PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse and FS 810 and Guanella

Brody
December 28th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Some folks over on colo4x ran Slaughterhouse yesterday, then around the campground on Guanella. They also (I think), ran parts of FS 810 and 811. Anyway, not much but packed snow on Slaughterhouse, deep snow by the campground on Guanella, and deep snow off of FS 811, etc Here is the link for pictures:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=138916

Pathrat
December 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Some folks over on colo4x ran Slaughterhouse yesterday, then around the campground on Guanella. They also (I think), ran parts of FS 810 and 811. Anyway, not much but packed snow on Slaughterhouse, deep snow by the campground on Guanella, and deep snow off of FS 811, etc Here is the link for pictures:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=138916

At the risk of confusing issues, what about Guanella as an alternative to going all the way to China Wall? If need be? I know the Springs people wouldn't like this too well though. I am asking since when I have driven over Guanella, I have not paid much attention to it since it was easy and don't know if it meets our criteria.

SCRubicon
December 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Gaunella is pretty much an easy pass when no snow is on it, but it can get pretty crazy up there. Avalanches are common and one closed it down for quite a while last winter.

Chris
December 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Guanella's the same area as Argentine so it's probably not good for the same reason.

The last time I did it was in Barb's Accord which does fine on paved roads. :lol:

Jimmy
December 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If you're talking of the actual pass, then I would offer that there won't be any trees there for winching on... plus at that altitude, any damage to the tundra will take many years to recover.

Pathrat
December 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Avalanches and damage....scratch that

Brody
December 29th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Let's just stick with China Wall...

FYI:

When people say 'Guanella Pass' , they are talking about Duck Creek and all of the forest roads and campgrounds around that area. I have been up there a lot in the winter for wheeling, skiing, snowshoing and some snowboarding on some of the peaks. It is a popular spot for cross country skiing and snowboarding and gets a bunch of traffic. Bear and Bren have gone up there a lot , both in summer and winter. There are some mines that you can get to in the summer time that are right below the Continental Divide, but the road gets too bad to get to them in winter. Dave Pritchett, LaDawn and I did a snow run up there last year and posted pictures and a trip report...

The avalanches occur on the I70 side of Guanalla and all the trails that I mentioned are accessed via 285, the other side....

There are literally millions of trees....

davidpri
December 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I went on at least 4 runs last winter with Brody. It's best to travel in groups and have several vehicles with winches. When everyone can agree on a place and date, I am intrested in going on another snow adventure.
Maybe I will get the chance to winch Brody out of a Mud Pit again......

David :drive:

Chris
December 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
When people say 'Guanella Pass' , they are talking about Duck Creek and all of the forest roads and campgrounds around that area.

:lol: Not the paved road, eh? :lol:

I suspect the Duck Creek area is where Barb's been wanting to get to but have never had any idea what it's called or how to find.

Chris
December 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Pathrat, you're now seeing why I wanted to get other folks involved in this kind of planning. ;)

I've found that picking a time and place is easier and more productive than trying to gather a consensus.

consensus = nobody taking responsibility ;)

Brody
December 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Doing a consensus is like the American democracy....lots of talk and nothing getting done...I agree with Chris...

Set a time, date, place, run etc. and people will either show up or not. Trouble with the clinics, though, is that you do need some sort of pre clinic head count, similiar to a trail run.

Anyway, it is Pathrat's ball game, so she gets to do the deed....

Pathrat
December 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Pathrat, you're now seeing why I wanted to get other folks involved in this kind of planning. ;)

I've found that picking a time and place is easier and more productive than trying to gather a consensus.

consensus = nobody taking responsibility ;)

Very true, but I do have to get times/dates the people helping. I am hindered by the fact that I am ignorant about many of the trails. I did not know that Guanella was NOT the paved road. :o I will get off the fence shortly.:)

Brody
December 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM
FYI
There are two roads that bear off to the left after you get to the meadows. The first road to your left is a hard left turn and crosses an open field that eventually deadends. Duck Creek is the 2nd road on the left that goes off on a diagonal. This is where most of the camping, skiing, etc takes place. This is the area that most people (inaccuarate as it is) refer to as Guanella...There is also a popular hiking/skiing/snowshoe trail there that goes up to some peak or pass off of the duck Creek turn. I have skied it and snowshoed it, but can't remember what it is called. It is the road with the actual gate. If you follow the Duck Creek Road (for lack of a FS number or other name), it takes you way back there to where it dead ends at a couple of mines and the Divide forms a semi circle around you.

Chris
December 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Good to know, thanks!

Pathrat
December 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
You know, I think I did some of this network of roads ten years ago in the Exploder, when I first moved out here. I managed to get a large rock stuck in the fender well when I tried to go over it. It was the only rock in the clearing. Some guy was leaning on his truck, watching me, with a look of utter dismay, knowing I was an idiot tourist with a 'sploder. I do recall taking legde road back into Georgetown. Wonder where I was.