View Full Version : Think About This

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Think about this:
1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate Bin Laden or 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

THE CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq .. why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this -- you cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians ... it creates a hostile work environment.

greenramp
March 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'm with you on all points and then one.

THE MELTING POT
The United States is a melting pot of Multicultural citizens. It keeps us diverse as a nation, being able to see all sides of arguements and different points of view. Well.... as all pots do ours is full...Build the fence already.

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Amen to that.

You mean the fence that we should have built 20-30 years ago, right??

Still, putting one up now might go a long ways towards getting things on the right track.

WINKY
March 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
i just dont like the fact that a kid could run out in front of your vehicle traveling at 60mph on HWY 6 get hit and die, you go to prison for life for vehicular manslaughter when the kid should have used the crosswalk on the overpass 100ft away, but a guy can kill another human for $30 at 7-11 and get 20 years maybe 15 if he "behaves" himself....

but i agree on all the others pete.

Pathrat
March 4th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Good post Pete.

On the melting pot, I will spout off on that. Yes, you have a cool culture. Yes, you should be proud. Now stop telling me how different and special you are. My grandmother came to this country at age 7 not knowing a word of English. There were no special classes. If I went to live in Germany, Mexico, or anywhere else, would there be special concessions? No. How about learning the language of where you live instead of setting yourself apart?

Brody
March 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Yes, indeed...

I go for a vacation up into Canada, I brush up on my French

I vacation in St Lucia, primary language French, I brush up on my French

I vacation in Aruba, I brush up on Spanish and learn a few words of the Dutch/French/Spanish/English mix that is their language.

I go to Rome...I learn enough Italian to get by

Why are we, as a country, so damn complacent and roll over on out back willing to accomodate this crap?

It absolutely gals me that I have to see signs in Spanish and that I am 'expected' to know at least a smattering of Spanish in order to get along on a construction site.

Wanna be here in the USA, learn the damn language or hike your ass back home...

WINKY
March 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
our country is like walmart, everyone can get in and get what they want. If they dont they file lawsuit and still get it whether right or wrong, just or unjust. Our government has no spine. Catering to everyones whims gets nobody nowhere.

I could go on and on...lol (insert kick dead horse picture)

4Runninfun
March 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Good post Pete.

On the melting pot, I will spout off on that. Yes, you have a cool culture. Yes, you should be proud. Now stop telling me how different and special you are. My grandmother came to this country at age 7 not knowing a word of English. There were no special classes. If I went to live in Germany, Mexico, or anywhere else, would there be special concessions? No. How about learning the language of where you live instead of setting yourself apart?

EXACTLY!!! this is the case for MOST americans. we all came here from someplace else, and unless you're of english descent your ancestors had to learn the damn language!!! my dad when i was younger told the story of my great grandmother who was so poor when they came over they didn't even have shoes. where was her hand out? oh thats right they got to live here and MAKE a better life for themselves, it wasn't just given to them.

THIS ISN'T RACISM THIS IS COMMON SENSE!

WINKY
March 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
i mainly think its blatant ignorance and knowing that our system will accommodate ignorance.

Roostercruiser
March 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
when i came over from belgium/germany i didnt know how to read or write english. i learned to read and write at Port Madison Indian Res. (probebly why im dyslesic). my mom became a american citizen and had to go threw all the classes and study american history, if she can and i can do it anyone can do it. according to our family in germany we are considered nothings now and really cant go back because we became americans. you know what im glad we are AMERICANS. germany is great but america is BETTER.

Chris
March 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Cool Roland, how old were you when you came here?

Brody
March 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hell, I was born here, and have great (or great great) grand parents that were born here and a degree in English and have written 7 books, numerous magazine and newspaper articles and I still have trouble with English...

English is a hard language, to be sure....and confusing to boot. Try teaching someone something like 'the door is ajar' and they are going to be going 'Yo! You just said that a door is a door. Now how can it possibly be a jar?'

Roostercruiser
March 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Cool Roland, how old were you when you came here?

i came over in 86 so i was 11 years old