in the existing logo. Please help a wet-behind-the-ears braindead guy understand what you mean.

WINKY
May 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
lets get more ideas up and put it to an anonymous vote.

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Snowcapping isn't a term you should be familiar with, sorry I was trying to convey the idea of just having a snow cap effect on the letters instead of the white cutting through it all.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Maybe. I did really like the idea of the Colorado license plate mountains in the background of the letters but let me think about it a bit.

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
IMHO the license plate concept seems to be lost if you didn't know the original.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
IMHO the license plate concept seems to be lost if you didn't know the original.

Ok, I can buy that. Let me see what I can do. (that was one of my favorite parts :| )

Brody
May 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
The world is falling apart. I got the email notification of your post Brody but I don't see it here.

As for the snowcaps in the existing logo? I think I am braindead because I don't see snowcaps in the existing logo. Please help a wet-behind-the-ears braindead guy understand what you mean.

I deleted it as soon as I posted it. I thought that was what Chris meant, but didn't want to guess...

JeepersCreepers
May 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm diggin the new idea. What other colors combo's can ya come up with?

gm4x4lover
May 11th, 2009, 09:01 PM
How about a red white and blue color scheme for the up coming wftw run?

Pathrat
May 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I think the design would make a great banner. I am undecided about having the wording as part of a decal.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Version 3

Funrover
May 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I like 3 the most so far

Pathrat
May 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I like 3 the most so far

me too

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I agree, I'd like to see a few varieties of fonts especially with the small print.

Rovers4now
May 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe attach all three versions to the same post so we can see them side by side. I think I like the third one the best.

For what ever my opinion is worth.

white collar redneck dad
May 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,,,

If you are looking for new logos for Coats, hats, t shirts....my girl friend is the Office Manager for
a custom Embroidery company in Broomfield. I bet if we get our ideas together and buy as a group we can get a great bulk deal!!..

Your Thoughts?
Charlie

I agree, I'd like to see a few varieties of fonts especially with the small print.

Aaron
May 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Here they are attached. Which ones do you like?

WINKY
May 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
so far i vote 3

Screweder
May 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Agreed, I also vote 3 thus far

white collar redneck dad
May 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
i like number 3 as well

JeepersCreepers
May 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Their all good, but 3 i feel is the best so far

itsjustdan23
May 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I vote for 3. Best to read and it stands out.

Gecko Cycles
May 12th, 2009, 03:24 AM
3 too

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I like 3

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,,,

If you are looking for new logos for Coats, hats, t shirts....my girl friend is the Office Manager for
a custom Embroidery company in Broomfield. I bet if we get our ideas together and buy as a group we can get a great bulk deal!!..

Your Thoughts?
Charlie

I'd like to get some quotes, haven't been successful in any past attempts at getting something good. :thunb:

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Still like #3

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I'd like to get some quotes, haven't been successful in any past attempts at getting something good. :thunb:

LaDawn and I are working on a 4x4 T shirt/sweatshirt design and have found a guy that does the printed stuff pretty cheaply. We will PM you with his contact information. He is a member of LaDawn's leads group.

Embroidery would be great for some gimme hats....

Aaron
May 12th, 2009, 07:27 AM
LaDawn and I are working on a 4x4 T shirt/sweatshirt design and have found a guy that does the printed stuff pretty cheaply. We will PM you with his contact information. He is a member of LaDawn's leads group.

Here's a good 1 color version for printing screen printing cheaply.

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM
OOOOO I like that more.... perhaps because of my obsession with snow..LOL

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Here's a good 1 color version for printing screen printing cheaply.

Sweet...and looks better than the original one that the FR shirts used.

FYI, what LaDawn and I are working on for our 4X stuff is not related to anything Front Range 4X4.

I don't have the time to mess with the FR logo anyway. We are too busy getting other web based stuff going on in addition to our normal everyday stuff.

I think that you are doing a great job of it and look forward to the end result.

BTW...funrover is essentially blind as a bat so don't pay too much attention to what he says. He is only so good as a driver and spotter simply because his hearing is so acute. If you listen very hard, you will hear him make many extremely high pitched sounds (actually sounds like he is in pain) which he is bouncing off of solid objects..again, much like a bat...After many years of practice and many damaged vehicles, he has gotten to be extremely good at this. So good, in fact, that only the people that know him are aware of this....

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
BTW...funrover is essentially blind as a bat so don't pay too much attention to what he says. He is only so good as a driver and spotter simply because his hearing is so acute. If you listen very hard, you will hear him make many extremely high pitched sounds (actually sounds like he is in pain) which he is bouncing off of solid objects..again, much like a bat...After many years of practice and many damaged vehicles, he has gotten to be extremely good at this. So good, in fact, that only the people that know him are aware of this....

ROFLMAO!!! :lol::lol: That just made my day better.. is that odd? LOL

1freaky1
May 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I guess I am diferent from everyone else I like 4 best then 3 after that. But they all look good.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I like 4 also then 3

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Any leads would be good, experience has showed me it's a pretty iffy proposition.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Version 3

Version 3 appears to be the choice and I like the single color for t-shirts and such.

Is version 3 the actual size?

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Version 3 appears to be the choice and I like the single color for t-shirts and such.

Is version 3 the actual size?

Depends on what size computer screen you are currently viewing it on:lol:

Aaron
May 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
No, the forum software compresses and resizes it so I will need your email to get it to you.

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Funny guy Pete! Actual = size of current one ;)

BTW, I'm not on a 12" screen any more. Got myself a new machine finally.

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Figured that was what you meant:D

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
No, the forum software compresses and resizes it so I will need your email to get it to you.

Thanks Aaron, admin@frontrange4x4.com

Single color at a print resolution please but I imagine I don't need to mention that.

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hey all,

I've been chatting with Chris about sprucing up the ol' FR4x4 logo a bit. I was playing around yesterday afternoon and came up with this one. The goal was to give it the same flavor as the current logo but a little more updated.

Chris suggested I throw it up here for the group to see and see if any others want to make suggestions for FR Logos.

If I have time, I'll come up with some more ideas over the next week or two. What kind of Photoshop skills do we have on the site?

Aaron

:2c:

The green melts into the brown a little much when you squint your eyes because their color values are very close. If the sticker is far enough away that you have to squint to see it you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Go with a solid contrasting color for the text - selecting contrasting colors is useful when you want to make the colors stand out more.

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah, #3 is my pic. I like this use of brown, green and white the best. And the font combo. :thunb:

Chris
May 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
:2c:

The green melts into the brown a little much when you squint your eyes because their color values are very close. If the sticker is far enough away that you have to squint to see it you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Go with a solid contrasting color for the text - selecting contrasting colors is useful when you want to make the colors stand out more.

Thanks Steve, I'm thinking of staying with the simple single color stickers. This is for the site logo only. At least that's what I've been thinking, hope I didn't just insult you Aaron.

gm4x4lover
May 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I like the lower lettering of 4 better then 3

Aaron
May 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks Steve, I'm thinking of staying with the simple single color stickers. This is for the site logo only. At least that's what I've been thinking, hope I didn't just insult you Aaron.

No insult taken. Did you see the green and white one for stickers and t-shirts? I thought that one looked good and would be a 1 color print.

Aaron
May 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Its at the bottom of page 2 of this thread.

Swath
May 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I like #4, put some snow on the tall peaks!

Swath
May 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I notice you can type http://www.fr4x4.com as well as http://www.frontrange4x4.com .

How about a short "FR4x4.COM" logo....

Gecko Cycles
May 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Really, after thinking about, it I like the present one just fine.

Chris
May 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
No insult taken. Did you see the green and white one for stickers and t-shirts? I thought that one looked good and would be a 1 color print.

Yes, I like that for print, I'll see what the costs are but wasn't really thrilled with the last color stickers. When I get some time I'll check in to t-shirts using that. I think they'd look really good!

Chris
May 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Done as everyone had to notice - looks fantastic Aaron!

:cheers:

Aaron
May 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The link bar seemed to go away. Was that on purpose?

SCRubicon
May 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
This is for the site logo only. At least that's what I've been thinking,

Looks good up there :thunb:

Chris
May 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
The link bar seemed to go away. Was that on purpose?

Yes, I only recently added it and found it redundant with the Forum Jump menu.

Aaron
May 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Probably true. I kept clicking on the home button which tool me to the real index page...

I like the new summary info in the thread bar as well.

Bueno!

Brody
May 14th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Nice Aaron! Thanks!