PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill April 4th

DETN8R
April 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Me, Chris, and August went up to Yankee Hill yesterday. None of the snow was really deep. My KM2s did SUPER good. I didnt have to take the rope at all. Infact only once did we have to pull out a strap.

http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/YankeeHill09/normal_DSC01285.JPG

http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/YankeeHill09/normal_DSC01288.JPG

August taking the strap.
http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/YankeeHill09/normal_DSC01289.JPG

I never go wheeling without some Spicy Nacho Doritos.
http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/YankeeHill09/normal_DSC01296.JPG

Chris did get in a tight spot. We aired him down and he was able to back up and we all turned around at this point.

http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/YankeeHill09/normal_DSC01298.JPG

Those are pretty much all the pics I got. I think Chris took some. It was a good day. I haven't been out wheeling much this last year so I always enjoy getting out when I can. I was hoping to hit some DEEP snow and finally use the winch but it never happened. Which I guess is a good thing.

WINKY
April 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
damnit i GOT TO WHEEL NEXT WEEKEND!!!

DETN8R
April 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Tell me about it. Thats the first time in weeks that I've gone wheeling.

H3_Mafia
April 5th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Looked like you guys had some fun!

Roostercruiser
April 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
nice pics looks like yall had fun. was the trail open all the way?

Brody
April 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Sweet! I was thinking about you guys when I was cutting and grinding my butt off...that sounds weird...I still have my butt, but the metal on my rig is altered...

Did Chris get to stress test those sliders?

Funrover
April 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Bummer.. Missed a good trip

Chris
April 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Nice, I really thought you'd run into some nasty weather, deep snow.

DETN8R
April 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
nice pics looks like yall had fun. was the trail open all the way?
I dont think we ran the whole trail but it definately seemed like it would be open

Did Chris get to stress test those sliders?
Dont think so. They looked great though.

scout man
April 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Thinking about an Easter day run possibly. I will have my new spring over to put to the test if anyone is interested. I will post something up when I am more sure about it.

Brody
April 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Ditto with the springs...gotta test mine out, too. Post it up and we'll see if we can go. Somewhat depends on LaDawn's work schedule, but better than digging for Easter eggs for sure!

1freaky1
April 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
For trail snacks I usually will take a bag of Fritos' cause if something happens I can alway use them to start a fire if needed!

DETN8R
April 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ah, a Survivorman fan I see.

WINKY
April 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
cottonballs and baby oil is what i use in my survival vest.

Brody
April 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Sanitizer hand cleaner is what I use, among other things. It is gel/alcohol based, spreads on like a runny toothpaste and burns long enough to start wet wood or tinder. Keeps hands clean, too...Wax and dryer lint packed in paper egg cartons work great also...lint into the individual egg sections, hot wax from dead candles into that..use as needed.

What's 'Survivorman'?

DETN8R
April 9th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Les Strouds TV show on The Discovery Channel.

Brody
April 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
OK...I don't watch any TV..neither does LaDawn...the TVs act as mini movie screens. I have heard that the Discovery and History channels are a couple that are actually worth watching...

WINKY
April 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
thats about all i watch if i do...

4Runner3Wheeler
April 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Survivorman actually gets after unlike that poser Bear Grils, what a drama queen.

WINKY
April 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
bear is itchin to die.... no one in their right mind would attempt most of what this guy does on the show. To survive in my book is minimizing risk and staying alive unhurt. Bear is just enjoying the free ride to exotic places and shows off on camera... he isnt a "survivor".

SCRubicon
April 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Bear? U.K. Special Forces, second dan black belt in Shotokan karate, summited Mount Everest.(18 months after he broke his back) I can only wish I'm in that kind of shape when I'm his age...oh wait... (Bear is 2 days younger than me) :D

Haku
April 9th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Bear? U.K. Special Forces, second dan black belt in Shotokan karate, summited Mount Everest.(18 months after he broke his back) I can only wish I'm in that kind of shape when I'm his age...oh wait... (Bear is 2 days younger than me) :D

.....completely insane and a horrible decision maker?

I can't believe some of the decisions that guy makes. I know, to get across this gully I'll descend using this skimpy tree and then jump 20 feet onto jumbly rocks.....only to find I can't get out any other way then following a freezing cold creek that I don't know where it will end up. Not the guy I want to be around when trying to survive through a bad situation. Definitely would take the other guy though.

JH

SCRubicon
April 10th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Bear does make some wacky decisions. He'll end up like Steve Irwin. Well, I doubt he'll be pierced in the chest by a stingray... But, eventually all of the unnecessary risks will catch up to him.

WINKY
April 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Yeah, Bear does make some wacky decisions. He'll end up like Steve Irwin. Well, I doubt he'll be pierced in the chest by a stingray... But, eventually all of the unnecessary risks will catch up to him.

i will agree with you on this. he may know allot but he does take too many risks. "instead of going the long way around this ridge i will just descend this extremely steep face of jagged rocks to save time" lol

I remember the episode where he was dropped off at the top of an alaskan summit and he had skis, poles and pack. Once he got down the snowpack by skiing, he ditched the skis and traversed the rocks only to find another slope of steep snow, so he broke the poles in half and slid down on his butt for like a 1/4mile using the poles to slow his dangerous descent and saying he wished he hadnt ditched the ski's due to them slowing him down and being heavy...... :bang::doh:

"Stupid is as Stupid does" -Forrest Gump

Brody
April 10th, 2009, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=DEEZLPWR;29915]i will agree with you on this. he may know allot but he does take too many risks. "instead of going the long way around this ridge i will just descend this extremely steep face of jagged rocks to save time" lol

I remember the episode where he was dropped off at the top of an alaskan summit and he had skis, poles and pack. Once he got down the snowpack by skiing, he ditched the skis and traversed the rocks only to find another slope of steep snow, so he broke the poles in half and slid down on his butt for like a 1/4mile using the poles to slow his dangerous descent and saying he wished he hadnt ditched the ski's due to them slowing him down and being heavy...... :bang::doh:

Actually, having been a climber for close to 40 years, this is a pretty common way to descend a steep snow slope, whether using ski poles or an ice axe to control your descent. It is called glissading and while it may look dangerous to someone who hasn't done it, if you don't let your speed get past the point where you can control it (Aye matey...here's the rub!), is a very fast way to get down the mountain that you spent the better part of the day climbing...

BUT..you can get going too fast, you can go over high cliffs, you can get out of control, you can hit patches of frozen ice where your ice axes/ski poles do you no good at all, and you most certainly can get pretty screwed up...I have managed to do all of the former at one time or another...and I will be the last person in the world to say that rock, ice or alpine climbing is either a smart thing to do or remotely safe...but it sure is a big kick in the pants to do!

I remember doing a mixed snow/ice rock route on the Diamond face of Long's Peak back in the early 70's and we glissaded down Lamb's Slide, the big snow field that comes down from the Notch left of the actual face. We hucked down past a large group of folks from the CMC that were all roped up going up Lamb's Slide, probably doing close to 25 mph (it is a long snow field and we were going so fast that we were catching air on any bump we hit)...and the looks on those folks faces I still remember...

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I've never seen the show but remember when he's doing this stuff he has a full tv crew surrounding him. It's a tv show gang, watch the angles they use and try to figure out how many cameramen (complete with equipment) have gotten into position before he risks life & limb. :rolleyes:

Haku
April 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I've never seen the show but remember when he's doing this stuff he has a full tv crew surrounding him. It's a tv show gang, watch the angles they use and try to figure out how many cameramen (complete with equipment) have gotten into position before he risks life & limb. :rolleyes:

Heheee.........but he promises that the crew isn't allowed to help or interact with him beyond him talking into a camera. Thats the one cool thing about the Survivorman guy. Its made clear that he is truly on his own, since its nearly always a two camera shoot, a POV and a tripod that he sets up himself. They do have some exposition shots of him travelling and such, and I doubt he brings all his tape stock with him. Needless to say neither of them are alone and if something goes wrong they would almost certainly have rather immediate help. Its just that whereas the Survivorman guy takes it easy and thinks it through, the Bear guy is throwing himself off cliffs and making rash decisions. Its entertaining and crazy to watch his "I'm gonna eat whatever I lay my eyes on" attitude, just don't take anything he does as good way to make it through a survival situation.

This thread sure has gone off topic aye? Guess its a good thing the run is already over with.

JH

Chris
April 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Heheee.........but he promises that the crew isn't allowed to help or interact with him beyond him talking into a camera.

Call me cynical because I am. :lol: