PDA

View Full Version : Middle St. Vrain on 4/1/09...no fooling

Haku
March 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hey all,

No April fools joke here. Scoutman and I are going to head up to try the Middle Saint Vrain trail tomorrow. Its a middle/lower level trail, but could be a bit harder because of snow. Here is a link with a description:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

Its kind of near Ward, CO and is a bit higher in elevation then is ideal this time of year, but I think we should manage fine. Our plan is to give it a try, and if its snowed in, then to go try Castle Gulch or Left Hand instead. Anyone is welcome, especially if you have a winch to pull Steve and I out of the snow if we get stuck. This will be Steve's last trip out before he does his Spring over conversion and bigger tires, so lets hope its good.

I'm thinking that meeting at 10am in Boulder is a good way to go. The BusStop strip club parking lot is pretty empty at that time of the day and is a good meeting place. Its at the Junction of 28th and Broadway. We could meet anyone coming from the North in Lyons, across from the Black Bear in. There is a dirt parking lot right off the road that has a Pedestrian bridge nearby for the bike trail (its where the Lyons whitewater park ends).

From Boulder its about a 45 minute drive to the trailhead. It would be great to have company on this trip, but I understand if its a bit late notice.

Josh H.

scout man
March 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
It'll be great to have anyone who is free!

Roostercruiser
March 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM
cant ill :( be nebraska

Brody
March 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Josh

You guys might need to change your plans. Check out the latest colorado4x4.org posting on Ironclads/Bunce School road. Some guys ran it just a few days ago, maybe a week, and the trail was still closed at the gate, indicating a mess of snow. In fact, the guys that ran it didn't even get to the gate due to the amount of snow in the first draw.

Also, you might want to check traildamage.com to see when Middle St Vrain usually open up. It normally opens up the for the first big holiday weekend (Memorial Day or Labor Day...I get them confused) and not any sooner. Since this is a FS closure, they usually don't open anything up earlier than what they have been doing, snow accumulation or not.

Bunce School is open all year round to the new gate at the Meadows and so are the Ironclads. Johnny Park Road, Storm Mountain, Storm Drain and Miller Rock are also close to that area and may or may not be open. Miller Rock probably isn't as it is almost all on the north side of a mountain. I don't know about the others. If you try Miller Rock, use the traildamage description vs Wells as it is VERY hard to find. Traildamage has a critical picture of the sign and driveway that you really need to have to find it, otherwise it looks like someone's driveway and you just sail past. Been there, done that, too....

Anyway, just a quick heads up as LaDawn and I have tried to do the same run you are planning this same time 2 years in a row with the same luck I just outlined above. I would love to go, but we are having a meeting with an internet marketing person tomorrow. Thanks for the post!

scout man
March 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
So, we decided to do Illinois Gulch instead. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=222
Supposedly there is a place to meet right at the start of Missouri trail (which Illinois branches off of. Let us know if you are coming, but plan on meeting there by 11:30. Call me if you are coming and/or running late. 314-303-9283

Haku
March 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM
So, as Steve said above, we have decided to go somewhere less likely to have snow. Illinois Gulch should be fun and is within a couple hours drive of Denver. Best way to get there is 285 to Pine Junction. Steve and I are going to meet at "the Fort", which is a restaurant right off 285 at the Morrison exit of 285. We are gonna meet there at 10:00am or so. Like he said, we'd love to have some company. Looks like this is a mid level trail with some fun obstacles and such. Come join the unemployed crew with some midweek fun.

JH

Funrover
March 31st, 2009, 10:31 PM
Have a blast, I will be fixing my Rover tomorrow!

scout man
March 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Have a blast, I will be fixing my Rover tomorrow!

ah, thats no excuse, just come out and break some more stuff then you can fix it all at once! :2thumbs:

Funrover
March 31st, 2009, 10:52 PM
ah, thats no excuse, just come out and break some more stuff then you can fix it all at once! :2thumbs:

HAHAHAHA... sadly the transmission cooler line blew.. I couldn't even get there

scout man
March 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM
HAHAHAHA... sadly the transmission cooler line blew.. I couldn't even get there
well alright then, I'll take that excuse... but just once! next time your there! :tsk: