PDA

View Full Version : Medano Pass and Brett's Rig

Brody
December 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
What we, as a group, might want to start doing is researching some dates that Medano opens up and start planning a recovery mission. Post it up as a run plenty of time in advance so that as many people that want to help have plenty of time to plan. It is about a 4 hour ride to the trail, if I remember correctly, so we should figure on an overnight and all that that entails.

Been awhile since I was down there...never wheeled Blanca or much of anything else down that way...just boarded and skied the dunes and climbed in Pentitente Canyon and some stuff on the North side of Blanca way back when...

Let's get some firm commitments going, recovery gear like a trailer located and start kicking around anything else we might need to do. Let's keep the thread active enough that people don't forget about his rig being there.

I know both Aaron and Jeff said that they would go and I assume that they are still on board. I will commit myself and Ladawn, pending disasters, too.

Tye
December 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a good time to us, count the 3 of us in :woot:

Patrolman
December 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Tentatively, I could still go. Obviously depends on whether I am employed or not. Being unemployed allows for lots more time for these kinds of things!

Sold my Trackster today, so I can't make a snow run with it any longer. Happy to take the truck in though. I have a tow bar that will likely fit onto the 4Runner. Also have my tow dolly. The 4Runner is too big for my flatbed trailer though.

4Runninfun
December 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
count me in. and i might have access to a flatbed that his truck will fit on.

bskey
December 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hey all... sincerely, thanks! For a group of people of whom I have only met a couple face to face, this forum has really proved to be more than an outlet to talk about wheelin! I am in, and happy to go! I would like to go down and scout it out before anyone else spends a day or two running down there. I was in Westcliffe last weekend, and my parents house had about 4 inches of crusty snow, so I think the area where my rig is probably has twice that. My best guess at a realistic rescue is closer to March/April. Your thoughts?

gm4x4lover
December 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM
I have a heavy 20' equipment trailer and a 16' utility trailer we can use, and i have access to several atv's. Considering that we dont know what the trail looks like i also have 2 good recovery vehicles. Also if i have enough notice i can take a fair amount of time off. Does anybody have any sleds??

Also i think if we wait till the spring gets here we may be looking at a lot more snow.

It needs to be scouted and maybe only accessible by snow mobile but it would be nice to know what condition the truck is in. it may or may not have: tires that hold air, axles that will move, steering, brakes, is even in a movable position.

Brody
January 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM
No problem Brett

That was why I mentioned doing some research into when Medano Pass usually opens, which is probably March/April. Some resources are posted on the site in 'trail resources', but there are others out there, too. Check and see when people did runs on Medano or Blanca, find out from the FS if there is a seasonal gate and look to see when that has opened. Anyway, if we can get a rough time set, we can start planning it.

Thanks for the support and offers of trailers, etc.

Jimmy
January 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I was hoping for more info on Medano Pass than is listed here: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#medano

That would be a better resource if it were more popular.

gm4x4lover
January 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
In the past when i have run the pass the gates for the dunes dont open till memorial day. but that is due excessive runoff for water crossings. the trail to the gate can be passable with tire chains late April to early May.

Brody
January 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that information GM4x4. At least we are getting it narrowed down. How far were you able to get past the gate? What I have heard is that the road starts to climb as soon as you are past the sandy part which means more snow. Like I said, I haven't run this trail....I assume Brett will chime in here as to how far his rig is up past the gate...

I have a bunch of tow straps, some doubled up climbing ropes (hold about 8-9klbs) and a couple of winches. With what everyone else has, I am assuming that we can get cables or straps on it, then it will be a matter of getting it up the hill onto a trailer.

Worse case, it might not be a bad idea to bring some roller Toyota or Chevy rims. I don't have any extra, but I know that people on the site do for e-tests.

Funrover
January 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yes I am still in.

gm4x4lover
January 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
If you come from the westcliff side the gate isn't till the top of the pass. It is a little steep but nothing challenging. Coming from the westcliff side there is no sand, a couple of spots with rocks ( similar to mt herman rd), and a few tight corners. From this side once you hit the gate there are no turn offs so i imagin the trail he is refering to before the gate meaning year round access. I am not sure of the exact turn off for the trail head ( rainbow trail ) but it should be accesable come late spring and early summer. I also have some toyota rollers with tires. Most of the maps i have seen though dont show the rainbow trail connecting with medano pass.

Patrolman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly why I was hoping for GPS coordinates. I tried to find where they intersect on my maps, and I wasn't able to locate it. Obviously, coordinates would help plan a route out. Maybe there is a different route than the way it went in. Just a thought.

bskey
January 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I have been looking for the GPS coordinates that the FS gave me, but can't find them. I'll call the huerfeno county sherriffs dept soon to get that. I went in from the Westcliffe side, so I don't remember seeing a gate, and think there wasn't one, so it should be available to access year round. Whether or not it's accessable is another thing. I also have a set of mounted snow tires that I was planning to take down there when I go for the recovery, and hope to do a scouting run a week or so pror to recovery.

Thanks again for all your insight and offers to help. I'll gather those coordinates and see what we can do from there.