PDA

View Full Version : Trail run suggestions

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Chris...didn't you 'appoint' someone to plan some of the trail runs...like the specific ones? I think it would be a good idea to post up some of the same type runs we did last year that everyone had fun on: 'stockers without lockers', 'ladies run' and maybe a 'full size' run this year as we now have a bunch of full size rigs. Just get them on the board so that folks can plan around them. We also need to post the Barbour Forks clean up runs, too. Ditto with the Moab runs people are talking about, even though LaDawn and I will probably not go on one of those unless the job situation changes...

Might be nice to get these on the boards so that folks can plan...add a night run and some other fun stuff. Wasn't Tye going to be doing this? If not, I can look at a calendar (!!!!!...me??) and rough some stuff out and post it up. I'll just double check traildamage for when some of the trails open up.

Another "recovery run" would be good to do , too, as we have so many new faces.Any suggestions from Pathrat would be welcome, too, as she is full of ideas.....

I might not be the best person to do this as my finances suck at the moment and longer trips are out(like Black Bear Pass and anything in that area), but this is just a suggestion. With Spring and Summer around the corner and trails opening up, getting this stuff posted would allow folks to do some planning, especially folks with kids and families...

Suggestions from everyone are welcome and appreciated, of course. And if you already have a run planned for a certain time, please add it to the calendar and to the trails run thread, especially for the longer trips as people ned to plan time around these....

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
I agree these should be added though nobody jumped at the offer. We're kind of back to where we were on the run planning from the beginning.

IIRC Funrover suggested these: 'stockers without lockers' and 'ladies run' - how about it Aaron?

A 'full size' run this year is a good idea.

Another 'recovery run' would be Pathrat's and trail cleanups have to wait until Barbour Fork re-opens. Patrolman, would this be a volunteer activity?

An Ouray run should be planned for some time after July 4th to avoid snow.

I'll check Moab, I think we have a date for this that's not on the calendar.

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Well seeing that i have a fullsize i can use it as the garbage truck and dump allot into it. For being new to the group i can see it growing fast and hence will need more organization. I dont know any trails around here so i would be useless for planning. Chris i need to put it on the calendar but i posted up for june 5th moab trip it will be a week long.

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Randy

Try going to the traildamage.com site for trails that you want to run. They have a huge selection of Colorado (as well as Utah and California) trails with pictures and videos. You can tell by watching the rigs on the obstacles if you can get yours up, over and through them, so it is a very good reference.

Charles Well's books will fill in the blanks as he tells you what the trails can be run with; full size, stock, locked, lifted, etc.

BTW, I have a 5 gallon portable air tank I meant to give you the other day. It's not going anywhere and would be nice to hook the compressor up to for a reserve.

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hey Randy

Try going to the traildamage.com site for trails that you want to run. They have a huge selection of Colorado (as well as Utah and California) trails with pictures and videos. You can tell by watching the rigs on the obstacles if you can get yours up, over and through them, so it is a very good reference.

Charles Well's books will fill in the blanks as he tells you what the trails can be run with; full size, stock, locked, lifted, etc.

BTW, I have a 5 gallon portable air tank I meant to give you the other day. It's not going anywhere and would be nice to hook the compressor up to for a reserve.

yeah thats right, ill pick it up sometime this week :) ill call before i come over

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I
IIRC Funrover suggested these: 'stockers without lockers' and 'ladies run' - how about it Aaron?

I can help. I really hope the job situation changes though. I will say after the last ladies run I can probably go more difficult.... maybe somethig like mosquito pass... HMMMM??? or should that be the stockers run....

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I've been wanting to do Mosquito for a long time!

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
If we can get a bunch of folks posting trail runs it would give everyone a lot of options. I think that Chris should post the Barbour Fork clean up runs as a starter as this is pretty important to all of us on Front Range. The only other critical run is the recovery run to rescue the stolen rig off of Medano Pass and that is going to take a little coordination. We are also confined to when Medano opens up on the recovery run and will have to stay on top of this....don't want someone thinking this is 'salvage'...

We can post everything else around these dates.

What say, Chris?

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm waiting to hear from Brant to set a date for Barbour Fork.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Roostercruiser
March 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
i might be albe to help on runs and might helpon the salvage cause i have a 16 foot trailer we could use depending on when it would be. im out for any long distance trails this year. starting april ill be working 7 days a week for at least the next 8 months or so. let me know what i could do .

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
i can offer my truck if i can help at all.

SCRubicon
March 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Plan trail runs? I better not do it. My trip ideas seem to generate about as much interest as a turd in a punch bowl. (see stockers without lockers, ccfk toys for tots and ice racing) Ellis anybody??? Only 164 days left to think about it....

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
i would have done the ice racing but i was oncall. i think i missed the stocker without lockers

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Plan trail runs? I better not do it. My trip ideas seem to generate about as much interest as a turd in a punch bowl. (see stockers without lockers and ice racing) Ellis anybody??? Only 164 days left to think about it....

I wanted to do the Ice racing.... I am mad I couldn't. I am TOTALLY UP FOR ELLIS!!

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hey sc, i looked at the photos of that run you did stocker without lockers and i will guarantee ill be in next time that looks way awesome! Every weekend i want to get out when i can so i am going to be available often. I love trails!

Brody
March 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hey...don't think that way, Steve...I am having problems with gas $$ and, coupled with some gear breakage, leaves me doing about 1/5 of the runs I did last year...including the ice run stuff....missed the damn CORE run for the same reason...I absolutely hate this economy...

I am all up for the Ellis Jeep Trail as that is far enough away that I can at least hope to have some spare gas $$ by then.

Keep posting the runs, if you would...

I thought that the stocker without lockers had some folks going last year. What happened?

I know that last year before the site crash, LaDawn and I were posting a bunch of runs that no one showed up for. Recently things seem to be different..don't know why...and we have had a really good turn out even for some of the winter stuff. I have about 25 people not on the Front Range site that I send emails to telling them we are doing a run, where to meet, etc. Not one of them, besides Bren, has ever showed up for any run...nor have they signed up on the site. And these were all 'Oh yeah...I am all about 4 wheeling! Sure, you betcha, let me know when the next run is and I'll be there" and never show...

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Past performance isn't reason to give up on an idea Steve. We've got a lot more folks here now and a lot more stockers. Let's go for it!

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have an odd idea... How about a weekend fare for the Stockers w/o lockers?

Head up friday night and camp around Dillon area. Saturday take the back highway (I-70 to HWY 91) to Leadville. From there catch Mt. Bross and then onto mosquito pass which takes you back over to around Alma them back to camp right over Hoosier pass. Depending on what rigs show up go run Wheeler Lake same day. ( I have taken a couple stock rigs there). Then Sunday for those that want you will be close to a lot of trails (Holy Cross McCallister, etc)

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
I have a few trails for the WOMENS WEEKEND RUNS

Halfmoon - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=42

Mt Bross - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=116

Yoder Gultch -http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=238

Slide Lake - http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=241

I have noticed from the last run that MUD and scenery are really important.LOL

WINKY
March 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
the only thing holding me back right now is im running snow tires that probably wont stand up to the abuse of the trails, but in 3 weeks i will have them on the rig after that watch out!

the other thing is this, those of us who are working sometimes just cant make runs, for example me, one week out of every month i am oncall and i have to be able to respond within 30 minutes to a callout and for this to happen i need to be in cell coverage to get the page or else all hell breaks lose. So i would have to stay close to denver. It sux but i gotta do what i gotta do. the other 3 weekends out of the month im free.

DETN8R
March 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yankee Hill anyone?

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
the only thing holding me back right now is im running snow tires that probably wont stand up to the abuse of the trails, but in 3 weeks i will have them on the rig after that watch out!

the other thing is this, those of us who are working sometimes just cant make runs, for example me, one week out of every month i am oncall and i have to be able to respond within 30 minutes to a callout and for this to happen i need to be in cell coverage to get the page or else all hell breaks lose. So i would have to stay close to denver. It sux but i gotta do what i gotta do. the other 3 weekends out of the month im free.

It happens.... Life often gets in the way of pleasure!

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Yankee Hill anyone?

I would like to do that one day!

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
That's a nice, relatively close run. We should plan on it.

gm4x4lover
March 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I know one thing that kills trail runs for me and probably any body who works retail is 90% of all trail runs fall on saturdays. I can only get off a few saturdays a year and most of them a filled up with my kids b-days (3) and anniversary's (1). So i only get to run maybe 2 sat trail runs.

Pathrat
March 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Those of you who have been around know that I have a very small knowledge base of Colorado trails and have to ask for suggestions on where to go, including the ChinaWall Recovery Run.

I think the Barbour Forks clean ups should be runs that take precedence. If we do another recovery clinic, it should be closer in. Again, I would need suggestions on a close in but wide enough trail.
Brody is right, IMO, in reminding about the real recovery of the stolen rig.

I was starting to look up the first aid classes and have not yet found stuff to fit our group and our budget. I still have a few calls to make though. A Red Cross class would take 8 hours, just so you all know.

And yes, I cannot always make runs when I have responsibilities I have to attend to. Steve, I do have the Friday off when your Ellis trip starts in August. I specifically asked for it off so if I could go on your trip, I would not have work being a PITA to stop me. I don't, however, have any idea if Hugh will be off.

my :2c::2c:

Roostercruiser
March 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
yankee hill i know every turn blindfolded. that my fall back trail i learned to drive on that trail and camp all the time there. ill be out of 90% of runs cause im not gonna get a day off for at least 8 months . but will try make a couple of runs. thats why im looking forward to the anniversary run it wil be my last free wekend fo a long time . funrover said it best life and responzibilty gets in the way of pleaser. do what you gotta to keep your family fed and shelterd. but im in for yankee hill its close byp

Chris
March 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I know one thing that kills trail runs for me and probably any body who works retail is 90% of all trail runs fall on saturdays. I can only get off a few saturdays a year and most of them a filled up with my kids b-days (3) and anniversary's (1). So i only get to run maybe 2 sat trail runs.

Sunday runs are good for many people though I've found more people are available on Saturdays and why I choose Saturdays for "big" ones like the 1st Anniversary and clean-ups.

Funrover
March 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM

I hear that.... I try to do Sunday runs

SCRubicon
March 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Sarcasm, sarcasm boys and girls... Don't be baited by it :D I'm only yanking chains ;)

Chris
March 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Plan trail runs? I better not do it. My trip ideas seem to generate about as much interest as a turd in a punch bowl. (see stockers without lockers, ccfk toys for tots and ice racing) Ellis anybody??? Only 164 days left to think about it....

Sarcasm, sarcasm boys and girls... Don't be baited by it :D I'm only yanking chains ;)

Are these 2 related or are you referring to something else? I didn't mean to credit Funrover with your run idea BTW, just a poor memory. (no sarcasm)

Brody
March 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM

YOU? NO WAY....Absolutely unheard of! For a fraction of a second there, I thought some of us had hurt your 'feeling' (and that is puposefully singular...)

Pathrat
March 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
YOU? NO WAY....Absolutely unheard of! For a fraction of a second there, I thought some of us had hurt your 'feeling' (and that is puposefully singular...)

Might have been the girl here in "boys and girls" for snapping that I am so going on your runs, without actually saying 'so there and :p' but sounding like it maybe.

4Runner3Wheeler
March 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I can make runs on Fridays.

I believe 5280Hawk (Braz) can also make Friday runs.

Brody, I like the idea of a night run.

Pathrat, I concur that the next recovery run should be closer to home.

WINKY
March 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
i can make friday runs with some redbull and coffee :) of course after 6 am though

Chris
March 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Always after 6am!

So who wants to pick a Friday date & trail?

Roostercruiser
March 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
im in for a saturday night run. the only day we dont have 5 kids, we will just have our two and they love to wheel

Brody
March 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Let's post a Saturday night run up soon. Keep an eye on what trails are actually open, think about driving time and distance, and how hard the trails will be in realtion to what rigs are going to go.

Essentially any trail is a cool trail at night, but let's do base the trails on the rigs that are going. We'll come up with a date, get a head count, and see what people are going to be driving, then figure out the trail.

Sound OK?