PDA

View Full Version : One hell of a save...

Funrover
January 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRGPaiHM18

Jimmy
January 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Damn!!! I love watching rally videos.

Funrover
January 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
That is one of the best I have seen

Jimmy
January 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Oh now you've done it... I'm not sure I took a breath the whole time watching this one on Pike's Peak (it's an oldy - gotta love the HUGE wing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHnfm3LN4Q

Funrover
January 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
NICE, I really enjoy that race. I used to camp at Devils Playground and watch the race good times but it's been a few years

Jimmy
January 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
When I lived here back in '99, I priced a ticket to get onto the mountain so be on the front lines of the race - it was well outside of my budget! :lol:

Funrover
January 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah I went and camped.... I loved it Pricey yes but I was in High School and money was nothing LOL

Brody
January 31st, 2009, 04:30 AM
I just love the plain old 'hammer down' attitude of the whole rally thing. Wheels on the ground?...Hammer down!...Wheels in the air?... Hammer down! Most of my X Box games are rally games..Colin McRae (every one of them!) Rally Sport Challenge, etc, etc..In one of them with the cheat codes on, all of the B cars are available...the ones the people decided were too hot to race cause there were no restrictions and people were getting killed. The one I liked to drive the most was an 800hp Toyota Tacoma that had something like an aircraft cockpit for the back deck (an actual car, BTW)...It was about 3" off the deck, too, godawful fast, and drifted like a *******...I killed myself many, many times in that...

I came very close to doing the custom fiberglass rear deck just like that truck, but time and building a 16,000sf mansion thingy (spec home..not mine) got in the way...

Here is a link to a 1000hp (yeah...get some!) Tacoma that is very close to the one I was talking about. Love that rear fairing...you can see why I wanted one...And yeah, even in the video game it was just a little sketchy to drive:

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09/01-28-09page-1000HP-Toyota-Tacoma.htm

And here is some footage of the 900 hp Audi that raced in the Group B class:

http://www.rallybuzz.com/group-b-rally-car-helicopter-video-footage/

This last one has a great deal of video links that show just how dangerous these Group B cars were to drive. A lot of footage showing wrecks that you know the drivers didn't walk away from. The other reason these cars were banned (besides being insanely powerful, barely controllable, and probably an absolute blast to drive) was that they frequently took out large groups of spectators. Take a look at how close the people watching are to the corners and to the race cars...I always tried to take out the spectators as a matter of course during the X Box games, but the game would just bump me back to where I was before..I'm sick, I guess..bothers others more than me, too...

It's funny watching these videos cause the X Box rally games are built around footage of the actual courses. I recognized Pike and a couple of the other courses as ones I played on. One of the view options in the games is the overhead view, which I always used to rerun the course after eating my lunch on it to see where I screwed up.

Thanks for posting these up!

Roostercruiser
January 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
when i lived in belgium i saw 2 rallies up close one in italy and one in france and videos do no justice on how fast the really are going. i wish the would have it here in the u.s.. some perks of livng abroad for a while. and i saw 3 F1 Grand Prix's now thats fun to watch :drive::thunb:

Funrover
January 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM
I love to watch, but I don't think I have the guts to do it ever!

Brody
January 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have never seen the Pikes Peak race, though I have made plans to a few times. I couldn't believe how close the drivers get to the edge of the road with that kind of drop off...and how fast they are going...

One of the videos I posted of the Audi Quatro ( the 800hp Group B) has the guy in the air (just like the X Box games) more than he is on the ground...Of course he loses control a few moments after this, crashes, bursts into flames, and probably dies (or seriously wishes he had), but the initial footage is pretty wicked.

Those guys probably have a helper with a wheelbarrow to carry their cojones to the cars...

SCRubicon
February 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Great vids!

Funrover
February 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
It's a good time Pete... However I am wondering if I could bike up and camp for free next time... would I get in trouble?????

Brody
February 2nd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Probably depends on how they treat the road entryway as far as closure goes. You could maybe try the north or south Catamount trails or roads if they are still open to get to the Pike Peak road. I would look at the big Pikes Peak topo and see . The Catamounts might be closed except for service vehicles. I has been a real long time since I was up there except for the Crags and Big Pit areas...

Pathrat
February 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Funrover: Great one to post up! :thunb:

Jimmy: That looks like a whole lot of fun, except for the Drop-off Of Doom and the get killed if you screw up part to the whole thing. :)

Brody: Those people are way to close to the path of an oncoming, high speed heavy metal object

isotel
February 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wow, that driver is SKILLED!!

Did you see that if he slid 1-2 yards further he would have went off that 15'+ Cliff

Insane! I wish speedvision would bring back WRC

Funrover
February 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Wow, that driver is SKILLED!!

Did you see that if he slid 1-2 yards further he would have went off that 15'+ Cliff

Insane! I wish speedvision would bring back WRC

Yeah if I was in the seat we'd have to get a new one because that stain would never come out