PDA

View Full Version : newbe in Brighton

billsbar
March 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I tried this once and it disapeared

so here is try #2

names Bill and I drive a modified 88 Samurai
I bought it as a basket case 2 years ago and drug it home as in a chain behind a truck, since then I've rebuilt it from the ground up, no one has touched it but me.
added parts
SPOA with YJ springs and missing links
new 1.6 EFI ( Geo Tracker)
hawk cam
thorley header
power steering
gm alt.
5.14 transfer case gears
KAD driveshafts
SpiderTrax anti-rap bar
TrailTuff cage
31X10.5 mudders
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch with more to come
a few pictures
trying to get enough flex so I can measure for shocks
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/005-10.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/009-5.jpg
the new motor
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/001-9.jpg

on the trail
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/BillWall24.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/zukibill/samurai109.jpg

Funrover
March 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Sweet Zuk man, Welcome!

WINKY
DAYUUUMM!!! NICE RiG! Welcome!

Pathrat
WELCOME! Great looking build up you did!

gragravar
March 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hey, welcome to the board. I am just around the corner from you also in Brighton

Chris
March 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Welcome to Front Range Bill! Great intro and Samurai, the more I see of these the more I want one. Hope you bring it to our run on the 28th!

:welcome:

SCRubicon
March 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Sweet Zuk man, Welcome!

X2!!!! Have any before pics?

Brody
March 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Welcome to the site!

That is one very nice build up! Very, very clean!

I have been trying to build up our make and model links as well as any other tech build links, so please feel free to contribute to them. It looks like you did a great deal of research before you even started the build and if you want to share some of your information, that would be great!

Looks like you have built a very capable rig there and we are looking forward to seeing you on a run. I hope that you can make the run on the 28th!

Thanks for correcting my spelling on the links and for the other links, too! Hey, I can't spell Suzuki right...and Chris has left this uncorrected so that I will always get grief about it...so when other folks correct me, it is appreciated!

DETN8R
March 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Yeah, awesome Samurai.

Warrlord
March 11th, 2009, 06:38 AM
That is one nice Sammy! :thunb: Welcome aboard :)

greenramp
March 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
WELCOME

Chris
March 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
You Samurai owners need to add you truck here!

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26097#post26097

billsbar
March 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
X2!!!! Have any before pics?

I have to dig them up, but I do have some. I wish I would of taken some before I started on it but I tend to get in a hurry. I already had a lift and some tires on it before bringing a camera to work. We found the hunk of junk in Longmont. The motor ran but was shot, the tranny shifter was in the back, it had been jumped and they bent the right front leaf spring in a 90 degree arc. It had hit a tree with the drivers door and targa bar, all 4 corners had been hit, a set of Caravan bucket seats had been cut into it, the top was shot and someone had painted everything but the windows camo with house paint and a brush. :lol: about now you are asking the question my wife asked when she saw it "why the F did you buy that thing" and as I told her you don't get much these days for $150. Now just over 2 years later my budget red neck 4X4 build is almost done, and done as cheap as I could, e-bay and the net saw alot of me, I even bought the paint over the net cheap, a complete paint job in a box including everything primer and all for $180.I built my own rear bumper with LED lights, front bumper off E-bay. Seats, door and targa bar Junk yard, Rebuildable 1.6 power stearing ect.. from pull and save, built my own motor. Cage from Trail Tuff, 5.14-1 transfer case off ZukiKrawlers, traded for the complete EFI including complete harness and ECM out of a 90 Geo tracker for a bottle of Patron and a valve cover, did my own wiring harness conversion. I did spend a bunch at SpiderTrax for the steering set up and the rear anti-rap bar. I picked up the wheels from a guy at a swap meet for $25 for all 4, the 6 inch bushwacker flairs for a YJ I got off e-bay and it goes on and on. I have a lock right for the rear that I took back out and need to go thru it somethings just not right with it, and at this point I'm down to armor, looking at skid plate options and am going to build my own rock slider/rocker gaurds in the next few weeks. I'll see if I can find my pictures off my old lap top and post up a build thread.
Thanks for the warm welcome, us Zuki owners seem to usually get a bunch of not so warm fuzzy feelings from the Jeep guys, glad to see this is changing.

Chris
March 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, us Zuki owners seem to usually get a bunch of not so warm fuzzy feelings from the Jeep guys, glad to see this is changing.

It's never been that way here. That's what this site is all about, variety makes it interesting and wheeling is wheeling regardless of what anyone drives, glad you're here. ;)

Roostercruiser
March 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM
[us Zuki owners seem to usually get a bunch of not so warm fuzzy feelings from the Jeep guys, glad to see this is changing.[/quote]

your not on a jeep site this is an everything site :thunb::fr4x4:

Jimmy
March 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
us Zuki owners seem to usually get a bunch of not so warm fuzzy feelings from the Jeep guys, glad to see this is changing.

your not on a jeep site this is an everything site :thunb::fr4x4:

Exactly! Plus, there's a lot of Sammy fans here... even if we don't own one. :) The only obstacle to overcome wheeling a Sammy is getting used to the short wheelbase. I'd love to have one as a toy and stretch out the wheelbase to where I could drive up walls. :cool:

Welcome!

Pathrat
March 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
[us Zuki owners seem to usually get a bunch of not so warm fuzzy feelings from the Jeep guys, glad to see this is changing.

your not on a jeep site this is an everything site :thunb::fr4x4:[/quote]

Plus, there seems to be a fair amount of respect here for those who use their creativity and :wrench: to do it themselves.

SCRubicon
March 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have to dig them up, but I do have some. I wish I would of taken some before I started on it but I tend to get in a hurry. I already had a lift and some tires on it before bringing a camera to work. We found the hunk of junk in Longmont. The motor ran but was shot, the tranny shifter was in the back, it had been jumped and they bent the right front leaf spring in a 90 degree arc. It had hit a tree with the drivers door and targa bar, all 4 corners had been hit, a set of Caravan bucket seats had been cut into it, the top was shot and someone had painted everything but the windows camo with house paint and a brush. :lol: about now you are asking the question my wife asked when she saw it "why the F did you buy that thing" and as I told her you don't get much these days for $150. Now just over 2 years later my budget red neck 4X4 build is almost done, and done as cheap as I could, e-bay and the net saw alot of me, I even bought the paint over the net cheap, a complete paint job in a box including everything primer and all for $180.I built my own rear bumper with LED lights, front bumper off E-bay. Seats, door and targa bar Junk yard, Rebuildable 1.6 power stearing ect.. from pull and save, built my own motor. Cage from Trail Tuff, 5.14-1 transfer case off ZukiKrawlers, traded for the complete EFI including complete harness and ECM out of a 90 Geo tracker for a bottle of Patron and a valve cover, did my own wiring harness conversion. I did spend a bunch at SpiderTrax for the steering set up and the rear anti-rap bar. I picked up the wheels from a guy at a swap meet for $25 for all 4, the 6 inch bushwacker flairs for a YJ I got off e-bay and it goes on and on. I have a lock right for the rear that I took back out and need to go thru it somethings just not right with it, and at this point I'm down to armor, looking at skid plate options and am going to build my own rock slider/rocker gaurds in the next few weeks. I'll see if I can find my pictures off my old lap top and post up a build thread.

Holy crap, your screen name should be Foose :D You do good work!!! I tend to not fit in well with the Jeep crowd even though I own a couple... And, Front Range 4x4 is a great group of people!!!

Funrover
March 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Holy crap, your screen name should be Foose :D You do good work!!!

Yup.. what he said

Brody
March 12th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Like what was said...you aren't on a Jeep site..you are on an everything site! We all respect the amount of work you did on the Sammi. Those things are great on trails....

A lot of the folks we have here have come here from other sites with the the "My _______ is the best 4x4 around. I won't even talk to you if you don't drive one" attitude..

Too many of us have built and driven an assortment of makes and models and we are here for the sport and people...not the rigs...

Gecko Cycles
March 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Holly crap! Now the King of Mall Crawlers is here! LOL
Welcome Bill. I just joined today and will post up here in a bit.

Maybe this forum can get this guy out and get dirty besides going through a puddle by accident on the way to the Mall.

Bill is a great guy so come on and lets bash him. He loves it.

I really have found that more of the Sammy guys are the ones with problems with Jeeps. I have been given the utmost respect from the Heep (OOPS) crowd. I have yet to winch one out that wasn't greatful and one never complaind about the slow as snot winch speed of my HF 5500.