PDA

View Full Version : My gift from Santa

KnuckleHead
December 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
So there I was on my way home from the Christmas Eve party with the family when it happens. I'm on I-76 just past 120th when I hear some knocking, so I turn the radio down and at that moment a loud baaannnggg. The truck loses some power and starts shakeing really bad. I pull off the side and the truck stalls out. I pop the hood to find smoke comeing from the drivers side of the motor, OIL. It's about 11pm so I get a pull home and check today. At the bottom of the pic in the middle you will see a good size hole, yes thats in the block. looks like it blew a rod right out the side. So it looks like I'll be out for awhile till I get another motor or new truck.

Chris
December 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry your day ended so badly. :(

Have to find a bright side, 2009 should be a better year? ;)

Patrolman
December 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
What a bad way to go! At least the motors for those are relatively cheap and easy to find. It might just be easier to find a dirt cheap truck though and use this for parts :(

Pathrat
December 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
owwww....sorry to hear that. :(

Brody
December 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Having done that before (more than once), I feel for you, man.... Bad sound. I have also grenaded a rear differential-put a hand sized hole in it-and still drove it home. Also broke a transfer case main shaft, split a T case in half, ripped the rear off of an auto tranny...love those heart stopping sounds that you know are going to be 1) not cheap and 2) time consuming...

Anything you need help with, maybe I can help. Let me know what kind of engine you got and I'll start asking around....Is that the 84 Ranger??

KnuckleHead
December 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah Brody thats is the 84 Ranger. One of the worse parts is while I was looking for a job 1 day I came accross and add on Craigslist for a 2.8l for 250. All it needed was a water pump. So I re-looked for it yesterday with no luck, looks like it was sold already. The pluse side is I do finially have a job, getting there now might sting alittle,lol.

Chris
December 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Congratulations on finding a job, no easy task these days! :)

Brody
December 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Keeping my eyes out for a 2.8L and so is Jeff, I imagine. Will keep you posted.

Good going on getting a job! That was quick. I am not going to get serious until after New Years, but by then a couple of huge remodels might play out...we'll see...

Warrlord
December 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM
If you're set on keeping that Ranger, this guy (http://www.rmftc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5768) is parting his '89 out. A fuel injected 2.9 is better than a carburated 2.8.

Tye
December 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM
:mad: these things never happen at a good time, then again when is a good time?:rant:

Brody
December 27th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Ditto on the 2.9L FI! Just make sure you get EVERYTHING under the hood, plus you will need the ECU. I did the 3.0L to 3.4L swap in the Yota and got everything under the hood on the newer 3.4L. I was very glad that I did....It can't be that much harder of a swap if the beel housing and motor mounts allow a bolt up like mine did. Then you are just down to wiring and plumbing....

KnuckleHead
December 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The 2.9 is a thought but the bellhouseing for the trans is different. We picked up a 2.9 for the bug project but it needs more than I can get for it right now. I even thought, this might be a good time to put in a 302 or 5.0 in it. But as it is now money is the problem. Just starting this jobs helps out alot but there are bills to catch up on also. I might just take this time to up grade a little and get something bigger like a Jeep. Could really use a 4 door and use what I can from the Ranger on the Bug.

Brody
December 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Why not drop the bug bellhousing, engine, t case and tranny into the truck and wait on the bug project? Then, when you have the extra $$ (if there really is such a thing), pick up an engine that will work for the transmission, et al, that you stuck in the bug? Sounds like you have more time than $$ like most of us at the moment, anyway...

KnuckleHead
December 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I re-checked the motor for the Bug and I was wrong, sorry, its a 2.3 with no trans or harness. The trans from the B2 has a bullet in it and the 2.8 wont mate. Plus most of the 2.3 still needs building. The only real option I have for the Ranger is another 2.8 or just a new truck ( new to me at least). I've been looking around and have seen some Jeeps and other trucks for around 500-700 that need minor work. Nothing to major or costly. If I get a new truck then I'll use what I can from the Ranger on the Bug, that will save alot of money in the long run.

Patrolman
December 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Maybe this?
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/969776629.html

Brody
December 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Nice one Jeff!

Patrolman
December 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Kinda thought that he could drop in the trans from another truck and then have a 4 door rig like he was talking about. Just a thought...

Brody
December 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Either way would work for that wouldn't it? Either a SUV with the trans from the truck or the Ranger with the engine from the SUV. Then part the other one out and recover some $$...not bad for a $500 investment...

Funrover
December 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That is a bummer man, been there before.Never fun!

KnuckleHead
December 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I came across that 1 while I was looking around. I just don't have the funds right now. I've seen alot of good deals, that with some money I could work with. I'm trying to work out a deal with a friend of mine at this time, so I'll have to see what happens with that. Then maybe if that X is still there I can check it out or others. Thanks for keeping an eye out for something.

KnuckleHead
January 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well I got a motor and will be picking it up on Friday. It's used ofcourse and has a 30 day warrenty. I will be putting it in this weekend, so wish me luck. Thanks to all that have been keeping an eye out for me. I will keep all posted on what happens.....

Patrolman
January 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Just as an FYI, I got REALLY PO'd with a local junkyard over a motor. It had a 30 day warranty. I kept the core for longer than the 30 days to make sure I didn't need any accessory parts off the core. There was nothing at the location or on the receipt saying that I had to return the core within the 30 days too. I had paid cash. Big mistake. I would have disputed the credit card payment.

Pay for this with a credit card to protect yourself. Also, ask for when the core must be returned. IF it is a bit more than the 30 days, ask for it in writing. Just FYI to everyone else.

Hope the swap goes smooth. Let us know if you need any tips/advice! Also, plan on new clutch disc at minimum while you are in there. Also a rear main is a good idea. Cheap insurance!

EDIT: I just had a flash of genius! You have another core already, right? One with bullet holes and such? :)

KnuckleHead
January 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The place I went to doesn't do cores so I got lucky there, or yes they would have gottn a core with a bullet hole. I am planning on taking everything I can off of the old motor for spares.
Luck has me again, the clutch on the new motor is farily new so I think I'm going to save some money for now and use it. I know my old clucth is about half so I have it if I need it.
Now onto the "new", to me, motor. They had a busy day on Friday I guess so they didn't get it pulled. Saterdat they called and tried telling me that it might not be till Monday. That I wasn't haveing, so I told them get it today or I'll take my money somewhere else, 2 hours later I have my motor. By the time I got it home it was dark so I parked it and started this morning. It took a min to get it stabed with the trans but went smothe after that. It rotates nicely without any leaks or abnormal sounds, thats a good thing. The only problem I 'm haveing now is getting it to fire. I've almost got it but killed the battery. So I've stopped for the night to let it charge, I'll get back at it after work tomarrow. All in all it's looking good.

Brody
January 5th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Aren't you up by me somewhere? I am off of 62 and Wadsworth...Holler if you need a hand and I'll see if I can get over there to help..Work schedule is a little screwy at the moment, but I would be happy to help, if it works out.

303-507-3066

Patrolman
January 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ditto. I have some free time today and can usually get a motor to run. Ask Danny. I am the Timing Master ;)

KnuckleHead
January 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Sorry its been awhile, work has kept me busy, good thing these days.
Brody, I'm not really sure I live your way?, I'm in Aurora off of Peoria and Colfax.
I would like to thank you guys for your offers and help with this. With work keeping me occupied I have not worked on the truck. With the break for it I got my mind to slow down and think alittle. I went out today and re-timed, changed the plugs and wires. So far its look really good. The idle is up to normal and the slight ticking is gone. Now for the real test, I'll be out and about this weekend to see how it all goes. I will let you know Sunday how it turns out.
Again thank you for all your support, help, and offers.

KnuckleHead
January 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Well it looks like I'm back on the road. I've had the truck out all weekend and 2 days sofar this week without any problems. Could use a few little adjustments but other than that I'm back in the game....

Chris
January 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Good to hear! :thunb:

Brody
January 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Good to hear!

Patrolman
January 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
That has to be a huge relief! Now you are lucky enough to have a pair of quality engine cores!

Jeepkid
April 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
So there I was on my way home from the Christmas Eve party with the family when it happens. I'm on I-76 just past 120th when I hear some knocking, so I turn the radio down and at that moment a loud baaannnggg. The truck loses some power and starts shakeing really bad. I pull off the side and the truck stalls out. I pop the hood to find smoke comeing from the drivers side of the motor, OIL. It's about 11pm so I get a pull home and check today. At the bottom of the pic in the middle you will see a good size hole, yes thats in the block. looks like it blew a rod right out the side. So it looks like I'll be out for awhile till I get another motor or new truck.

That is exactly what happened to mine a month after I bought the damn thing

Throwin a rod is never fun

Brody
April 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Yo Jeepkid

You still have the 258ci Jeep engine or was it something else? And how new (year) is your Jeep? Is it still carbed or is it injected?

Either way, you shouldn't be out too damn much for a motor. Jeep made about a billion of these thing. Finding a good used one at a yard shouldn't be a problem.

Let us know and we will help you start to look. Probably get some help with the install here, too..