PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel like doing something harder?

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hey all,

So I've had a lot of fun doing the trails we have put together so far, but I've been itching to get on something a bit harder. KB, Andy and I did Left Hand before the Pole Hill/Bunce run on Sunday, and that was a step in the right direction, but I'd love to do something harder and longer (thats always a good thing right?). Something like Chinamans or maybe Crystal Mountain once the snow melts for another week.

The one stipulation is that, while all are welcome, there is the chance that some of you may not be able to make it up, or would incur minor to major damage to your vehicle doing so. I don't mean to exclude at all, but its fun to get out and do something a bit harder for the more built rigs. I'd love to see Brody's rig do something he doesn't have to back over to have fun and such.

I'm completely open to ideas about when and where to go. I'm not talking about something like Carnage BV or Independence, just something a couple largish steps up from China Wall. I'm going to Moab with a Sammy crew at the end of the month (not my trip otherwise I'd invite ya'll) but would love to get out before then too. We don't have any trips planned for the rest of April, so it might be nice to get out again this month. I am currently completely open to any date right now, as I have no work and can go wheeling whenever. Here are a few ideas about what I would want to try though:

Chinaman Gulch (near Buena Vista):
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1

Crystal Mountain (20 miles North of Loveland, the plains version not the ski area):
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=73

Eagle Rock (south and west of Colorado Springs):
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=39

All of these should be fine for wheeling this time of year and definitely doable. They are also relatively close (as in withing a couple hours drive from Denver). Let me know what you guys think.

JH

WINKY
April 21st, 2009, 02:59 AM
Hey sounds good man! I know there are many trails brutus could never do and that is ok. For me i wont be hurt if a run is made to a trail that only heavily modded rigs can do. I dont want to be the anchor that holds everyone back from doing really tough trails beyond my rigs capacity. (i know im not being singled out here :p) if anything i could be a good tow vehicle if needed. But if you want to take a harder trail post it up and those that can make it with a capable rig will chime in. im surte no one here will have their feelings hurt... lol

Screweder
April 21st, 2009, 03:04 AM
My feelings are hurt:mad: lol Just kiddin

Brody
April 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM
I am up for doing something harder...just don't know what the schedule is going to be, work wise, and I am going to be doing the Hydro as soon as I get the stuff.

I would say to post it up..I have done all but Crystal/Moody as when we went to run that I was on full manual steer by the time we got to the base of the trail.See hydro above...

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Although Chinaman is my favorite trail that is open now it is 3 hours drive for me and I think it would be great to do an overnigher on that one. Randy can ride with me on that one. He would surely not be able to make it but most shorter rigs should be OK with some minor body damage possible depending on lift and tires. I have done it many many times in all conditions so if you want to go on this one let me know how you are set up and I can let you know what it would take for you to do it. There is bypasses for most obstacles but there is a couple of tight spots where sliders would be nice the longer your rig is.

Moody/Crystal is doable for everyone here with no issues. The Quarry would be out for the squimish and Randy but you all can watch and it is optional.

Never done Eagle

JKimmel
April 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
I'd be interested :)

Ace
April 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
IN!

1st weekend of May I'm in Utah, other than that I'm game.

Need to figure out my smoking motor though. I burned a quart and a half last trip!
Before Sunday it didn't burn a drop for months.

Weird. I guess a valve seal could have broke, or I'm grasping at straws that a stuck PCV valve could cause such a thing. I was a quart and a half low hammering on that hill at the end. Lucky I didn't burn it up I guess. Driving down the canyon the oil pressure would drop when I turned left!

Brody
April 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Randy can ride with me on that one.

Uh, Ken...Randy is a big dude...I had to take him to the Auto store yesterday and then to my house to grab one of our cars in my rig. It was a tight fit :eek:and we were both laughing:lol::lol:. He had to slump down in the seat to keep his head from hitting the roof and his shoulders were almost touching because of the racing buckets I have in it. And you want to try to fit him n the Sammi???????? We almost got the camera out when he was in the Yota. You try to get him in the Sammi, I am gonna have to film it....:D

Never done Eagle

Eagle Rock/Saran Wrap are fun trails..about on par with Chinaman's, but with less rock and more tricky, very rutted off camber sections with turns. Other off shoots have hilly rocky section sections kinda like a smaller uphill version of the rock garden on Spring Creek. Fun trails, but I wouldn't take a long (full size) rig or a stocker on either of them.

gm4x4lover
April 21st, 2009, 06:41 AM
Fun trails, but I wouldn't take a long (full size) rig or a stocker on either of them.

I fit fine.:eek: Havent had any problems with a multitude of full size vehicles.

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
IN!

Need to figure out my smoking motor though. I burned a quart and a half last trip!

Weird. I guess a valve seal could have broke, or I'm grasping at straws that a stuck PCV valve could cause such a thing. I was a quart and a half low hammering on that hill at the end. Lucky I didn't burn it up I guess. Driving down the canyon the oil pressure would drop when I turned left!

That sucks. Hope it is just a valve guide seal being it is intermittent. I have another head on the 2 door. The head that Jonah gave me has a crack in it but could probably be welded fairly easy. I hope yours didn't crack too.

Oil pressure drop was just because it was low. We should of checked the oil level at trails end. I had a gallon of Synthetic with me.

I'm pulling my T-Case this morning. Leaks very bad now and I am hoping it isn't cracked but I can weld it. It is leaking behind the 4 bolt mount on the short side. I have the Spidertrax mounts.

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 06:50 AM
IN!

Eagle Rock/Saran Wrap are fun trails..about on par with Chinaman's, but with less rock and more tricky, very rutted off camber sections with turns. Other off shoots have hilly rocky section sections kinda like a smaller uphill version of the rock garden on Spring Creek. Fun trails, but I wouldn't take a long (full size) rig or a stocker on either of them.
Arg! I hate the off camber sections being I am so narrow but that never stopped me from trying anyway. I'll bring an extra pair of shorts! :lol:

Roostercruiser
April 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
i know the limits of my trucks and i have fun on trails on the moderate side and the easier side because i always have our kids with us. we all have different trux with different capapbilites. im never offended by not being able to go on certain trails. its all about having FUN in your own way:thunb:

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
These mellow trails that we have been running since I joined are great for family and to get out. There is not to many families that like to be scared and that is why you don't see lots of them in the well built rigs. I like doing them but also like more challenging ones too that test the rig and driving skills.

Most of all I like seeing the big smiles. Know your limits and the family will always want to go. Get all tippy and most families will stay home.

I wheel the hard stuff by myself and go do the easy ones with the family.

Roostercruiser
April 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
same here:)

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
i know the limits of my trucks and i have fun on trails on the moderate side and the easier side because i always have our kids with us. we all have different trux with different capapbilites. im never offended by not being able to go on certain trails. its all about having FUN in your own way:thunb:

Your Scout should be able to make it up stuff, especially if you do the SOA. I was impressed with how Steve'sv(scoutman) did completely stock though too. These trails aren't so hard that alot of you couldn't get up it. Just a bit of lift and some bigger tires might be needed.

JH

Chris
April 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
So I've had a lot of fun doing the trails we have put together so far, but I've been itching to get on something a bit harder.
<snip>
I don't mean to exclude at all, but its fun to get out and do something a bit harder for the more built rigs.

The only guideline I will mention that I would take issue with would be a "model x" run.

It's always good idea to provide info on the difficulty of the trail so people can decide whether or not it's appropriate for them.

Turning a difficult trail run into a recovery run due to bad judgment is never fun for anyone.

4Runninfun
April 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
i would give it a few weeks for eagle rock (see my mt herman post) there is going to be quite a bit of snow up there for at least a week if not two or three. Chinamans is a good option. if you want to camp there is great free camping right at the top of trout creek pass. thats where we camp. and i've never run moody so i can't comment on that one.

Funrover
April 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
OCG is awesome!! Eagle Rock I would give a little longer to let melt... the top is DEEP from what I am hearing

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
i would give it a few weeks for eagle rock (see my mt herman post) there is going to be quite a bit of snow up there for at least a week if not two or three. Chinamans is a good option. if you want to camp there is great free camping right at the top of trout creek pass. thats where we camp. and i've never run moody so i can't comment on that one.

Crystal/Moody is a fun run with decent challenge but not too hardcore. Harder then any of the trips I've been on with FR so far, but not beyond alot of people. A buddy in a stock Tahoe made it up Moody (but he got so Drunk while we camped that he couldn't wheel without hurling the next day so we didn't get to see him try Crystal). There is lots of camping up there if you want to make it an overnight trip too.

Sounds like there is a Slaughterhouse trip going on Saturday, which could actually lead into a Chinaman trip on Sunday if people wanted to go. We could drive up after Slaughterhouse and camp, since we are already a 3rd of the way there. Let me know what ya'll think.

JH

SCRubicon
April 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hey all,

So I've had a lot of fun doing the trails we have put together so far, but I've been itching to get on something a bit harder. KB, Andy and I did Left Hand before the Pole Hill/Bunce run on Sunday, and that was a step in the right direction, but I'd love to do something harder and longer (thats always a good thing right?). Something like Chinamans or maybe Crystal Mountain once the snow melts for another week.

The one stipulation is that, while all are welcome, there is the chance that some of you may not be able to make it up, or would incur minor to major damage to your vehicle doing so. I don't mean to exclude at all, but its fun to get out and do something a bit harder for the more built rigs. I'd love to see Brody's rig do something he doesn't have to back over to have fun and such.

JH

Shoot, I thought you were going to say Holy Cross, Independence Trail or Minesweeper...;)

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Shoot, I thought you were going to say Holy Cross, Independence Trail or Minesweeper...;)
I'm up for Holy Cross as soon as we get some snow melt. We had a blast last year. We camped and going up French Creek was my big challenge on 31's SPUA. It should be a bit easier this time but not much.

Never did the other trails.

scout man
April 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Crystal/Moody is a fun run with decent challenge but not too hardcore. Harder then any of the trips I've been on with FR so far, but not beyond alot of people. A buddy in a stock Tahoe made it up Moody (but he got so Drunk while we camped that he couldn't wheel without hurling the next day so we didn't get to see him try Crystal). There is lots of camping up there if you want to make it an overnight trip too.

Sounds like there is a Slaughterhouse trip going on Saturday, which could actually lead into a Chinaman trip on Sunday if people wanted to go. We could drive up after Slaughterhouse and camp, since we are already a 3rd of the way there. Let me know what ya'll think.

JH

Yea, lets keep in mind I made it up Crystal in my scout when it was stock... granted you had difficulty in your sammi at the time. Its still a great trail though, one I will definitely run again sometime this summer. I am definitely in for a harder run, assuming I can get my stuff running, and dont have to work.

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
The only guideline I will mention that I would take issue with would be a "model x" run.

It's always good idea to provide info on the difficulty of the trail so people can decide whether or not it's appropriate for them.

Turning a difficult trail run into a recovery run due to bad judgment is never fun for anyone.Trail Damage is a good one to go to for trail ratings. It is always a good idea to ask someone who has done the trail recently and describe your rig and driving level before attempting a new trail. There is usually some good photos of trail runs that should be looked at on both Trail Damage and Colo4x4. Trail Damage trip reports are usually old though.

Some ratings will give a range like 5 to 7. If you take by passes the hardest would be a 5 and 7 would be the hardest line you can take. Trails can and do change weekly too.

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM

I too would love to get up Holy Cross when it dries up a bit. As for Indy, not sure many of our rigs would make it down that intact. Minesweeper looks doable, if a bit nerve racking.

I still need a few things before I'm ready for some of the harder trails, a winch and at least a rear locker being the big two. Lower gears would be awesome too.

So anyone wanna give Chinaman a try on Sunday or is that something for another time?

JH

WINKY
April 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Gecko, i dont want the right seat so i dont have to pay for the damages of driving your zuki!!! I wont take you up on it. I will still take my rig out there to haul a few things but too for a recovery vehicle as my towing capacity is good. Ill just park it somewhere. (if this is a good idea) But i am going to see when jeremy (jkimmel) will be ready to put his injected 22re in his truck as i am his second set of hands.

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Gecko, thanks for the right seat! I will take you up on it. I will still take my rig out there to haul a few things but too for a recovery vehicle as my towing capacity is good. Ill just park it somewhere. (if this is a good idea) But i am going to see when jeremy (jkimmel) will be ready to put his injected 22re in his truck as i am his second set of hands.Right seat my butt, You're driving, that way you can pay for the carnage! LOL.

Great we can through in the cooler, BBQ and big tent in the back of your truck.

WINKY
April 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
i dont know what your talking about...?? i clearly posted i dont want the right seat for that specific reason... see my post above yours again....:lol:

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey All,

I posted this up on the Calender for April 26th so, if you want to go, check that out. It'll be a run to Chinaman Gulch, with camping the night before planned after the Slaughterhouse Gulch run. Open to ideas on where to camp if there is none at the Trail Head. You are also welcome to drive up the morning of, and we will meet at Johnson's Village at 10am and leave for the trail by 10:30am. Not sure if anyone actually wants to go, but I guess we'll see.

JH

Brody
April 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Might be up for Chinaman's...depends on it the PSC stuff comes in Friday and what LaDawns's schedule is. Fun trail, though I doubt we would be camping. Probably meet everyone at Johnsons..

I'll post/RSVP if we are going to go..

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Looks like all is good here. The Sammy is living again. These things are so easy to work on.
I doubt that I will do Slaughterhouse but will do Chinaman. You can camp out at the trailhead or there is a couple of campgrounds nearby including a KOA if you feel like you need to pay or hook up too.
Guess I need to try to get my wheeling lights on so we can do a night run better. I maybe even do an early morning run. 10:30 is like noon to me. LOL.
I'll call my friend who lives in Fairplay and see if he is up for something. He drinks way too much and rarely leaves the house. It is really sad. I can hardly take it. :( I've known him for 30 years.

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
i dont know what your talking about...?? i clearly posted i dont want the right seat for that specific reason... see my post above yours again....:lol:Damn I guess I better go back to school and learn to read and comprehend. Did you edit it just to make me feel dumb?
To me the right seat is the passenger seat or is that the "wrong" seat? :lol:

Gecko Cycles
April 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
i dont know what your talking about...?? i clearly posted i dont want the right seat for that specific reason... see my post above yours again....:lol:

You are messin with my head.
Originally Posted by DEEZLPWR http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32397#post32397)
Gecko, thanks for the right seat! I will take you up on it.

You almost got me! :lol:

Funrover
April 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Holy Cross - FUN
Iron Chest - on the list
Minesweeper - I'll take your rig Steve LOL

WINKY
April 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Damn I guess I better go back to school and learn to read and comprehend. Did you edit it just to make me feel dumb?
To me the right seat is the passenger seat or is that the "wrong" seat? :lol:

nah not makin ya feel dumb, just pullin yer leg :D and yes i did edit it to mess with your mind....

billsbar
April 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Looks like all is good here. The Sammy is living again. These things are so easy to work on.
I doubt that I will do Slaughterhouse but will do Chinaman. You can camp out at the trailhead or there is a couple of campgrounds nearby including a KOA if you feel like you need to pay or hook up too.
Guess I need to try to get my wheeling lights on so we can do a night run better. I maybe even do an early morning run. 10:30 is like noon to me. LOL.
I'll call my friend who lives in Fairplay and see if he is up for something. He drinks way too much and rarely leaves the house. It is really sad. I can hardly take it. :( I've known him for 30 years.

yep thats Fairplay but hell they now have a bowling alley so now they have a place to drink other then the Park bar . My cousin is the Park County Sheriff and a good buddy of mine for the part 26 years is the police chief of Fairplay. So if the timing is right at least I have a place to park my truck and trailer. AND they have a new Best Western. Nice place we stayed there during the Ladies Run ( Harley ralley) last year the week they opened. LOL We were the first in the new room I even had to hook up the TV.

Haku
April 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM

Unless you are gonna bring your RV, I don't feel the need to go to a KOA or whatever. I'm fine with just finding a spot in the woods or the trail head or whatever. So have I one kind of confirmation and one maybe, guess we'll see where it goes from there. If its a crew of early risers we can always change the time to get out on the trail. I never sleep past 8am when I am camping anyways.

JH

Brody
April 22nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
He drinks way too much and rarely leaves the house. It is really sad. I can hardly take it. :( I've known him for 30 years.

We know some folks like that, too. Sad, because at some point you have done everything that you can possibly do for them and can't do anything else but be a spectator....

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
We know some folks like that, too. Sad, because at some point you have done everything that you can possibly do for them and can't do anything else but be a spectator....At least they don't over drink like a fifth a night or something. They just go to bed at 7:30 so I doubt that they will wake up dead some day.
They are actually kind of light weights as drinkers go but still get drunk every night and wake up with a shot.
They have a pretty nice place on 5ac with several out buildings, 2000 sq ft log house and a wood framed T-Pee that is really cool.
They are still really good friends of mine till they start getting in their own zone.

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Unless you are gonna bring your RV, I don't feel the need to go to a KOA or whatever. I'm fine with just finding a spot in the woods or the trail head or whatever. So have I one kind of confirmation and one maybe, guess we'll see where it goes from there. If its a crew of early risers we can always change the time to get out on the trail. I never sleep past 8am when I am camping anyways.

JHI doubt that I will bring the RV unless someone else wants to share gas money. At 8 mpg it just isn't worth it for one over night. I wish I had a bigger trailer that would hold at least 2 or more rigs. I have access to a 16' but that will only hold one.
There is a very big area at the trail head and along the road to Carnage. I have seen a dozen campers there before. I personally would be concerned about leaving anything unattended at the trail head but that is just me. I have never heard of any problems but I'm not totally informed.

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
The trail head is only about a mile from the Johnson's gas station/liqueur store just north of 24.

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
If no more than Josh and myself are going to go then I will go party with the Zombies at Slaughter House and crash at my GF's. LOL.

Brody
April 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
We won't be doing Chinaman's unless I get the PSC power steering pump and reservoir mounted up Saturday, providing I have it to install, that is. I am usually down to manual steering at about the middle of the trail with the stock pump and it is just too much of a PITA.

I may change my mind and just run street pressure, which helps, but I was just about on manual on the Ploe Hill run. Could barely turn by the time we got to Bunce School...

Brody
April 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
So the meeting time and place is at Johnson Village at 10AM?
Like I said, if I get all the crap from PSC tomorrow as expected, I'll be able to do the install Saturday and we will probably go if LaDawn doesn't pick up some work.

Just trying to get some clarification as to time and place here....

Haku
April 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
So the meeting time and place is at Johnson Village at 10AM?
Like I said, if I get all the crap from PSC tomorrow as expected, I'll be able to do the install Saturday and we will probably go if LaDawn doesn't pick up some work.

Just trying to get some clarification as to time and place here....

Thats the plan, but its just you me and KB wanting to go right now, so if we want an earlier start then thats fine too. But yes, as it stands right now the plan is to meet at Johnsons's Village at 10am and head up to the trail at 10:30am. I'm fine with changing that though. I'm going to make another post that is clearer that we are actually going too.

JH

Jeepin Chef
April 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well Well ... Been a little while but im game to back into the swing of things...

Haku
April 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Well Well ... Been a little while but im game to back into the swing of things...

Always a good thing. We have a trip planned for this Sunday up to Chinaman Gulch if you are interested. More the merrier, so it'd be great to have ya.

JH

Gecko Cycles
April 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Boulder Carnage was my benchmark testing area, 25 mins away. Then they closed it and now I have to drive to OCG. SO PISSED!!!!!

I'm getting really bored now so I should head up LH and play. Go see the Challenge Route and come back down Fireman's. I better post up on colo4x4 and see if anyone wants to go today.

Chris
April 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I better post up on colo4x4

What is this colo4x4 you refer to? Never heard of it :erm:

Haku
April 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Boulder Carnage was my benchmark testing area, 25 mins away. Then they closed it and now I have to drive to OCG. SO PISSED!!!!!

I'm getting really bored now so I should head up LH and play. Go see the Challenge Route and come back down Fireman's. I better post up on colo4x4 and see if anyone wants to go today.

Have you left yet? I could be up for a run up LHC today. I'll give you a call too.

JH

Gecko Cycles
April 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
What is this colo4x4 you refer to? Never heard of it :erm:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/index.php