PDA

View Full Version : I believe an Introduction is in order...

Haku
January 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hello All,

My name is Josh and I own a 1987 Suzuki Samurai as seen below....

http://dk09fg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pONAmuNSjA0yQOvhLu2Ha0cg206PGMgcySdNdZdualZb0j3F 2ROrNDeerQJ0UDetyz3vedRg--fAeD0eSt1rdeA/joshsammy1.jpg

I've been out wheeling for the last 3 weekends and have found some really neat trails and put my Samurai through the paces. Highly recommend Moody Hill and Crystal Mountain trails up towards Estes Park.

Hoping to both find and contribute some good info on this site about the Front Range scene. Hope you all are having a good day. Maybe I'll see some of you on the trail.

JH

Funrover
January 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the forum, nice Zuk. I have only wheeled with one but they are fun to watch! Hope to meet you on the trails!

Chris
January 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM
:welcome: Josh!

Glad to see you here! Nice looking Sammy, hope to do some runs with you before too long. If I ever get another truck it'll be one of those, something about them is very appealing to me. (probably the difference in size from mine!)

:cheers:

4runner freak
January 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Welcome Josh.

Fortress of Tranquility
January 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Nice rig! Next time you're up near Estes, check out Pierson Park and Johnny Park. See ya out there...

Haku
January 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Nice rig! Next time you're up near Estes, check out Pierson Park and Johnny Park. See ya out there...

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

FT, I definitely want to get out on those trails for sure. I really like that area a lot and had a ton of fun both weekends I went up there. We even camped out halfway up Moody, which was great if a bit cold. Wish there was stuff like that closer to Denver, but I'll take what I can get.

The Samurai is certainly an awesome package. I replaced the carb with a 4 barrel Mikuni carb off a GSXR and it really does alot for the engine. Also have new tires (SS Trxus MT 31x10.5). I love being able to fit into spaces that other ORVs can't fit, and the smaller fuel sipping motor is nice too. Just have to get some YJ springs under it so I don't lose a kidney every time I got out.

See you around, and I'll keep an eye out for trips and such.

JH

Fortress of Tranquility
January 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Slaughterhouse Gulch is another option reasonable close to Denver:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

Some other folks might be heading up there the beginning of March.

KnuckleHead
January 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Welcome aboard....

Pathrat
January 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome! Nice ride you have there! Are you new to the area or have you been here a while? There will be more posts of trail runs as the weather gets better, but many here do like to get out in the snow.

Haku
January 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome! Nice ride you have there! Are you new to the area or have you been here a while? There will be more posts of trail runs as the weather gets better, but many here do like to get out in the snow.

I've lived in CO my whole life, and the front range for 6 of the last 8 years (5 years in Boulder, 2 in Upstate New York and the last 1.5 or so in Lakewood). I got the Samurai about 6 months after moving back. I've been modifying it every since, starting with the hard top and GSXR carbs. I've actually been hitting the trails much harder in the last 2 months, mostly because I am unemployed and have more time, but also because a friend of mine got a weekend warrior too (IH Scout II mostly stock).

I did manage to get on the LHC Carnage before it closed with my friend KB (geckocycles on most boards) and some of the other runs up there. Still have some stuff I want to do to the Sammy still (YJ Missing Link and at least a spool in the rear), hopefully before much longer. Ultimately I want to switch to Toyota axles with the Electric Lockers and possibly SPOA. I want to keep my COG low though, so I may stick with spring under setup.

Beyond that I'm looking for work and trying to figure out the next activity. I am a lighting designer and technician, so this time of year is hard. Luckily, my last job laid me off, so I get unemployment, which makes it less stressful for sure.

Anyways, thanks again for the warm welcome.

JH

Brody
January 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the sight! Nice Sammi you have there! I've seen your friends 'geckocycycles posts on various boards...

You can pick up some cool deals on craigslist as far as axles go, also Yota Yard and Yota Jims. Colorado Auto Parts is getting in more Yotas, too..I posted a bunch of Toyota resources in the make and model section.

If you have a bunch of Sammi information, like vendors and aftermarket stuff, please feel free to add this info to the Sammi section!

Looking forward to wheeling with you and meeting you soon!

scoutfam
January 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Samurais are so fun. You can get them into so many places...... I have seen several on the trails and I am always amazed. Who owns that scout behind your rig.......:D sorry I have to ask being a scout owner. Anyway welcome hope to see you wheelin......

Haku
January 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Samurais are so fun. You can get them into so many places...... I have seen several on the trails and I am always amazed. Who owns that scout behind your rig.......:D sorry I have to ask being a scout owner. Anyway welcome hope to see you wheelin......

Thats my buddy and former co-worker Steve.....

http://dk09fg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1psD2TXjnqgfPf9K_M_0ltta4H59Vp9tUcnRWlomaE3AfkGRr j7wP3TDgZpAwmgtPmthnARcUei1OlPi_by3ZOFw/Stevestuck1.jpg

He bought it for like $800 about a month ago and has only done minor modifications so far. Its stock height and has the V8 engine. He took the coil springs out of the back end and replaced them with 2 inch bump stops, which made a noticeable difference in flex. His plans are to add a 4 inch lift and 2 inch body lift, put some bigger tires on it, and maybe weld or spool the rear. Its definitely a weekend warrior and a focused ORV, since he has a daily driver Ford pickup. I've been pretty impressed with how its done so far in its stock form. He did Moody and Crystal with me last weekend, and he got over some pretty big and steep obstacles.

I'm sure if you have any tips or info on a good cheap lift or any easy and beneficial mods to do, he would appreciate it.

Cheers,

JH

Chris
January 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thats my buddy and former co-worker Steve....

Invite him over here, we could use another Scout among the clan. ;)

Haku
January 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Invite him over here, we could use another Scout among the clan. ;)

Yeah, noticed its a bit Toyota heavy here. Thats OK though, they are great trucks too. Almost bought one when I was in the market last time. I'll definitely let Steve know about this forum.

JH

Brody
January 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Certainly a spool as it is so cheap and easy to do. I posted a little bit about an SOA as Scoutfam was interested, but the knowledge I had wasn't much. Jimmy posted some more. I'll see what I can dig up regarding Scouts and lifts and post the links in the make and model section.

Patrolman has a Scout and he should be posting some info up soon regarding this, too. He really has a huge knowledge base and his information is always spot on...

SCRubicon
January 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Random%20Junk/signs_38.gif

scout man
January 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM
So in case you guys didn't make the connection... I am the scout owner thats been wheeling with josh!

Brody
January 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks, because I sure didn't make the connection...