PDA

View Full Version : Chinaman Gulch, May 9th

RZuk1
May 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
My wife and I are thinking about doing a run down to Chinaman Gulch outside Buena Vista this weekend on Saturday, 5/09. I'm new here, so I've not tried to organize anything like this before. I think 9:30 at the Johnson Village Truck Stop before heading out to the trailhead would be a good time to meet. Gecko Cycles expressed some interest depending upon an axle project he has going on.

Just so all of you know, I have not run the full trail before so I will not be acting as official leader on the trail. However, I'm comfortable navigating from directions and maps and always enjoy a great adventure. Anyway, perhaps someone who's run the full trail before will step up and lead the way!

Hope we can get something together, and bear with me, for I'm a NEWBIE!

Rob

Funrover
May 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Have fun, I will be camping. Just take your time and you will be fine OCG is a fun trail!

4Runninfun
May 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Chinamans is a lot of fun just make sure you have someone to go with. that trail can put you in a sticky spot quick. I think many of us are going to be going on the 4 trails run.

RZuk1
May 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
How does Chinaman Gulch compare to say, Wheeler Lake, Spring Creek, Golden Spike, or Holy Cross, just for comparison value since I am familiar with those trails?

Funrover
May 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
How does Chinaman Gulch compare to say, Wheeler Lake, Spring Creek, Golden Spike, or Holy Cross, just for comparison value since I am familiar with those trails?

Chinamens is mors difficult than Wheeler, I have never done Golden Spike. It is more Continues obstacles but easier obstacles than Holy Cross. It really is a great trail. Look through pics/vids posted on this site for more ideas. I would rate OCG and Holy Cross pretty close together, French Creek makes HC more difficult.

RZuk1
May 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I need to decide tonight if we are headed down there. My options for people to go with are slim... So, if no one seems able to go (I know the four trails day is going on) we may just do something else and wait for Chinaman another day.

RZuk1
May 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
If you wait a week I am probably in for a Chinaman's run. I need to try out the new 37's and have it all just about dialed in. :thunb:

My schedule doesn't seem to fit with anyone:(. Next week, I can't go. Oh well.

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I will go if you want. I would rather have more than 2 guys go but it is what it is.

I'll see if there is another group going at colo4x and maybe we can hook up with them too. There is usually a ride going there every week. The Zombies are going the 24th I think but I have plans on going to Zukapoluza ride in AZ. and then hook up with Swath in Moab on the return trip.

Just checked Colo4x and looks like 2 or 3 small groups are going. One at 9:30 and at 10:30.

I would say Chinaman has more obstacles to play on than any of the other trails you mentioned and you make them as hard as you want. I don't know about Golden Spike. Holy Cross is pretty easy except for French Creek and the very top past Holy Cross city doing Cleveland Rock which is best suited for longer wheelbase. Both those obstacles be best if you had locked frt and rear.
Wheeler has a few big obstacles that you can make as hard as you want towards the bottom. The rest is just rocky bone jarring to Wheeler lake.

RZuk1
May 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I will go if you want. I would rather have more than 2 guys go but it is what it is.

Just checked Colo4x and looks like 2 or 3 small groups are going. One at 9:30 and at 10:30.

It would be nice to have a larger group, though I seem to end up in small groups or even alone most of the time. I don't know anyone from Colo4x. I think we are going to head down there anyway Saturday morning. If you still want to go, would 9:30 or 10:30 be best?

Rob

Gecko Cycles
May 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
It would be nice to have a larger group, though I seem to end up in small groups or even alone most of the time. I don't know anyone from Colo4x. I think we are going to head down there anyway Saturday morning. If you still want to go, would 9:30 or 10:30 be best?

RobI think 10:30 would give us time to get there without any trouble.
Do you know where the trail head is?
If not we can meet at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village.
Go to the callender and confirm

Swath
May 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I think 10:30 would give us time to get there without any trouble.
Do you know where the trail head is?
If not we can meet at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village.
Go to the callender and confirm

The Gunsmoke has a great breakfest :thunb:

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM
The Gunsmoke has a great breakfest :thunb:

The burrito is AWESOME....Come hungry!

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
where is the truck stop i might go if im not too hungover im going out tonight lol

Funrover
May 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
From the Springs take Hwy 24 to Buena Vista. Before you get to the "T" where right takes you to BV and left goes to nathrop there are a couple gas stations. The big one on the left with the large dirt parking lot is Johnsons Villiage and that is where Gunsmoke resturant is located also.

seangillis11b
May 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
ok thanks maybe ill be there

white collar redneck dad
May 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have never driven chinamans gulch...i live in broomfield area---its just me -- would it possible for me to ride along?

Patrolman
May 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
The burrito is AWESOME....Come hungry!

If you are really hungry, get a Mr Ed!

Biscuits with gravy, hashbrowns on top, then 2 fried eggs, green chile, and cheese. Oh yum... :)

RZuk1
May 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have never driven chinamans gulch...i live in broomfield area---its just me -- would it possible for me to ride along?

As far as I'm concerned, you are more than welcome. I guess if you wanted a ride from Broomfield, you'd need to ask Gecko Cycles. We'll meet at 10:30 at the Gunsmoke truck stop. We'll aim to leave there for the trailhead around 10:45 to give people a chance to show up! Now I need to figure out how to "confirm on the calendar!"

RZuk1
May 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Whoops! I accidentally posted another event on the calendar, for OCG! If you confirm, confirm the OCG event, not the one labeled "Chinaman". 10:30 at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village...

Chris
May 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'll delete the Chinaman one and leave OCG

Gecko Cycles
May 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm already up here in Fairplay. I got here at 7 last night. Looks like my friend wants to ride along with me this time.
Going fishing after the ride and look at Wheeler probably tomorrow or maybe late today but I doubt it. Guess it depends if we are catching anything.