PDA

View Full Version : work exchange?

scout man
March 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Alright, so this is just a thought, but I know that a large portion of this group is having problems financially, and I also know that we have an extremelly vast range of skill-sets among members. My thought was that this would be a good thread to post up some possible help you might need around your house or whatever (ex. I know chris needs some roofing done), and possibly resort back to the old days where we all pitch in and support one another. I will help you with what you need, for free, if you will return the favor, or pass it on to someone else who needs the assistance. For example, minor construction in exchange for some welding - or whatever the situation may be. On that note, I will throw out the fact that I will gladly pitch in for any of you all on a saturday to help out, because I know we all need it, and I - in the future - may need some fabrication assistance, among other things. Can't fabricate things? No problem, I will still help if you say you will help someone else afterwards. This sound interesting to anybody???

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Everybody needs to take a cue from this guy as far as a good attitude goes and general willingness to help.

This is the attitude that is going to get the USA back on it's feet.............seriously...Especially when it is coming from someone who just worked 92 hours in the last 7 days...Been there, done that and you have no time to do much but eat, work and sleep.

If it doesn't make sense to you the first time you read, read it a couple more times.

So..I am in for this. I can't think of too much stuff that I can't do or haven't done that folks would need a hand with...

Chris
March 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Good old barn raising concept. Nice idea and I'd be willing to help others as well doing what I can though I'm not all that capable in many area. I appreciate being used as an example but would like to pass this concept on to others with smaller projects. I need a complete tear-off and replacement and can't even afford material these days.

As Pete said, this is the attitude needed to get things moving in the right direction again.

:cheers:

scout man
March 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Alright, so I edited that and cleaned it up a little bit. I must have been REALLY tired when I typed that last night, because reading it now it wasnt nearly as coherent as I thought. But it should make a little more sense now. Alright, off to work!

1freaky1
March 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
It is a great idea!, I am willing also but I do work the graveyard shift so I will pitch in when I can, I too need a new roof but landlord isn't doing a lot about it right now and later this summer am planning on doing so concrete work with neighbor. I will do some exchange work w/ my welding as long as everyone pays for the materials and I will do the same discount prices here that I do with my club members $100 discount on my bumpers.

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Chris...try pricing roofing at one of the Habitat For Humanities. They are starting to get large amounts of stuff in most of their stores with really good prices. We got a $1200 Pella wood/vinyl clad slider for less than $300 as a for instance.

Chris
March 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'll take a look but I have an HOA and think all of 2 acceptable roofing shingles allowed.

gragravar
March 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
This really isnt a bad idea. It is always good to lend a hand if you can. I know I dont have any fab skills to offer up to anyone, but I dont mind helping to turn a wrench or to help out on home or vehicle projects. Outside of that most of my expertise is in strategic planning, product management and product process work, which, unfortunately is not likely gonna be a huge help to most of you on a day to day basis. :-/

greenramp
March 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'm all for this! I have always been a pay it forward kind of guy especially with any parts that I have and do not need. I can give whatever I can to lending a hand. Being that I am self employed and own a business based on fabrication, I am all for going to your garage and helping on your project. I'll even wield a hammer if need be on other projects that aren't in my realm of expertise.
Please if you need help don't be afraid to post it up in a thread. Once you get past that I'm sure there are plenty of us that are willing.

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
This is what it is all about, people!

And one of the reasons that Front Range is what it is...a bunch of really good folks...

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!

As far as communicating needs, projects and so on, dates, what have you, I suppose we should just use the Private Message? I know that my phone number and email is readily available to anyone, but not everybody wants their information public. Other suggestions would be appreciated...

Funrover
March 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm all for this! I have always been a pay it forward kind of guy especially with any parts that I have and do not need.

I can back this up!

As far as the original post goes I live my life this way! I try to help as often as possible.

4Runner3Wheeler
March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I agree!

Folks can post up specific projects, and those with proper skill sets will adamantly volunteer to help. Brody is right. This is what separates this board.

Bartering is great, especially with a pay it forward attitude.

I'm all for this! I have always been a pay it forward kind of guy especially with any parts that I have and do not need. I can give whatever I can to lending a hand. Being that I am self employed and own a business based on fabrication, I am all for going to your garage and helping on your project. I'll even wield a hammer if need be on other projects that aren't in my realm of expertise.
Please if you need help don't be afraid to post it up in a thread. Once you get past that I'm sure there are plenty of us that are willing.

WINKY
March 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
for me i am one of those jack of all trades master of none but i do a good job. I also build repair computers. I am willing to pay a good penny for fabrication, i can buy the stock and any expendables needed to do welding grinding etc. Sometimes peeps just need some cash. I am trying to support the local guy instead of going to a big fancy place or business when jimbob nextdoor can do the same thing with his experience. I am in :) Also when it comes to skillsets i possess, i try to teach what i know to those i am helping so in the future they can help themselves and save money and be a smarter person for it !

Chris
March 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
jack of all trades master of none

That's what :princess: has always called me.

Brody
March 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Randy..if you come across a decent laptop, used Winbook 8081 MB, or a used P4 mini MB and or tower, let me know. I would appreciate it. I also rebuild towers, both Macs and PCs, but am now doing my first laptop..

4Runninfun
March 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
i too, think this is a great idea, i'm willing to lend a hand to anyone who needs it. i am pretty decent at welding and can make some stout sliders. for anyone off this board... bring me the stock and a 6pk and i'll weld them up for ya!

Roostercruiser
March 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
im not the smartest person out there but willing to help anyone who needs a hand. but i do have a 16 ft tralier if anybody needs to haul something just call me at 303-472 -6873 ask for me roland

scoutfam
March 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
sounds good to me as well. heck I have been doing this for years with my neighbors. The government hates it but to bad for them......:D

Pathrat
March 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Of course this is a great post, and it is important to remind us of the viable alternative to straight cash for goods and the virtue of practicing good deeds.

A number of you know my primary skill set, and none of you want me to use it where you or your family are concerned. I cut up diseased body parts and have a decent working knowledge of medicine, for a non-physician. See, no one wants my services. Otherwise, I know how to bust my hump and am not afraid to break a nail.

Also, people could remember to post in the wanted thread stuff they need or are looking for that are not just vehicle related.

Funrover
March 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
i too, think this is a great idea, i'm willing to lend a hand to anyone who needs it. i am pretty decent at welding and can make some stout sliders. for anyone off this board... bring me the stock and a 6pk and i'll weld them up for ya!

Bumper.. COUGH COUGH bumper

scout man
March 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM

You and I may actually have to discuss this one. Do you by any chance have a tube bender?? If not its no big deal, just trying to decide what I want to do and what my options are. But there would be more than a 6 pack in it for you... at LEAST a 24 pack :thunb:. But seriously, I am willing to pay for this since its is not something I really need, just want and hope to have the money for anyways. I'll pm you about it sometime, probably at least a few days from now.

Also, thanks guys for all of the support on this issue. I personally live to help others, and can't stand to watch someone suffer if there is something I can do about it, whether I know them or not. In fact, I have a friend of mine from college living on my couch right now, and has been for free for about a month and a half now. It's the least I can do since a good friend once did the same for me. I am just thankful to have found a group of folks like you that all think the same way on this. I beleive there is still a lot of good in people, it just takes some exposure, such as this, to get the topic out in the open, as Americans are raised to NOT ask for help. I hope some good work and friendships come out of this thread!!

jpiercep
March 5th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Count me in! I am fairly new to this site and the people here have been great to me in the short time. I have had several members respond to my posts and even one gave me a phone number. I'm no mechanic and know I might need some more help in the future. I work corrections and have several days off a week to help out with just about anything just let me know Sunday Monday Tuesday and every other Wednesday.

WINKY
March 5th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Of course this is a great post, and it is important to remind us of the viable alternative to straight cash for good and the virtue of practicing good deeds.

A number of you know my primary skill set, and none of you want me to use it where you or your family are concerned. I cut up diseased body parts and have a decent working knowledge of medicine, or a non-physician. See, no one wants my services. Otherwise, I know how to bust my hump and am not afraid to break a nail.

Also, people could remember to post in the wanted thread stuff they need or are looking for that are not just vehicle related.

our nation has a severely diseased body part that still wanders the earth and lives... (insert zombie pic here) maybe you can do somethin bout that!!! :lol:

Brody
March 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM
jpiercep is another guy who works all the time, is trying to get his rig running in what spare time he does have, and is still offering to help other folks.

Man! What a cool bunch of people here! I am impressed!

And yes, Pathrat..no one needs the services of your profession...yet..though the thought of doing a little critical and not very selective surgery on the nation is not a bad idea. Where would one start? The head , maybe, though no one may miss it...

And you are a trooper as far as kicking in to help!

Chris
March 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I also build repair computers

Do you do any Mac stuff? I've got a couple iBooks that you can have with bad logic boards. I'm looking for a newer iBook or macBook since the one I'm using now is getting pretty sketchy.

WINKY
March 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
ive never touched anything from apple, but im sure its all the same just different operating system. you might want to talk to Pete he has apple stuff.

4Runninfun
March 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
You and I may actually have to discuss this one. Do you by any chance have a tube bender?? If not its no big deal, just trying to decide what I want to do and what my options are. But there would be more than a 6 pack in it for you... at LEAST a 24 pack :thunb:. But seriously, I am willing to pay for this since its is not something I really need, just want and hope to have the money for anyways. I'll pm you about it sometime, probably at least a few days from now.

i don't have a tube bender, it's on the list though. just let me know what you want and we'll get something built for you.:smokin:

bskey
March 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm in, how and when I can! Great idea, and ditto on the great people here. I need to start earning brownie points for my early summer recovery. ;)

Pathrat
March 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Now that I fixed the spelling errors, my post should be more coherent. :o

And yes, about them diseased parts...I have excellent knife skills. :smokin:

Funrover
March 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm in, how and when I can! Great idea, and ditto on the great people here. I need to start earning brownie points for my early summer recovery. ;)

Your yota down south?

Chris
March 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Sure Pete, I'll be out this morning but will be around in the afternoon finishing up the reassembly of my truck.

OSX is great btw and the iBooks have good HD's with it installed. ;)

Chris
March 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Give a call letting me know your time frame. I'll do the tank this AM and just come by later.

Thanks

I'm taking my mom grocery shopping at 10 and should be back by noon. I'll call when I'm headed home.

bskey
March 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Your yota down south?

Yeah, near the Sand Dunes.

Funrover
March 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
That will be a fun day I have a feeling

Patrolman
March 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I am VERY impressed with the willingness of everyone on here to help! My family has always been on the helping side, even when it comes to people we don't know or won't see anything in return from.

As far as what I can offer... I guess first off, my degree in Psychology and my counseling background. ;) Ok, honestly, I have my MBA and am willing to help someone with business planning, etc. I also have finished more than 1/2 of the course work in completing my ASE certification, so if you need vehicle trouble shooting, I can try to help. Took additional course work in electronics, so I can decode some of the old skool circuit boards.

Aside from that, I too am a jack of all trades, master of only a few. Areas of vehicle expertise are in Toyotas from 1980ish to 1995ish. Not experienced in Taco's. I am also knowledgeable in Scout II's and a bit with 80's and 800's. Subaru's used to be my forte, so if you need some insight/advice, particularly on some of the older models, don't hesitate. Most recently, I have become a guru in Mazda Miata's. If anyone has one or is interested in getting one, I can tell you everything you ever or never wanted to know.

My wife and I have done a lot of home improvement projects. Flagstone patio, paver walkways, landscape walls, roofing, tuck/point chimneys, floor/wall tiling, sand/finish wood floors, custom shower enclosure (current project), wood fencing, etc. Need help, advice, or reading material? Let me know.

I am also happy to lend out tools. Pressure washer, walk behind powered lawn aerator, snowblowers, pipe-bender (Harbor Freight model)... and a generator if I get it started up. I also have other stuff that can't really leave (compressor, bench grinder, etc) because my garage is packed in tight. :(

If anyone needs "help" I have a tow dolly which can tow anything up to a Scout/K5/Bronco. I also have a 14' long single axle flatbed. Fits smaller cars. Also have 2 of my vehicles with 8,000+ winches. WHEN we get another blizzard, my pickup has a plow. I don't do any commercial plowing, so it really sits more than anything.

All that said, before you pay for advice, go to a rental store, etc, make sure you post first! Happy to provide insight/advice/tools/help!

Roostercruiser
March 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
:thunb:
I am VERY impressed with the willingness of everyone on here to help! My family has always been on the helping side, even when it comes to people we don't know or won't see anything in return from.

As far as what I can offer... I guess first off, my degree in Psychology and my counseling background. ;) Ok, honestly, I have my MBA and am willing to help someone with business planning, etc. I also have finished more than 1/2 of the course work in completing my ASE certification, so if you need vehicle trouble shooting, I can try to help. Took additional course work in electronics, so I can decode some of the old skool circuit boards.

Aside from that, I too am a jack of all trades, master of only a few. Areas of vehicle expertise are in Toyotas from 1980ish to 1995ish. Not experienced in Taco's. I am also knowledgeable in Scout II's and a bit with 80's and 800's. Subaru's used to be my forte, so if you need some insight/advice, particularly on some of the older models, don't hesitate. Most recently, I have become a guru in Mazda Miata's. If anyone has one or is interested in getting one, I can tell you everything you ever or never wanted to know.

My wife and I have done a lot of home improvement projects. Flagstone patio, paver walkways, landscape walls, roofing, tuck/point chimneys, floor/wall tiling, sand/finish wood floors, custom shower enclosure (current project), wood fencing, etc. Need help, advice, or reading material? Let me know.

I am also happy to lend out tools. Pressure washer, walk behind powered lawn aerator, snowblowers, pipe-bender (Harbor Freight model)... and a generator if I get it started up. I also have other stuff that can't really leave (compressor, bench grinder, etc) because my garage is packed in tight. :(

If anyone needs "help" I have a tow dolly which can tow anything up to a Scout/K5/Bronco. I also have a 14' long single axle flatbed. Fits smaller cars. Also have 2 of my vehicles with 8,000+ winches. WHEN we get another blizzard, my pickup has a plow. I don't do any commercial plowing, so it really sits more than anything.

All that said, before you pay for advice, go to a rental store, etc, make sure you post first! Happy to provide insight/advice/tools/help!

:2thumbs::clap: thanks

JeepersCreepers
March 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I think the only real skill I have is good old elbow grease. So if anybody needs help and I'm availiable I'll be there to help to do whatever whenever I can and maybe even learn some skills while at it. Everyone on this site has shown me that there are still real people out there that still care about one another and for that I am greatful to have found such an AWESOME group of people that I will always look forward to getting to know and wheel with.

bskey
March 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone good with natural landscaping?? I have a big dirt backyard and want to put in something indigenous to the area so it requires little maintenance and will hold up to my dogs doing laps on it. Any suggestions?

Brody
March 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
PM Steve (SC RUBICON) He has a background in this and isn't working at the moment. Give him something to do....

Patrolman
March 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Got the lawn aerator out today and it got the first tuneup in 7+ years. Runs like a top and put lots of little holes the back yard. If anyone is interested in holes in their yard, let me know.

billsbar
March 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
ok even being a new guy I'm in, I work 50-55 plus hour a week in the auto field. I really don't like talking about what I do on the net too many weirdo's out there that might want to F with me, and my job is my life, been with the same Co. for 26 years. Things I can help with: if you have a place I can help with building motors, paint and body work. I have all the tools needed plus a press,welder, ect... and if you need auto glass I have a direct in there too
let me know if I can help.