PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Run Trail Ideas

Pathrat
March 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Posted by Brody:
"I think if we are going to do another successful Ladies Run this year, we should get some feed back from the ladies that ran Kelly Flats last year as that wasn't what you would call a giveaway run, especially when we had some first time drivers on it.

If we aren't going to have first time drivers again, then anything harder should be a seperate Ladies Run, like a Stage II or something. I know LaDawn, who has driven a lot of the harder trails, didn't especially care to do anything much harder, nor does she want to drive all of Chinaman's Gulch, for instance.

"Another Ladies Run with a similar trail would be good for first timers and it could very well be that the ladies that ran last year's run don't want to do anything harder than that...or longer. Old Chinaman's with the optional lines would be good, but I think it is too long to be fun for a lot of people, especially newbies.

Slaughterhouse Gulch, Jenny Creek, Peru Creek with maybe Radical Hill thrown in are some options. Bill Moore, Mill Creek Loop are some others. All of these aren't too hard, aren't too long, aren't to far away, and aren't really all too easy, but they can be run in just about anything...

Anyway, I think some feedback from the ladies here is way more critical to having a successful and fun run than anything us guys are going to come up with....After all, we are just going along as spotters, navigators, shovelers, winchers and basic Neanderthol types as is fitting, right?"

The above is from Brody, posted in another thread. He sums it up and I don't have to get all wordy.

For those of you who are new, last year we did a run where the ladies associated with this group drove the trail, guys riding shotgun. The men were spotters, guides and sources of physical labor. Men, please ask your wives/SO's if they are interested and what difficulty level they would be comfortable with.

Aaron, please give your suggestions. I will need your help to match a trail to what the women are asking for. I like the suggestion of Bill Moore; it is not too far and there is some mud. We all liked the mud puddles you know!

Funrover
March 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I have a few trails for the WOMENS WEEKEND RUNS

Halfmoon - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=42

Mt Bross - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=116

Yoder Gultch -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=238

Slide Lake - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=241

I have noticed from the last run that MUD and scenery are really important.LOL

Pathrat
March 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have a few trails for the WOMENS WEEKEND RUNS

Halfmoon - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=42

Mt Bross - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=116

Yoder Gultch -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=238

Slide Lake - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=241

I have noticed from the last run that MUD and scenery are really important.LOL

Yes Funrover, you are dialed in on the MUD and scenery.
I can't say much about the trails you list above as I have not been on any of them but HalfMoon. That is pretty but I don't remember any mud. Caribou is pretty muddy but no big pools.

Funrover
March 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I haven't done any of them.

Pathrat
April 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
edit: I have not done Half Moon, I did Caribou, which has lots of mud in the spring.

It doesn't always work but I am going to ask for input from the women who would be driving the Ladies Run. I need to know what they want to do. Then, a trail and date can be picked.

Time's up on this Sunday so Thank You for your help!

WINKY
April 14th, 2009, 11:07 PM
can guys join in on this?

Funrover
April 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Yeah guys can come.

WINKY
April 15th, 2009, 04:44 AM
what if one doesnt have a significant other?

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM
LaDawn liked the Bill Moore Lake/Mill Creek Loop/Elephant Hill area. If people wanted to camp, there is plenty of FS and National Forest camping, it is not too hard, pretty, and has some challenging sections. Not to mention it is not too far of a drive (from Denver)

And yes, guys can come. We had a couple of guys run solo last time and everyone had a blast. Treat it just like a regular trail run if you are a solo dude! I think we had a total of 14 rigs last time. New people can check out the last Ladies Run in the trail run reports and see the smiles on everyone's faces...we had fun! Just about everyone camped out, too.

FYI, we try to locate a trail that will work for first time 4x4 drivers as well as those that have experience, so that everyone, first time drivers or experienced, will have fun. There is a lot of support all the way around for all drivers, we have some really excellent spotters, and just generally have a great time. LaDawn and I had a blast on the last run and are looking forward to the run this year.

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
what if one doesnt have a significant other?

You have time to find one. :D

Pathrat
April 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Deezle-P, you can run tailgunner.

Date and time and trail to be announced Monday or so.

SCRubicon
April 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
It doesn't always work but I am going to ask for input from the women who would be driving the Ladies Run. I need to know what they want to do. Then, a trail and date can be picked.

My wife would say, "There's a nice big parking lot outside of the Colorado Mills Mall. Can we go there?" :rolleyes:

Pathrat
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
BML looks good.

Spring Creek is also close by :D:eek::lol:

I am leaning towards Bill Moore, as the difficulty level is variable, and can accommodate varied comfort levels and rigs. But Spring Creek? NO! :D

Funrover
April 15th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Anyone have pics of Bill Moore so I can show Jess?

Funrover
April 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Jess says she's in

Brody
April 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Anyone have pics of Bill Moore so I can show Jess?

Go to traildamage.com and just watch some of theirs on Bill Moore. I have never taken any pictures cause we have always run it alone...Got enough of me, rig, LaDawn, so no pics...Besides, the last time we were on it, LaDawn was learning how to drive a rig that was busy spitting gears in the rear end and trying to get up to the top of the hill so that we could coast down to the paved road...

Chris
April 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Bill Moore would be a good choice. That's where I took my daughter for her first ride and it had enough to keep it interesting but not enough to freak her out. ;)

The only negative is all the time we'd spend picking up beer cans. :(

SCRubicon
April 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Believe it or not my wife actually said Bill Moore. Although, she thought the Mills was a good choice too :D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/BillMoore07/th_DSCN1909.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/BillMoore07/?action=view&current=DSCN1909.flv)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/BillMoore07/BillMooreLake-49.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/BillMoore07/DSCN1843.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/BillMoore07/DSCN1900.jpg

H3_Mafia
April 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Bill Moore looks to be a cool and scenic Trail!

Funrover
April 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Lets set a date

Chris
April 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Lets set a date

Yes, let's! Ladies Run - Bill Moore Lake

What Date Pathrat?

Funrover
April 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
July 25th or 26 sound good?

WINKY
April 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
damnit ill be gone on those days but dont wait up for me...lol

Pathrat
April 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
July 25th or 26 sound good?

Was thinking that today Funrover! Good picks. :thunb:

We'll put the time, date and meeting places in a sticky on its own thread for the yes/no/maybe and keep this as the details/discussion thread.

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for the help Aaron! Looks like we will run Bill Moore.
I am thinking Saturday the 25th, since I imagine this run will take some time as there is the Beer Can Round Up and a few social/picture stops that will happen.

Probably meet at the McDonalds in Idaho Springs, 830am then head to Empire. Just someone tell me where to turn in Empire. I always miss it and have to turn around. This time, the GPS will mark the turn.

Brody
April 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah, that turn is hard to find. Wells book say stop sign or stop light or something, traildamage says it is marked as well. Last time I was there, it was just an intersection that looked like the last intersection...only that it was roughly in the middle of "town". We missed it, too...

billmoore
April 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
/Anyone have pics of Bill Moore so I can show Jess?/
i do but they are pretty ugly. i hear the lake is pretty, though..

Chris
April 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
:lol:

Hey Bill, how's your wife feeling about driving? I think it's pretty much required you join us on your namesake trail.

billmoore
April 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
:lol:

Hey Bill, how's your wife feeling about driving? I think it's pretty much required you join us on your namesake trail.
I don't think I could get my wife, Cheryl, to drive. She is busyenough time telling me how to drive as it is. Since I am a newbie at 4wheeling, maybe Bill Moore Lake should be my maiden run, pun intended.

Chris
April 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I don't think I could get my wife, Cheryl, to drive. She is busyenough time telling me how to drive as it is. Since I am a newbie at 4wheeling, maybe Bill Moore Lake should be my maiden run, pun intended.

Hope to see you there and maybe Cheryl will decide you should ride shotgun. :rolleyes:

Either way, hope to see Bill Moore running Bill Moore Lake regardless of who drives. :thunb:

Brody
April 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Bill

I think when we did the last Ladies Run there were more than a couple of ladies that were feeling a bit intimidated, but the support from all the other ladies there, not to mention the encouragement from all the guys, turned that around. It was really an incredible run from that standpoint alone.

Not a lot of peer pressure either, just good 'ol 'go for it, Girl!' coming from the other ladies, which I heard more than once! We have excellent spotters and a serious amount of good support.

Tell you what, have your wife PM any of the ladies that were on the run last year and talk to them (including LaDawn)...and watch the ladies run videos and pictures. There are big smiles on everyone's faces!

Here is a link to that run, plus everyone posted stuff to photobucket with additional links...

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684

Funrover
April 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
X2 on what Brody said. My wife took harder lines than she ever would have before and that was the first time I have ever seen Tye's better half drive his rig. It was a lot of fun and we let them choose where they wanted to go... we (the guys) just simply spotted, took pics, and had a great time!

Chris
April 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Nothing on the calendar? :confused:

I need to make sure we make this one, Barb hasn't driven our truck since we blew up the auto tranny!

Roostercruiser
April 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
:thunb:Sarah is in

Pathrat
April 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I will get it up on the calender.

We did have a great time. The men did a super job with spotting and guidance, but let the women do the driving, even in the tough spots, when the ladies wanted to try it.

One of the reason I was leaning towards Bill Moore is that it isn't just an easy dirt road but it is not intimidating.

Brody
April 18th, 2009, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=Chris;31339]Nothing on the calendar? :confused:

Chris...Pathrat said that she was going to post this up Monday as far a date and trail went...We will just have to make sure that she does, she is such a slacker....and needs to work on her people skills, from what I have heard:lol::lol:

Chris
April 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Chris...Pathrat said that she was going to post this up Monday as far a date and trail went...We will just have to make sure that she does, she is such a slacker....and needs to work on her people skills, from what I have heard:lol::lol:

Monday, eh? I just hate it when people don't read the whole thread before posting a dumb comment. :o

When you spend your day cutting people parts I imagine it impacts your people skills in an odd way. :lol:

Pathrat
April 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Monday, eh? I just hate it when people don't read the whole thread before posting a dumb comment. :o

When you spend your day cutting people parts I imagine it impacts your people skills in an odd way. :lol:

Oh no Chris, my people skills are quite sharp ;)

Pathrat
April 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;31339]Nothing on the calendar? :confused:

Well, I did stand around in your garage today for about four hours, just watching other people work :erm:
(:D)

Funrover
April 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Oh no Chris, my people skills are quite sharp ;)

Like a scalpel LOL

SCRubicon
April 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
What are people skills?

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
What are people skills?

The ability to drive as many people as you can insane..... I am working on mine.

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
How is the campong around this area? Anyone else be up for it?

Pathrat
April 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
What are people skills?

They are significantly over-rated.

Pathrat
April 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
How is the campong around this area? Anyone else be up for it?

Campong might be tricky. You don't want the low-hanging trail branches to rake the ping-pong table off your roof.

No idea what the camping is like, other than cold.

Roostercruiser
April 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM
bringing the toaster? funrover you finally get weekends off?

Funrover
April 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM
bringing the toaster? funrover you finally get weekends off?

Yes and starting April 26 I will get weekends off :thunb:

Funrover
April 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Campong might be tricky. You don't want the low-hanging trail branches to rake the ping-pong table off your roof.

No idea what the camping is like, other than cold.

Campong is more fun...it's offroad..hahaha

Gecko Cycles
April 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Just someone tell me where to turn in Empire. I always miss it and have to turn around. This time, the GPS will mark the turn.
Turn right at Rosie's Diner if I remember correctly.

I heard guys can come too if they are well equipped.

Chris
April 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Moobs may qualify you KB, we'll let the women judge! :D

Pathrat
April 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Moobs may qualify you KB, we'll let the women judge! :D

If they are silicone, you are so OUT

Funrover
April 23rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
My moobs are 100% real... na false ones here hahaha

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I am looking at the meeting times...WOW.. I don't think I can get to camp and set up before 8:30 am... and there is no way I am going to go up friday after work ( I get off around 10 pm). Anyone know where I can hide a camper for a day till we return? Perhaps we will tant camp that weekend.. LOL... or stay at Steve/ Tyes house.. HMMMMMMM

Funrover
May 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Depending on time want to also add Mill creek?

Pathrat
May 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Don't know anything about that so I'll have to get more details first Funrover

Brody
May 16th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Don't know anything about that so I'll have to get more details first Funrover

It is called the Mill Creek Loop and is essentially a a loop route that extends the Bill Moore trail farther north. It loops back to an intersection with the Bill Moore Lake trail and you pick it up after you reach Bill Moore Lake. You can extend this even farther by not going back to the Bill Moore Lake intersection, turning east and coming back down the Elephant Hill trail.

We ran the Bill Moore/Mill Creek Loop last year and had a great time. It was slightly harder than Bill Moore with a long bumpy hill being the main obstacle. We thought that it was pretty cool. There was another obstacle that was an off camber squeeze section, but we were actually past that before we realized that it was a named obstacle. That was in my rig though and it would give a stocker a bit of a challenge. Good spotting would be the key here, but other than that, a nice addition to a good trail.

Running these trails, good communications are going to be key, especially with feedback from the person in front. There are quite a few narrow sections where meeting another group coming either up or down would be a little bit of a problem.

Good choice overall as they are pretty and just hard enough to present a challenge.

Funrover
May 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah I looked into that loop...However I don't want to do the Red Elephant due to the off-camber section... That might be a bit much for a person getting started

Gecko Cycles
May 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
The first time I was up there was in a bone stock Wrangler. The driver was the worst driver I have ever seen and we still made it without issue. The jerk nearly shot his foot off with a 357 mag too. Some people shouldn't be allowed to breath let alone have a weapon or drive. He is on his 3rd Jeep in just a few years. Not sure how many toes he has!

My friend lives in Empire on the corner of the first intersection as you come into town. You can park your trailer on that street on the side of his house. It is across from the mobile home/modular park.

As for MBoobs. Mine are unfortunately real so I will leave my shirt on. :thunb: