PDA

View Full Version : conceal permit instruction

WINKY
March 31st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Here is the info that was asked of me for who i am taking the class from. I know him from work he is 2 floors down from me at my work. Good guy, and he owns his own business. He is licensed to instruct conceal classes and is also a gunsmith/dealer.

here is his info.

John Melton
303-638-5328
commknightj@hotmail.com (commknightj@hotmail.com)

When you call him let him know i referred you to him.

Randy

Chris is it ok to post this? if not i understand :)

4Runninfun
April 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
thanks for this! this is on my to-do list in the immediate future

WINKY
April 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
He runs the class out of his house and then the range is about 25 minutes away.

I will let him inform you of the fees and what to bring, he only get you the certification to apply for a permit but as with all classes you still need to submit it to the local sheriff office near you to get the permit. If he isnt in your price range or what you looking for shop around, i dont know what the going rate for conceal class is.

Jimmy
April 1st, 2009, 05:47 AM
i dont know what the going rate for conceal class is.

From what I've observed, about $100-125.

Not a bad site for those who are interested: http://www.coloradocarry.com/forums/

Chris
April 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Chris is it ok to post this? if not i understand :)

Perfectly fine.

4runner freak
April 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
it is actually a guy i know that works in my building he is really cool. He is federally licensed to teach and is a gunsmith/dealer as well. He is who i am purchasing my stag 6.8spc-AR from. I will post his info in the chat section.

Just FYI
While I think it is very necessary for EVERYONE to be familiar with a gun and know proper safety and the laws of where they are... There is a loophole in CO and you don't have to GO to a safety class to get your CCW.
If you are already familiar with guns, know how to shoot one and actually DO, you can actually take a "home class". HighlandsRanchFirearms.com offers one for $50. I heard about this a while ago, when the gun training classes were booked 3-6 months out.

Pathrat
April 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Just FYI
While I think it is very necessary for EVERYONE to be familiar with a gun and know proper safety and the laws of where they are... There is a loophole in CO and you don't have to GO to a safety class to get your CCW.
If you are already familiar with guns, know how to shoot one and actually DO, you can actually take a "home class". HighlandsRanchFirearms.com offers one for $50. I heard about this a while ago, when the gun training classes were booked 3-6 months out.

Good information, thanks!

H3_Mafia
April 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Just FYI

Also if I may add... if you were in the Armed Forces and have Pistol experience/qualification AND have been Discharged within 10yrs, you may use your DD214 as proof of firearms training when turning in your CCW Application at your local County Sheriffs Office. My brother recently got his CCW using his DD214. I myself was able to use a transcript of firearms training at a Federal Law Enforcement Academy I attended 4yrs ago. I was also prior Military but have been out just a little over 10yrs so was unable to use my DD214.

WINKY
April 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
yeah im already out by 11 yrs :( i could have used the reciprosity but i didnt have the money... oh well...

Dan
April 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Forget the permit...Just wear it on your hip! John Wayne style! :thunb:

Jimmy
April 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Forget the permit...Just wear it on your hip! John Wayne style! :thunb:
Just don't go into Denver like that.... it's illegal. :tsk:

Everywhere else is OK. Though, you don't see it in urban areas very much - I've only seen open carry in the mountains.

Dan
April 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Jimmy;29075]Just don't go into Denver like that.... it's illegal. :tsk:QUOTE]

Good to know! I live in the mountains so I don't know too much about Denver.

Jimmy
April 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I think people get a little freaked out if they see someone open carrying and they obviously aren't law enforcement. They figure you're a little wacko in the head or something. :lol:

Pathrat
April 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The only time I saw a guy carrying openly, he was on an atv, with a bunch of other atvs, in Utah or Colorado, can't remember which. In that kind of circumstance, I prefer the open carry as it lets you know a bit about who you are chatting with.

Dan
April 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I saw a guy with 2 six shooters, one on each hip in Walmart in Cheyenne, WY. I first looked around for the cameraman...none there! Judging by the wear on the holsters, this was an everyday thing for that guy.

Pathrat
April 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I saw a guy with 2 six shooters, one on each hip in Walmart in Cheyenne, WY. I first looked around for the cameraman...none there! Judging by the wear on the holsters, this was an everyday thing for that guy.

No kidding! Like Wyatt Earp.

WINKY
April 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM
i open carry with my survival vest when i camp... no one complains. they did look at me a bit weird/scared as i was wearing my bdu's but oh well.. lol

H3_Mafia
April 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Whoa that would of been kinda crazy to see in a Walmart. Was he an older guy?

I'll also "open carry" when camping/hiking using a tactical thigh holster.

Funrover
April 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM

LMAO!!!... Sounds like WY! My wife is from there and I see that kinda thing everytime I go... although we never get near the large city of Cheyenne... to many people hahaha:lol::lol:

Pathrat
April 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
When I was visiting my brother and his wife in Madison WI, I mentioned that I had sold my pistol and would be looking for a replacement at some point and I got the 'why do you need one?'. My brother's wife is from Argentina and he told her "it's the West out there, it's different". I didn't say much else about it but it is different than University Town, Midwest USA

4Runninfun
April 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
having been in alaska, out fishing it's pretty common to see people open carry. and lets just say a .44 is a small caliber up there.

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
having been in alaska, out fishing it's pretty common to see people open carry. and lets just say a .44 is a small caliber up there.

Well yeah! There's things up there that will eat you; ask Timothy Treadwell (for those who saw the documentary on that whackjob)

Chris
April 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I never watched it but from the little I read showed his life wasn't wasted - he not only provided food for the bears but further validation of Drawin's theory.

Pathrat
April 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I never watched it but from the little I read showed his life wasn't wasted - he not only provided food for the bears but further validation of Drawin's theory.

:lol::lol::lol:

Great response Chris!!!
Natural selection in action. Apparently the bears were living in a sustainable environment despite human encroachment.

4Runninfun
April 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM

yup that pretty much sums him up. you guys should hear the locals talk about him it's pretty funny.

backpacking up there is such a different experience, when you are out there it still feels wild. it's kinda hard to see in this pic but there is a BIG male grizzly right on the bank as we floated by. it was pretty intense.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/4runninfun/ika_tak_pass.jpg

Pathrat
April 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
WOW!!! :eek: Amazing! You are fortunate for having been up there, IMO

itsjustdan23
April 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I didnt know it was agenst the law in Denver to open carry, when I had my croch rocket id have it strapped to my lower back. And when I got off I strapped it to my leg haha. OOOOOPS! But its kinda nice ridin down I25 and noone cuts you off and they dont tailgate either!!!!! I miss my bike :(

Dan
April 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I didnt know it was agenst the law in Denver to open carry...

I actually was talking to a friend about this the other day. He said that while it is true that Denver passed a law banning open carry, it is unenforcable since it violates state gun rights. I thought any district could be more restrictive, but he said not when our rights are restricted. This was all second hand info from his ccw permit instructor... I don't have any idea if he is right or not and frankly it doesn't affect me since I neither live in Denver or open carry, but I thought it was interesting

Chris
April 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
State law always supercedes city laws. A good example is the marijuana possession law past in Denver. It is meaningless because State law overrides it.

WINKY
April 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
i really woudnt want to bother with the hassle of DPD...

Jimmy
April 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Read for yourselves on the legality of open carrying:

http://opencarry.org/co.html
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#OpenCarry

H3_Mafia
April 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Read for yourselves on the legality of open carrying:

http://opencarry.org/co.html
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#OpenCarry

Great info! :thunb: