PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a bad day!

Funrover
February 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2La1THaq44&NR=1

Jimmy
February 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
If you're doing the running start approach, better learn how to shift to keep up the momentum. That poor thing sounded like it topped out at the base of the hill. :lol:

Brody
February 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I like the very quick reaction times of the sizable guy in the blue T shirt. This video was probably taken over a year ago and the blue shirt guy is finally realizing it happened. Not the kind of guy you want around you or supposedly on your side. The car could've caught on fire and this dude would 've been picking his nose while his buddies burned, trying to figure out what was happening.

Way to far from the remote and totally lost is my guess. Whole crew is probably like that, so no great loss is my guess....a mass dive experiment into the very shallow end of the gene pool. Only one guy ran over to see if anyone was hurt...I'd be kickin some butt and sorting things out later was me that rolled...

Makes me glad that I wheel with the folks I do..people are safe and they are concerned about the other folks that are with them...

Chris
February 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I like the very quick reaction times of the sizable guy in the blue T shirt.

Damn, I found myself re-watching it just to see if I was really seeing that guy right. Yeah, just the kind of guy you want around. :doh:

Pathrat
February 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
If you're doing the running start approach, better learn how to shift to keep up the momentum. That poor thing sounded like it topped out at the base of the hill. :lol:

This brings up something I have been thinking about and will post up about more in depth when back home, but what should he have done, specifically in regards to shifting, to get up and over (I can;t type all punctuation on my sister-in-laws spanish type set up computer)

Chris
February 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I think he should have re-torqued some bolts before setting off. :D

Brody
February 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
In a little Sammi 4 banger? Stayed in 2nd gear high range or 4th gear low range and not shifted at all. Maybe even in 3rd gear low range for the torque... ditto with the not shifting. Just keep the rpms up. Or learn a bit about shifting with your foot in it....or for that matter, shifting, period. From the looks of these guys, they need a set of directions on how to work their zippers when they have to pee....but that is assuming that they can read, which is somewhat debateable.....

Seeing this reminds me why I avoid those stupid icy hills that you careen backwards down if you lose traction...

Roostercruiser
February 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Seeing this reminds me why I avoid those stupid icy hills that you careen backwards down if you lose traction...[/quote]

like this helping someone else and getting stuck your self

Jimmy
February 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
This brings up something I have been thinking about and will post up about more in depth when back home, but what should he have done, specifically in regards to shifting, to get up and over (I can;t type all punctuation on my sister-in-laws spanish type set up computer)

Brody already mentioned the two things you should do:
- learn to shift the darn thing under power to generate more momentum
- start out in a taller gear (2nd vice 1st) and stay on the gas generating more momentum without having to shift

If you notice in the video, his tires were pretty caked (reminded me of wheelin' back East), so he's not getting good traction. He's also experiencing a decent bump/obstacle at the top which is more than his suspension can overcome... as well as killing his momentum. All's that's left to get him up-n-over is momentum. But... too much momentum over a big bump at the top of a hill like that and you might find yourself going end over end... especially in a short wheelbased rig like a Sammi.

Brody
February 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Nice recovery photo. There is one in my album that shows me sideways across a snowy road. I had just pulled someone (who I didn't even know) out who was stuck, started to take off and slid into a deep ditch on the side of the road. A quick winch got me out, but it was still the same thing ... more funny than anything else...

And he almost went end over end going back down...I guess some days you just can't win...

Roostercruiser
February 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Nice recovery photo. There is one in my album that shows me sideways across a snowy road. I had just pulled someone (who I didn't even know) out who was stuck, started to take off and slid into a deep ditch on the side of the road. A quick winch got me out, but it was still the same thing ... more funny than anything else...

And he almost went end over end going back down...I guess some days you just can't win...

this was ute creek and he lived up the hill and was there for an hour before we showed up and took 2 hrs to get us unstuck

scoutfam
February 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
looks like a good reason to make sure those welds are all the way through the metal.