PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake Locker

Patrolman
March 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Found this in the December issue of Off-Road Adventures (free mag from 4 Wheel Parts). This has been pasted from their site:

E-BRAKE LOCKER

I was told that if I set my parking brake just about half-way that it almost locks the rear end and aids traction. Is this tip true?

Jeff Young Orange County, CA

Well, it’s not true that it turns your axle into a “locker,” but it does help a little, especially if you already have a limited slip. The first rule of differential operation is that the average of the two wheel speeds will always equal ring gear speed. That applies just as much as when the vehicle is going straight, turning or stuck with one wheel spinning. Let’s say the ring gear is at 100 rpms for all the following examples. Going straight, the ring gear and both wheels are all at the same speed (100+100/2=100). In a turn, one wheel speeds up and the other slows down but if you average them, they are still equal (125+75/2=100). With one wheel on a rock and the other in goo, the spinning wheel will spin at twice the ring gear speed but averaged by two wheels, the rule still applies (200/2=100). The other differential constant is that torque takes the path of least resistance and flows to the tire with the least traction. The limited slip type diff works on the principle that if you apply some braking to that low traction tire it has to transfer some torque to the other side. Most limited slips do that with clutches splined to each axle to supply that braking force. If you slow that 200 rpm spinning tire from the example above to 150 rpm, then the other tire will now have 50 rpms more(and some torque) to play with. That’s what the parking brake does, it slows the loose tire down and helps transfer some torque to the other side. This works especially well with low bias (loose) factory style limited slips, when the difference in traction side to side exceeds the built in braking action of the clutches. The partially applied parking brake augments it. Back in the “old days” ‘wheelers would separate the two parking brake cables and put a handle on each. If the right wheel started to spin, they’d pull up on that handle and slow the wheel down, transferring some torque to the other side. Obviously, applying the parking brake will have limited effects and should be done only short term, but it’s a timetested trick that works. It does NOT work on true lockers, only open diffs and limited slips.

Patrolman
March 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
In anticipation of this, I have already bought some parts to make some mods to the Toyota. The 4Runner starting in 1990 had a rear axle with independent e-brake cables that join near the t-case. The earlier rigs and the trucks in the 90's have a cable that splits at the axle, which is less likely to allow for a dual e-brake handle setup. I intend to eventually swap the axle shafts into my 80's Toyota as they are the same length, spline count, etc. Then I will put in 2 floor mounted e-brake handles. One for each side. Will give a bit of an LSD effect, but also provides an effective cutting brake.

Cheap and easy mod that can be adapted to nearly any rig!

Brody
March 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Nice! Thanks Jeff!

This should maybe also be copied and pasted into the thread about the Tru Trac stuff that I posted in answer to the question on the wheel spin/TruTrac...I don't remember where the thread was, but I think I posted my answer in the tech stuff somewhere.

scout man
March 31st, 2009, 10:11 PM
I gotta say, this does in fact work. First figured it out when I accidentally left my e-brake on, and suddenly made it up a obstacle I had been struggling with for a while! Not something I would make a habbit of doing all the time, especially if you ever want to use the parking brake to actually park, but good for the occasion need.

Jimmy
April 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
This is right down the same road as the "left foot locker" where you pump your brake pedal to produce a similar effect at the axle to get the tire with the traction to turn just enough to get you moving again.

Tye
April 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM
This is right down the same road as the "left foot locker" where you pump your brake pedal to produce a similar effect at the axle to get the tire with the traction to turn just enough to get you moving again.

This is something I do pretty often since I have open diff. and it does work well. It doesnt do as well as if you have lockers of course but it does help.

Great write up Jeff :thunb:

cruiser51
April 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
thanks for the info. it makes total sence. we use walker brakes in our dune buggys but they have brake lines and a resivor.

Brody
April 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Then I will put in 2 floor mounted e-brake handles. One for each side. Will give a bit of an LSD effect, but also provides an effective cutting brake.

Cheap and easy mod that can be adapted to nearly any rig!

Need to mention that this will only work with open or Limited Slip type diffs. Cutting brakes don't work too well with lockers as I understand it.

Patrolman
April 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
This is something I do pretty often since I have open diff. and it does work well. It doesnt do as well as if you have lockers of course but it does help.

Great write up Jeff :thunb:

I completely cut/pasted right from the website. I read the hardcopy version and figured a softcopy had to be out there somewhere so that I didn't have to type it up. Both of my Toyota's have full selectable lockers in them, but I am always up for playing with a new toy.