PDA

View Full Version : Trail Survey

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Based on a thread here's a poll to see what type of trails you prefer.

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Feel free to comment or not. I marked Moderate which after trying some difficult I find generally more enjoyable. I'm not even sure using the words Moderate/Difficult etc are fitting because of the inherent lack of real meaning but it's just for a general idea.

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
i had to check difficult as china wall gave me some love taps :) good poll chris!

i also chose easy and moderate as i like wheelin!

itsjustdan23
May 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I clicked mod. cuz Im not set up for anything to rough/tough just yet. Money is a big issue with me, so breaking things is a no no for me. Its goin to take me a few years to get it set up sadly.

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Can I choose 3? LOL I have not done "Hard Core" but I am also not built for it.

Swath
May 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
160% of the votes are in!

Warrlord
May 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I voted "difficult". I like the challenges even if I can't do 'em all :D

I'm not set up for "hard core" so I wouldn't wanna even try those.

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I voted "difficult". I like the challenges even if I can't do 'em all :D

I'm not set up for "hard core" so I wouldn't wanna even try those.

What you don't want to run Penrose with me?

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
160% of the votes are in!

:eek: What the hell's up with that?

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM

I think it's people like me that voted for more than one. :o

Whitey Jr
May 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
i love a challenge plus im a little too stuborn to pass anything up i will try it untill i prove myself wrong or the cherokee says i cant do it

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
i love a challenge plus im a little too stuborn to pass anything up i will try it untill i prove myself wrong or the cherokee says i cant do it

Then you step back..look.. and find a new way to do it hahaha:lol:

WINKY
May 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM

might be that some of us are a little "heavier" than others and are tipping the scales...?:lol:

DKDunn04
May 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I picked mod and diff. Moderate stuff is fun and all, but sometimes I like a challenge.

Pathrat
May 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I voted for Moderate, but maybe difficult if it's on the lower end of difficult by Wells' standards :)

x2 :)

4Runninfun
May 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I voted mod. My primary goal with my truck is to get out and go see things i havn't seen before. Just because there is a boulder field doesn't mean i feel the need to try and drive it. To me a dirt road that extends for a 100miles with nobody else out there is more fun than trying to climb boulders all day for 2mi.

Screweder
May 9th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I voted mod. My primary goal with my truck is to get out and go see things i havn't seen before. Just because there is a boulder field doesn't mean i feel the need to try and drive it. To me a dirt road that extends for a 100miles with nobody else out there is more fun than trying to climb boulders all day for 2mi.
:thunb: Honestly couldn't have said it better myself. I find that a few rocks, dips, mud puddles, and ect... here and there add depth to the trip, but rock after rock after rock is something left for someone with more funds and time to replace part after part... I'm just not there. Plus, my baby may not be perfect... But I don't want to see her completely trashed!

Pathrat
May 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Well said. I spent 60 miles driving on a mild trail into the Maze, and countless miles tooling around dirt roads in Utah, and they were some of the best 'trails' ever.

dr350jja
May 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Right now it looks like a pretty even split between Moderate and Difficult trails :D

RockyMtnHigh
May 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I selected difficult, but what you said describes me more, I don't mind a difficult trail, but to me it's all about getting out there whether it be a dirt road or not.

1freaky1
May 10th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Xs2 for me, I put mod and diff. but would rather be out and explore some stuff as well as try and see what the truck is capable of

itsjustdan23
May 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Sean, lets trade Rangers :D

Screweder
May 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
You'll try anything until your friend passes out from stacking rocks! :lol:

1freaky1
May 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Sean, lets trade Rangers :D

Dan just remember the suspension on mine is completely stock w/ exception of re-adjusting the t-bars + bigger tires.

Gecko Cycles
May 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I like the difficult to hard core runs. I do like just getting out too. I'll leave the really hard core runs like Penrose but have certainly had lots of fun on 9 and 10 rated trails. it just depends on the trail. I think 7-8 being the most fun for me. I prefer to not make something the first second or third try.

BOYoda
May 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
slightly sub challenging.

What does this mean? it means i want to complete trails and see new things ... not fix my rig at every turn.

going out overnight with fishing poles and grill in the back of the truck sounds cool.
gotta find a four day weekend that we can travel from one side of colorado to the next.

robert

DETN8R
May 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I like to go as hard as spring creek and the old Carnage Canyon in boulder.

Whitey Jr
May 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You'll try anything until your friend passes out from stacking rocks! :lol:

very true and very unfortunate for you cuz i do think your that friend

Screweder
May 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
:rant:Figures, lol

Brody
May 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I am assuming that by "Hard Core, bring it on' you are talking trails like Carnage BV, Independence and all of the other hard core stuff around Montrose and Penrose?

Where does this get broken down? There are only a handfull of rigs on this site capable of running many of those trails, and even those rigs are going to break expensive stuff doing them. I can run them in my heap, but do I want to, especially with the finances being what they are?? And if I were to run them, I would be fully expecting to break something important (read: expensive)

Not really...and I still have to be able to drive my rig home...

I am kinda of curious as to who voted in this last category and if they weren't being a little optimistic...nothing wrong with that, of course...just interested to see what they were driving, especially if they were thinking BV Carnage, Indy, Patriot, etc.

Holy Cross and most of the rest of the 'hard' trails in the state fall into the previous "accepting damage" category

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Click the % and you'll see who voted for what:
Bring it on - 4wdhunter (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=168), Ace (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=396), Gecko Cycles (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=375), JeepersCreepers (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=188), white collar redneck dad (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=423)

Gecko Cycles
May 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I'm confused as what the bring it on category begins and stops too.
I've done 7, 8, 9 all the time and love Firemans which is rated a 10 but certainly isn't as hard as Penrose, Carnage BV or even Carnage Boulder was in my opinion. Fireman's is just steep but I have never had a problem in my rig with it but see lots of longer wheelbase rigs have extreme difficulty with it and have seen several roll and nose over. I think it was lack of gears and driving skill more than the difficulty of it.
I don't look to play on the 9/10 sections for the most parts because I can't for the most part but a 10 on FIreman's is nice to do. I can't even think about a 9/10 on big rocks. Far left line up Whale Tail/Waterfall at Chinaman Gultch I would concider a 10 but the trail is only rated high end a 7. The Rock Garden again has some very hard lines on the far left as you are going up the wash that I can't do either but would rate those at an 8 or better.
So what I'm saying is the ratings of side hilling and going down or up differ for me. An 8 on the side is not doable for me but I guess more is possible if it is up or down.

Chris
May 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM

That's why I didn't use rating numbers, I find them meaningless in general.

white collar redneck dad
May 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hello Ken et al...

I mostly enjoy Big Mother Hill, Firmans and exploring the loop in left hand 5pts..the climb to Firmans Hill,,down to 3 pts..down the Sqeeze then back to 5 pts.

I really enjoyed Wheeler Lake and Upper Section of Twin Cone to the Towers for an Aspen Viewing Trip. Having trial damage / repair on my rig above Timber line in a hail / lightning storm creates a fun sense of humor trip. :thunb:I wrapped my exhaust from front of my cat all the back to exhaust tips on Upper Section of Twin Cone...Nothing like seeing your exhaust hanging 5 feet on the OUTSIDE of your rig!! :D

I have not wheeled too many above timberline trails...ie Red Cone..hint hint...:thunb:

Full moon night wheelin above timerline would be INCREDIBLE!!

Lets Go Wheelin,
Charlie

I've done 7, 8, 9 all the time and love Firemans which is rated a 10 but certainly isn't as hard as Penrose, Carnage BV or even Carnage Boulder was in my opinion. Fireman's is just steep but I have never had a problem in my rig with it but see lots of longer wheelbase rigs have extreme difficulty with it and have seen several roll and nose over. I think it was lack of gears and driving skill more than the difficulty of it.
I don't look to play on the 9/10 sections for the most parts because I can't for the most part but a 10 on FIreman's is nice to do. I can't even think about a 9/10 on big rocks. Far left line up Whale Tail/Waterfall at Chinaman Gultch I would concider a 10 but the trail is only rated high end a 7. The Rock Garden again has some very hard lines on the far left as you are going up the wash that I can't do either but would rate those at an 8 or better.
So what I'm saying is the ratings of side hilling and going down or up differ for me. An 8 on the side is not doable for me but I guess more is possible if it is up or down.

4Runner3Wheeler
May 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I voted Moderate and Difficult. I don't 'want' to damage my vehicle, but I do want to see it perform. Mods should focus on durability and armoring first and foremost!

I like the longer expedition-type trails that involve some interesting sections, but do like the option of driving through a boulder field if the rest of the trail is a dirt road. It's nice to mix it up.

I'm definitely not hard core and do not want to spend a whole day on one obstacle breaking components.

4Runner3Wheeler
May 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
You bring up a point my climbing partner and I discuss: Different routes are harder for different body types. I would have to say the same is true with 4x4 rigs.

Brody
May 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
You bring up a point my climbing partner and I discuss: Different routes are harder for different body types. I would have to say the same is true with 4x4 rigs.

Same, same...I have climbed with men and women ranging in size from 4'10" and maybe 90lbs to 6'7" and over 200 lbs. Everyone climbs stuff differently. It has always been great watching the 5' lightwieght do the same hard climbs as the 6' 160 pounder. The best woman climber in the world is 5' tall if she bounces a little and was the very first person, man or woman, to free climb El Cap...then she came back a couple of weeks later and did it in under 24 hours...and she wasn't a kid then, either...

I have been totally shut down by women on climbs...don't have a problem with it...they make better snipers, too...but to struggle on something and not even be able to get off the ground after watching some 90lb 20 year old girl hike it...well, it makes you want to work on your technique a bit...

That is what I like about our runs here and the great people...watching a lightweight Sammi do an obstacle, the watching Randy or Roland in their big rigs do the same thing...and like watching Aaron hike over something in his Rover cause he is such a good driver...I love watching Aaron drive stuff....(doesn't mean I like ya, Aaron...just that you are a great driver...)

SCRubicon
May 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My primary goal with my truck is to get out and go see things i havn't seen before.

I'm with you man. If there's nothing to look at I'm not going....

Funrover
May 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm with you man. If there's nothing to look at I'm not going....

Pretty much, I enjoy challenge but I want to see what is out there... I will ever do Penrose.. doesn't offer anything for me

H3_Mafia
May 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I voted for Easy and Moderate. My goal this season is to get out and see as much scenery as I can without worrying about having to break anything. I know my rig is capable but I myself need more time/experience behind the wheel. And then I'll work up to the much harder Trails with the rest of you Pros. :D