PDA

View Full Version : Pole/Bunce/Ironclads Sunday 4/19

Brody
April 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
We are doing a run to the Pole Road Trail this next Sunday as it sounded like a lot of fun. What I would like to do is to do the same thing that Ken and crew did yesterday: Pole Road then back towards Denver via Hwy7 and hit Bunce and the Ironclads on the way back home.

We are meeting here: Meet at the McDonald's at I-25 exit 240.

At this time: 9:00AM

Leaving McDonalds at this time: 9:30

We will be at the trailhead at around 10:00 if people need to come from another direction.

Here are the traildamage.com links:

Pole Road:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

Bunce School/Ironclads:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=175

smalls2010
April 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Man I am really wanting to go, but i have prom the night before, so i dont know when i will be awaek on sunday haha. Any chance I can meet up with you all at ironclads?

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Just forget about sleeping, we'd like to see you in your tux! :D

Roostercruiser
April 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
im working doh

4Runninfun
April 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
just call it the formal four wheel trip! that'd be sweet lol! brody i'm in as long as my truck is sorted out.

Chris
April 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm going to try but have been recruited to build a backyard playground for the grandkids. Probably won't know til saturday.

1freaky1
April 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Man I am really wanting to go, but i have prom the night before, so i dont know when i will be awaek on sunday haha. Any chance I can meet up with you all at ironclads?

Shoot you're young do like some of us old guys work all night and still go wheelin!:thunb:

Haku
April 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM

hehee......both sleep and the prom are overated, you definitely need to come wheeling. Heck, bring your date (if she's still talking to you). Seems like a good area to take the squeamish.

On another note, I'm tentatively in as long as nothing comes up. Deezle and I were gonna get together to suss out my carbs a bit, but I'd rather go wheeling and I imagine he would too. They work well enough to be getting on with I suppose.

JH

billsbar
April 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
put me in as a maybe, I'm dog sitting my buddy's dog this weekend. Not sure if i can leave it inside that long with mine. Guess we will see how Fri and Sat goes with it. But it is a very rare Sunday because the wife also will have the day off so this would be great.

WINKY
April 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Haku, we can look at yer carbs friday afternoon, that way we both can go sunday!!

IM GOING SUNDAY ON THE TRAILS!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! not being oncall is nice.

i figured out the road it is hwy 66/weld county road 30

Haku
April 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
put me in as a maybe, I'm dog sitting my buddy's dog this weekend. Not sure if i can leave it inside that long with mine. Guess we will see how Fri and Sat goes with it. But it is a very rare Sunday because the wife also will have the day off so this would be great.

I bet there is room for a decent sized dog in the back of the Samurai, just bring one or both along for the ride. I know mine was fine when i took him out, if a bit unhappy about getting jounced around. It would definitely be cool to meet some more Samurai folk. I've met Jeff, but have only been wheeling with KB.

Randy, sounds good man, let me know when to come by. Not sure how much we'll get accomplished but we'll see. I'll see if I can get my wideband o2 sensor and gauge working by then too. Should help with tuning the pilot adjust screws a bit. Oh, and I currently can come any other time this week too if it works better for you. Ahhh the joys of unemployment. Now they just need to pass a bill that doubles the payments so I can afford to play more.

JH

RockyMtnHigh
April 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I might be in on this, my dad was flying up so we could go to Moab this week, but had some medical expenses that came up. He's still coming up though and I did want to take him wheeling at least once while he was here.

Brody
April 13th, 2009, 06:18 AM

AH come on! I don't want to do a 'back when I was your age' thing, but I am...Back when I was your age (like 1968-69), I figured that I would just sleep when I was dead...partied all night, worked all day..got by on 3-4 hours of sleep all the time. I couldn't even spell 'moderation' back then and I was pretty much a walking, talking self testing drug and alcohol experiment...

Shoot me a PM with your phone number and let me know where you are going to coming from. I'll call you when we leave Pole Road or are on our way out of Estes Park. I know I get cell at Estes and don't at Bunce School, so there is just a narrow window. We are probably going to be 40-50 minutes away from Bunce/Ironclads when we get to Estes, which is about the driving time from Boulder.

Hope to see you!

Anyway: Channel 4 on the CB. My cell is 303-507-3066

WINKY
April 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
drink a ton of redbull and coffee. get a hour or two of sleep and bring everyone out. youll be fine. i dont miss my prom cause i never had one!!!

Brody
April 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Randy...you aren't alone. I quit my senior year when I found out that I only needed 3 credits to graduate...well, quit isn't exactly the right word...I had just spent 3 months in County lock up due to being busted for a combustible substance and they wouldn't let me back in school anyway...so I did the night school/GED thing, then later went on to get a couple of degrees...The lady I was dating back then(1969) was black and if we had gone to the prom, I probably would've gotten into another fight anyway...no great loss...Never mind the fact that after I moved out of the house (due to the same problems as mentioned), every night was a prom/party night...minus the fancy dress of course....

Coffee and Red Bull, you'll be fine. Besides...anyone that can ride a unicycle on Moab trails shouldn't let a night of fun and no sleep slow 'em down...What are you...some sort of woosie or something? Stand up for your generation! It's not like you are going to have to have the same reaction times and balance wheeling that you do on the uni...

Gecko Cycles
April 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I think he is standing up for his generation. SLEEP TILL 2PM!
My son would never wake up if I didn't get him up.
It is hard if you fall asleep so you just have to stay up.

These punks these days have no idea how to party I guess. LOL. Looks like us few old folks here need to school them. Like I said earlier in another post, "If my youth didn't kill me, old age doesn't stand a chance." I won't even go into what I did after the Prom but I can tell you I watched the sun rise, again!

As for Randy making the Ironclads, HMMMMM. I saw lots of tree scars, there will be some tight spots for sure. I was scoping it out for you when we did it and I mentioned to the group if they thought Brutus could make it. Bring a chainsaw and some loppers for the high or should I say low branches too. LOL.

I may meet you up there. I was thinking about doing Lefthand and Firemans at 7 am. Not sure yet. I have no work to speak of so I will probably be putting a cage in my Sammy for the next couple of days being it is warm.

H3_Mafia
April 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I might go snowboarding... IF not I'll be up for this run! :D

Roostercruiser
April 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
ill be camping this weekend and do some weelin aroun the camp site or slaughter house maybe

scout man
April 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
hmmm, thinking I should sit this one out... catch you all on the next one!

cfr
April 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Two questions:

1) What are the trail conditions?

I saw the pics but am looking for a summary. I don't trust the stock Goodyear SR-As that came on the Jeep in mud or snow. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't appreciate the difference between all-terrain and mud-terrain.

I ran Pole Hill road about a month ago when there was no snow. Bumped the underside a few times on the first rocky hill. Also ran parts of Bunce School Road and Ironclads on the same day.

On Pole Hill road,

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1027

Turned around on the lower part of Bunce when the snowbanks crossed the road. Also turned around on the right side of the loop at Ironclads as there was some ice and the trees were tight. I bounced off a rock and almost slid into a tree. Couldn't get up the rock shelf on the left side of the loop.

2) Anyone else planning to bring kids (or a kid-friendly dog)?

My boys (6 and 9 yrs) are still learning to appreciate wheeling. Hoping a fun-filled day will help them along.

Haku
April 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The more the merrier I say, and a well behaved doggy friend is always welcome in my book. I'm sure those tires will be fine, and even if you get stuck there will be plenty of people to help you get unstuck. There are at least two winches on the trip and lots of tow straps. If you did it a month ago you should be fine now I would think. The snow has had plenty of time to melt and turn into mud, which is fun too.

JH

WINKY
April 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
ive got all the recovery gear needed minus winch (mounted that is) so youll be fine. I actually enjoy helping get people unstuck!

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Heck, I have two winches on my heap, so I guess we have more than that...Shouldn't experience any major drama...and they will be quite a few spotters. No one likes to see body damage on someone elses' rig if they can help it...

And you might just want to let a little more air out of the tires...it makes quite a difference, even running the crappy stock tires...there are quite a few compressors along, too...My wife should talk to yours (I'll tone her down on the 'expense' part of the tires) about how much difference after market tires make. Nice thing is that if you are only going slightly bigger...say up to 31s or 32s or even 33s, you can find these all day long on craigslist for good prices. People almost always go up in size, so there is a slew of 35 and under tires to be had.

Roostercruiser
April 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
brody with my wieght how air pressure can i safely go down to before i worry popping a bead?

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Two questions:

I saw the pics but am looking for a summary. I don't trust the stock Goodyear SR-As that came on the Jeep in mud or snow. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't appreciate the difference between all-terrain and mud-terrain.

I ran Pole Hill road about a month ago when there was no snow. Bumped the underside a few times on the first rocky hill. Also ran parts of Bunce School Road and Ironclads on the same day.

On Pole Hill road,

Turned around on the lower part of Bunce when the snowbanks crossed the road. Also turned around on the right side of the loop at Ironclads as there was some ice and the trees were tight. I bounced off a rock and almost slid into a tree. Couldn't get up the rock shelf on the left side of the loop.

2) Anyone else planning to bring kids (or a kid-friendly dog)?

My boys (6 and 9 yrs) are still learning to appreciate wheeling. Hoping a fun-filled day will help them along.

The trail is in fine shape . We had to look for some snow patches to play in. Andy and I ran everything in 2 low most of the trip Sat. We were looking for some slideways excitement though.
My 2 boys are out of town. This is a great group and will always help out no matter what the level of experience or rig you have. Don't worry about it and get out and have some fun. No one is looking for body damage but the more you wheel the more the chances will go up that you will at some point get some though. Tires are the most important thing for traction, then gears and lockers. You want to be able to go down steep trails and not touch your brakes enough to slide a wheel. Expect body damage and hope for none. If it will upset you more than you can handle that you damaged your rig then you shouldn't take it on a trail and stick to dirt roads.
These are easy trails and you should be fine and come out with no damage. Keep on the radio and listen to the spotter and above all relax and have some fun.

Trail conditions change constantly so there is really no way of knowing what they are unless someone just finished doing it and no weather has moved in since.

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
brody with my wieght how air pressure can i safely go down to before i worry popping a bead?
:lol: That's a loaded question!:lol:

Both Andy and I had aired down to 6 lbs and Jeff was at 8 trying to get through Rock Creek. Left them aired down the rest of the day. I don't believe any of us aired down for Pole Hill but I can't remember for sure.

I know that doesn't do you any good.

1freaky1
April 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=cfr;30554]Two questions:

On Pole Hill road,

Turned around on the lower part of Bunce when the snowbanks crossed the road. Also turned around on the right side of the loop at Ironclads as there was some ice and the trees were tight. I bounced off a rock and almost slid into a tree. Couldn't get up the rock shelf on the left side of the loop.[QUOTE]

As for your summary go check out www.traildamage.com (http://www.traildamage.com) and look up the trails you want an idea on, they are fairly close to the ratings if they have been run in the past 6 months, once in a while they miss it due to not being run in a few yrs. I learned this one after a few good rock bounces I went on a couple trais that was rated 3-4 and found out they were currently 6-8. As for your tire dilema, here in the next couple weeks I may be selling my 33s and wheels which will fit your jeep then you could have a set of street tires and a set of wheeling tires if interested.

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
As to how low can you go air pressure wise..as Ken said, it is a loaded question...literally...

Depending on the weight of the vehicle and what tires you are running, you can air down to somewhere around 10 pounds without worrying about popping a bead....usually. BUT...if the trail is really really rocky, you will end up 'burping' air out of your tires as you drive over the rocks, getting lower and lower in the air pressure. On a heavier rig, this is going to happen more and more.

If you are running stock or a light after market tire, like a standard mud terrain type tire, the sidewalls are going to be thinner and you will get more flex at a higher air pressure than if you were running a heavier tire with thicker sidewalls. As a for instance, my Toyo MTs that I had on my rig before the Nittos (and I am taking 37x14.50x15 vs 38x15.50x15 here), I could air the Toyos down to 16 lbs and have some decent flex. With the Nittos, airing them down to 16 barely showed any sidewall flex. To get the same flex, I have to air the Nittos down to 10lbs. The Nittos actually flex very well with them aired down to below 10lbs. A stock or mud terrain tire will work very well aired down to 16 lbs without any problem with the bead. Swampers and heavier sidewall tires will work better aired down to below this.

What I would suggest doing is to try the tires at 16 lbs or so if the trail looks challenging (ie rocky or snowy) and see if you can actually see the flex in the sidewalls and see how they do. I will run the Nittos at 20lbs a lot of the time even though I don't see a noticeable flex in the sidewalls simply for the trail comfort. You probably won't have any bead popping problems with any tire unless you get down under 10 lbs. Randy and some of the folks with way heavy rigs like yours will have to just experiment a bit, but this will serve as rule of thumb. The little light weight Sammis can air down way lower for the same reason: they are so lightweight that they don't flex until they are aired down under 10 lbs.

You will hear people talk about 'airing down' to 20 lbs, but that doesn't really help traction wise...it merely provides a more cushy ride on the bumps. 16 lbs or below is were you actually start to see a traction difference.

And cfr: if you get some rock rails, you will eliminate a lot of the posible damage to the Jeep that would be expensive. The other couple of weak points, body damage wise, are the rear quarter panels, the front fenders and the windshield pillars..all of which can be readily addressed with available after market bolt ons from a lot of different suppliers...

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
If I recall Roland had BFG Radial A/T's. The XJ's I talked to on Carnage Boulder were airing them down to 17 and I could hardly see them move.
I agree with Pete that tire pressure is something you have to experiment with and get a feel for the trail you are doing at the time. If it is relatively flat with no tippy and minimal rock sections like Pole and Bunce you could air down more than say on Chinaman or Wheeler Lake.

1freaky1
April 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
So Pete with what you are saying there I have basically been wasting my time airing down to 20#s with my tires as far as traction is concerned? I have not gone any lower due the fear of popping the beads hmmm I am going to have see what happens going lower then. Another thing I noticed not mentioned yet is that the higher you go inaltitude the tire pressure increases, with my Extremes I normally run them at 32#s down here and by the time I hit like Georgetown they are already at 40#s.

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I usually only air down to a good comfort level. For my Sammy that is about 17. If I am slipping way more than not and need the traction I can go down from there if I feel it is worth the effort airing back up again. The main reason I leave it higher is that I don't want to loose any ground clearance unless I have to being only having 31's.

20 will give you some traction compared to 32 for sure but not as much as say 14 or lower.

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Please note new meeting place for this run:

We are now meeting at the Safeway/Starbucks store parking lot in Boulder on the main drag (stay on the Boulder Turnpike) on the way to Lyons. This is the LAST store on the LEFT side of the road on your way out of town. There is a Checkers sign preceeding the Safeway sign and a gas station on the corner.

We are still meeting at 9:00 and leaving the lot at 9:30 or a little before that.

Thanks to cfr for the input on this! I just used the traildamage meeting place and he spotted it and PM'd me. The traildamage meeting spot would've had everyone driving an additional 40 minutes or better to get to the same spot....

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Please note new meeting place for this run:

We are now meeting at the Safeway/Starbucks store parking lot in Boulder on the main drag (stay on the Boulder Turnpike) on the way to Lyons. This is the LAST store on the LEFT side of the road on your way out of town. There is a Checkers sign preceeding the Safeway sign and a gas station on the corner.

We are still meeting at 9:00 and leaving the lot at 9:30 or a little before that.

Thanks to cfr for the input on this! I just used the traildamage meeting place and he spotted it and PM'd me. The traildamage meeting spot would've had everyone driving an additional 40 minutes or better to get to the same spot....

please edit your first post, to eliminate possible confusion. :thunb:

Chris
April 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Pete, make sure to change the calendar info too.

Brody
April 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Jon and Chris...I did that first of all. Just trying to double post so people know I screwed up and won't go to the wrong spot.....

Jon-you go on this and don't want to drive all the way back down to Monument, you can stay at our place Sunday evening...

4Runninfun
April 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
thanks for the offer. we'll see how sunday goes.

Gecko Cycles
April 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
This is truly an amazing Safeway too. It is a pilot store and rivals Whole Foods in the way it is laid out and their organic produce at very reasonable prices.

Haku
April 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Whoo hooo.........winter storm watch for Thursday into Friday with a potential for 10-20 inches of wet snow. Sounds like a combination for fun to me. Should make for some fun mud conditions on these trails after a few days of melting.

JH

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
If that weather comes in it increases my odds of making this run. I'm committed to helping my son-in-law build a swing set for the grandkids but that won't happen if the weather's not good. :D

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
If that weather comes in it increases my odds of making this run. I'm committed to helping my son-in-law build a swing set for the grandkids but that won't happen if the weather's not good. :D

*snow dance for chris* :thunb:

H3_Mafia
April 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Just curious... about how long a day will these Trails take?

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Pole Road, my guess is that it will take roughly 4 hours minus driving time. Bunce, etc is on the back way (Hwy 7) from Estes and just before the road that splits to go to Nederland and S St Vrain Canyon to Lyons. Bunce and the Iron clads take about 2 hours or you can head back towards town.

Of course, any snow we get on the roads and the trail will add to that.

Since GeckoCycles just ran it, maybe he can come up with better times. I have never done Pole Road, so I am just going off of the length of the trail. I have done Bunce and Ironclads many times in many different conditions..

Gecko Cycles
April 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
It all depends on the weather and how many people are going.
I left Louisville at 8:30 and didn't get back till 6:15. We did Rock Creek and all got stuck though and also down another trail that isn't on the agenda. I drove 111 miles.

Gecko Cycles
April 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I don't think we spent more than 2 hrs on Pole. There is nothing technical on it really. A few off chutes that you can explore. We basically did a loop and one dead end.

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Here is the traildamage link to Rock Creek. I haven't run this one, either...

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=244

billsbar
April 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
now they are sayin 1 to 3 feet of snow

Gecko Cycles
April 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Here is the traildamage link to Rock Creek. I haven't run this one, either...

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=244
We sure could of used you to bash a line for us.

If Billsbar goes I will go for sure. I would love to see it get dirty. :lol:

Oh yea I forgot. I got my cage in, well at least the A and B hoop and got them tied together. The rear C hoop isn't fitting and will have to be made from scratch but I didn't have the tubing. Looks like I need a 12' and 2 4'er's and 2 3'er's. I am going to try to fit 2 diagonals on the sides from mid B to bottom A and a cross between the 2 B uprights still. Sammy is a bit tweaked so it took longer than I expected, as usual, and I may change the top pieces to get some more head room but I am a symmetrical guy and making something fit that I have to look at that isn't symmetrical may just bug me more than hitting my head on a tube. LOL

Brody
April 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Good morning! Ain't it grand waking up before 5AM whether you want to or not?

Gecko Cycles
April 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I got up at 3. LOL

Brody
April 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Me at 4...I remember when I used to be ale to sleep until at least 5 or 5:30...doesn't seem to make a difference when I go to bed either...

Gecko Cycles
April 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Nope me either. I'm a morning kind of guy. Go to bed when it gets dark most of the time anyway but still get up well before 5.

I hope it does snow 1' to 3' but you won't see me counting on it. Remember last week when they said we would wake up to 12" new and didn't get a drop? That cost me an hour reloading my truck to the 4x for work that Sat morn.

Chris
April 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Good morning! Ain't it grand waking up before 5AM whether you want to or not?

I got up at 3. LOL

I'm the late riser this morning, 5:30 ;)

Gecko Cycles
April 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM
:DYou NEED more beauty sleep than us naturally cute guys!

Chris
April 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I won't argue that :lol:

Brody
April 16th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I won't argue that :lol:

Neither will any of the rest of us!

H3_Mafia
April 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Pole Road, my guess is that it will take roughly 4 hours minus driving time. Bunce, etc is on the back way (Hwy 7) from Estes and just before the road that splits to go to Nederland and S St Vrain Canyon to Lyons. Bunce and the Iron clads take about 2 hours or you can head back towards town.

Of course, any snow we get on the roads and the trail will add to that.

Since GeckoCycles just ran it, maybe he can come up with better times. I have never done Pole Road, so I am just going off of the length of the trail. I have done Bunce and Ironclads many times in many different conditions..

Thanks Brody! And "if" we get this weekend snowstorm it will definately add to the adventure of this Run! :D

WINKY
April 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
i just got up!:p

WINKY
April 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
BRING CAMERAS!!! everyone take pics of everyone else that way all peeps are covered!!! :D

AboveNBeyond
April 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Well Ummm.... So is this a rain/snow/or shine?

Brody
April 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hey...Colorado, you know...probably get all three...I am bringing clothes for anything....as I usually do anyway...

AboveNBeyond
April 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe I should have added more words...

Is this going to happen rain/snow/or shine?

Brody
April 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe I should have added more words...

Is this going to happen rain/snow/or shine?

To answer your question in one word....YES

AboveNBeyond
April 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
OK Good... I will continue to plan on being there... lol

WINKY
April 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
i think we should put a disclaimer on the site telling about runs will be ran no matter what, unless the world decided to blow up....

Brody
April 18th, 2009, 05:21 AM
i think we should put a disclaimer on the site telling about runs will be ran no matter what, unless the world decided to blow up....

Hey Chris

I agree with this. If a run is scheduled, especially with the RSVP section, you can tell who is going or not, so cancelling a run sort of negates itself if there are still folks going. I would do just like Randy suggested..."come hell or hot water" (or in Colorado "Cold and cold water"..I think the "hell, etc" probably is a Texas saying) the trail runs as posted will be run...

A national disaster would preclude posting or doing something fun anyway as people would have their hands full of other stuff....

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Now that the snow has come I am in for sure. I have to get all my things bolted back in the back. I took everything out to put the cage in.

Brody
April 18th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Great to hear the you are going to make it, Ken! Looking forward to seeing you again and watching the Sammi hike stuff us heavier rigs sink into! Glad to hear that you got the cage in, too!

See you then!

Ace
April 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Now that the snow has come I am in for sure. I have to get all my things bolted back in the back. I took everything out to put the cage in.

Cool, 80lb roll cage, sliders, a heavier winch, a big ol 33" spare way out back and a big heavy bumper on the back and then you'll get stuck quicker like my big pig!:D

Found a weather web cam in estes:

http://www.estesparkweather.net/index.php

Looks like no more than a foot of snow... Hope it doesn't all melt by Sunday!

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Give me time. I think I will doing 35's though because i'm going to stick those FJ40 axles in too. I'm sticking with the 5500# winch but may replace the 3000 and get another one for the rear. I do need to get the sliders and a rear bumper. I will certainly out weigh you then.

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Great to hear the you are going to make it, Ken! Looking forward to seeing you again and watching the Sammi hike stuff us heavier rigs sink into! Glad to hear that you got the cage in, too!

See you then!
You need the tall tires to snow bash. Swath did pretty well with his skinny Super Swampers though.

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Weather report looks like another 10" today in Estes. I'm sure it will be raining later today and wash some down. Supposed to be nearly 60 tomorrow. Looks like a great day. Bring some Coco.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Give me time. I think I will doing 35's though because i'm going to stick those FJ40 axles in too.

Hey Ken, FJ60/62 axles are 1.5" wider and much stronger than the FJ40 axles. Just something to think about, probably easier to find too. The 62's are beefier as well.

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hey Ken, FJ60/62 axles are 1.5" wider and much stronger than the FJ40 axles. Just something to think about, probably easier to find too. The 62's are beefier as well.
I know and the ones after 78 ? have disks. I have these 65 FJ40 that I got for free from here. That is why I signed up here actually. These have the 11? spline weaker axles but I think they will be fine for the weight of the Sammy. They have huge double slave cylinder drum brakes too. I would like to have disks but again the Sammy is so lite that these may work OK. I certainly don't like the 9.5" ring gear. That is going to require that I have at least 33" tire just to net me the same 3rd member clearance I have now with my 31's. They do have 4.10's I think. Being I got these for free than it might be worth using and upgrading to disks. I am concerned about the availability of lockers for them too.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Can't beat free! Lockers are available but not a big selection and I forget the weight (or lack of) you Sammy guys deal with. I'm sure they'll be fine now that I give it a moments thought. Are you planning on an auto locker or selectable?

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I prefer the selectable type if I can afford it. Other wise go the other route.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Selectable for those means ARB, I'll keep my eyes open for you on the cruiser forum.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Saw that a bunch of proms were cancelled, how about yours?

smalls2010
April 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
alright well prom is still on, but i still want to go wheelin! you guys are all makin me fell like a little baby, so im plannin on being there haha.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Peer pressure is something you need to resist on prom night but not on trail runs. :lol:

billsbar
April 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
so the meeting place is the Safeway, now where is this Safeway. I kinga grew up in Boulder and ran our shop there fir 16 years, but stopped working AND going to Boulder about 10 years ago. So a little help here, the only Checker I remember was on 28th street. I'm guessing they turned the old KMart store at 28th and Iris into a Safeway is this correct and the meeting place or have they built something out off north broadway? If I'm gonna make this run I sure the hell don't want to show up at the wrong place.
Now lets see from Brighton to north Boulder in a Samurai 2 hours, 1 stop for gas, well it looks like I won't be sleeping in lol

WINKY
April 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
alright well prom is still on, but i still want to go wheelin! you guys are all makin me fell like a little baby, so im plannin on being there haha.

good man, gotta have your priorities right!

WINKY
April 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
so the meeting place is the Safeway, now where is this Safeway. I kinga grew up in Boulder and ran our shop there fir 16 years, but stopped working AND going to Boulder about 10 years ago. So a little help here, the only Checker I remember was on 28th street. I'm guessing they turned the old KMart store at 28th and Iris into a Safeway is this correct and the meeting place or have they built something out off north broadway? If I'm gonna make this run I sure the hell don't want to show up at the wrong place.
Now lets see from Brighton to north Boulder in a Samurai 2 hours, 1 stop for gas, well it looks like I won't be sleeping in lol

intersection of iris/28th boulder west side of 28th, south of iris.

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The myth, the Legend. I'll buy the Fat Tires.

CB channel 4 right? I prefer channel 1 being every time I turn mine off that is the channel it defaults too.

I was going to do Left Hand/ Fireman's before this run. Be at the trail head by 6:30 but with all this snow/rain I think it best that I not go alone. So I guess I'll take my time and meet at Safeway unless someone wants to join me for the early run. It will be really slick up there and Firemans may not be doable.

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Y'all have fun, looking forward to the report telling me how much fun I missed. I'll be tending to family stuff instead of playing in the snow.

Ace
April 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Gecko Cycles;

I was going to do Left Hand/ Fireman's before this run. Be at the trail head by 6:30 but with all this snow/rain I think it best that I not go alone. So I guess I'll take my time and meet at Safeway unless someone wants to join me for the early run. It will be really slick up there and Firemans may not be doable.[/QUOTE]

6:30 at the bottom of lefthand... I could be there. You still want to try it?

4Runninfun
April 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
i'm gonna have stick here tomorrow. few more minor issues to address on my truck. but at least at this rate i'll be all set as soon as the wheeling season gets going.

Gecko Cycles
April 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
6:30 at the bottom of lefthand... I could be there. You still want to try it?Well than I'm in for a try. See you at the trail head at 6:30.

Ace
April 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Well than I'm in for a try. See you at the trail head at 6:30.

Roger that KB, see ya 6:30 at lefthand...

Anyone else?

Haku
April 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in for the Sammy hatrick. Just gotta make sure I leave by 5am, which is doable. I'll see you two there.

JH

billsbar
April 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
HAKU I can add a couple of shocks to the shtuff I bring

Haku
April 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
That would be most excellent.....I owe ya one. It'll be neat to meet some of the other Samurai locals besides KB. Samurai represent!!!

JH

cfr
April 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM

This guy on Colorado4x4 tried Bunce today. Didn't go well -- Think he usually wheels alone though. Saw him on Switzerland trail once.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=146696

FYI

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Here I am at work DROOOOOLING...More pics please

Chris
April 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Moved the starter post to Trail Run reports :D

white collar redneck dad
May 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
hello cfr and all -- i have a 9 and 5 year kids..they love wheelin..anyone open for a trip back to bunce school on 5/9?